Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,685,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

Again leave it up to the military brass, stop politicizing these type of things.
In your thinking, why is it a political choice to change the names but it was not a political choice to name US. military installations after traitors who went to war to preserve and expand slavery?

Old 11-25-2020, 04:33 PM

1,065 posts, read 600,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Currently there are 10 military bases named after Confederate heroes. All are in Confederate states. Pentagon top brass plus just fired Sec. Def. Esper have indicated they are open to discussion about changing the names, due in part to a rise of white supremacy in the ranks.

Both the House*and Senate have passed the*necessary legislation to permit it by wide margins, but other*parts of the bill, not yet resolved, have delayed its transmission to the President for signature.

Our fearless leader, for reasons best known to himself, has said if the names of these facilities are changed, he will veto the $740B Defense Appropriations Bill, which will likely be sent to him before the end of the year.

Given that it is unlikely that the names will not be changed before he leaves office, rendering the issue moot in relation to him. Seems clear to me he should not veto? Agree or disagree, and why?
There is nothing great about honoring someone with a historical landmark when they fought to oppress people. It just makes the south look pathetic and desperate. Ditto, Onate in Albuquerque. This stupidity was started by widows and wives of their loser soldiers (to make them not feel bad for losing a war to make people free, go figure). It served its purpose and not necessary anymore. One less name to pay homage or statue to worship to, won't matter much to white supremacists, though - they'll think of a conspiracy or something.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 546,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Lets talk about "revisionist " history. When I was in grade school in the very early fifties, the plan was to indoctrinate us all into a revised notion of who we are, and that my friend, was truly some unmitigated BS, ANND, we believed it--Until the sixties..The entire historical re arrangement, and telling of America's past, left us with a very twisted account of barbarism and bloody land acquisition, told as a kind of fairy tale. We didn't learn about the real story of organized labor and the fact of skulls being smashed in the good 'ol US of A. The entire slavery issue was whitewashed as a kind of mistake, and women and Blacks were still subjugated in the fifties , so there was that.

Land of the free, well some weren't, land of laws, for some, and land of opportunity, but not for Blacks, native Peoples, women, or some children who were conscripted into a form of slavery in various manufacturing pursuits..So, there ya go-- a little true history goes a long way toward relieving the weight of a BS education, not to mention the fact of our modern society being much more attuned to the sordid history of America's common people..The only "utter nonsense" here seems to be ensconced in your obvious hatred for any real social justice..
I dont understand why only abuse of blacks is so much on the forefront. We have so many atrocities being committed in history.

we have so many atrocities being committed Today. we STILL have slavery. its in the form of human trafficing.

but lets go ahead and worry about names and statues.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,576,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lucky00 View Post
I dont understand why only abuse of blacks is so much on the forefront. We have so many atrocities being committed in history.

we have so many atrocities being committed Today. we STILL have slavery. its in the form of human trafficing.

but lets go ahead and worry about names and statues.
Because "abuse" of blacks is the most prominent civil rights issue in the US, not that there aren't others.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:57 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Because "abuse" of blacks is the most prominent civil rights issue in the US, not that there aren't others.
Except that there's hardly any "abuse" today by non-blacks against blacks.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,576,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Except that there's hardly any "abuse" today by non-blacks against blacks.
Some might disagree with that. Either way, no-one here has claimed there is abuse of blacks currently taking place so I don't follow your line of argument.
I put the word abuse in quotes because that's the specific term I was replying to, which I felt was setting an unnecessarily high bar. It's incontrovertible that slavery, and it's attendant ills, are the biggest blot on the US scorecard.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM

4,228 posts, read 2,544,291 times
Confederate statues in Virginia at least were a successful attempt to rewrite history. After the Civil War, Virginia was on the verge of a social revolution. Freed blacks, immigrants and poor whites combined to form the Readjuster Movement. They won control of the state for a time. The goal was to readjust the debt, provide education and voting rights for all. Their opponents were supporters of the old regime in new clothing. Gaining control again, the latter imposed Jim Crow laws in VA and constructed visual monuments to their ideals.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:24 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Some might disagree with that. Either way, no-one here has claimed there is abuse of blacks currently taking place so I don't follow your line of argument.
I put the word abuse in quotes because that's the specific term I was replying to, which I felt was setting an unnecessarily high bar. It's incontrovertible that slavery, and it's attendant ills, are the biggest blot on the US scorecard.
Were. Not "are".

It's time to leave the past in the past and focus on the present and future.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:35 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
I’m ok but I think Harvey Miller air station is not going to fly forgive the pun

Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,432,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think it is all a bunch of silliness. No one really knows who these people were. Fort Sill? Who is Sill? Fort Bragg? No idea. Moultrie? Probably some French Kenigit.
But is THAT the most important thing? What if they were named after lesser known majors in the Germany Army of WWII? It's that THEY are being honored in some way, not whether anyone knows their names or recognizes who they are now.

We are chose to honor them at some point in the past and NOW are choosing to CONTINUE honoring them by using these Confederates in naming military institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates