Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 09:15 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The US threatened China but not India on trading with Russia.

Africa seems to be the biggest recipient of Russian exports (wheat).
And Biden only seems to be worried about Europe..Germany in particular since they had to be bullied into falling in line with the US.

All is not as it seems......
One reason may be (I'm only speculating) that Germany pays promptly and in hard currency. I would assume that Africa and India,of necessity get terms, and probably higher prices, but still don't have to pay 100% in hard, cold cash. Not rubles, mind you but dollars, Euros or Yen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 10:30 PM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Not sure why Russia is being left out? If China helps Russian out of a Great Fall. They will Demand Loyalty and Payback, both will have common foes then......and guess who they may be.

Or course, Trump presidency again could be the twist Russia needs to put loyaty toward and visa versa.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:34 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
For a half century, world trade was divided into The West and The East (communist) worlds. It's should be obvious to all that we are headed that way again, the main difference being that now China (thanks to us) is an industrialized nation....

China needs us much more than we need them. We now rely on Chinese production because it was cheaper for Big Business to deal with them. If we become isolated from them again, they will suffer and we willl actually benefit by virtue of increasing jobs here and materials/product supply security.

I welcome this New World Order, but then, I'm into self-sufficiency and survivalism and don't rely on dividends and share prices for my wealth.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
For a half century, world trade was divided into The West and The East (communist) worlds. It's should be obvious to all that we are headed that way again, the main difference being that now China (thanks to us) is an industrialized nation....

China needs us much more than we need them. We now rely on Chinese production because it was cheaper for Big Business to deal with them. If we become isolated from them again, they will suffer and we willl actually benefit by virtue of increasing jobs here and materials/product supply security.

I welcome this New World Order, but then, I'm into self-sufficiency and survivalism and don't rely on dividends and share prices for my wealth.
Not going to happen. Those jobs will just go to Vietnam, Mexico, Philippians, or any other cheap labor local that isn’t openly hostile to U.S. interest. It's just too expense to manufacture in the U.S. for goods outside of high-tech items. The trade war showed that China isn't so dependent on the U.S. as we assumed. Trump learned the hard way and got a watered-down deal that isn't working.

Doubtful things will revert to pre-1980 before the start of the globalization as we know it. Decoupling will only lead to higher prices, increased inflation, and more conflicts as countries compete against one another. Besides the 70s were terrible. U.S. manufacturing output had started to decline, there was high inflation, high unemployment, and near constant threat of nuclear annihilation. Selective memory makes people ignore those aspects of pre-globalization.

I'm a fan of globalization and it’s sad to see it decline. It lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and brought an unprecedented level of convenience. I understand the benefits were not equally by Western nations citizens, but overall it was a plus. Hopefully calmer heads amongst world leaders will emerge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates