Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 10:11 AM

884 posts, read 358,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Chatham House is well respected and worth considering.
But exaggeration from the "Trump administration"? I will ask you to provide some sort of justification for aiming at Trump; perhaps you meant exaggeration DURING the Trump administration. I can find many references to debt trap diplomacy dated during the Trump years, but they had nothing to do with the executive branch of the US government.
Also, while Chatham House may challenge Sri Lanka's status as a victim, Sri Lanka itself does not. Neither does Pakistan, who asked for relief.

I'm afraid Chatham House finds itself with a minority opinion. Well worded, but wrong.
The Wire addresses the spate of articles seeking to paint China in a more moderate light.

https://thewire.in/world/china-debt-...th-asia-europe
I mean very much by the Trump administration - for example in: https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...llenge-508.pdf.

Chatham House's view is not a minority at all. Plenty of observers can see there are pros and cons:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/03/02...ent-debt-trap/
https://issafrica.org/iss-today/less...trap-diplomacy
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...lomacy/617953/

And you say Pakistan sees itself of a victim of Chinese debt? While China is their largest debtor, 70% of Pakistan's debt is owed to other countries and entities. Do you have any official record of Pakistan blaming China in particular for it's debt problems? Their debt to China has increased recently, and their debt to not-China has also increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 AM

25,607 posts, read 17,346,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
I mean very much by the Trump administration - for example in: https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...llenge-508.pdf.

Chatham House's view is not a minority at all. Plenty of observers can see there are pros and cons:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/03/02...ent-debt-trap/
https://issafrica.org/iss-today/less...trap-diplomacy
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...lomacy/617953/

And you say Pakistan sees itself of a victim of Chinese debt? While China is their largest debtor, 70% of Pakistan's debt is owed to other countries and entities. Do you have any official record of Pakistan blaming China in particular for it's debt problems? Their debt to China has increased recently, and their debt to not-China has also increased.
You should try to point out exaggerations in the state department report. I did not notice any, but to be honest I did not read the entire 50 page report. What I did read seemed pretty straight forward and conveyed the message clearly that China cannot be trusted. You disagree?

I did read the pros a cons contained within your other 3 references. The con is always the same; China may take control of assets once the host country attempted to pay for them and could not. In America it is called predatory lending. I don't know the term for it in Mandarin, but my sister would. She is Chinese (we have the same mother) and her extended family uses Mandarin routinely.

China will eventually fall apart due to population decline, just like almost all other Asian countries, who do not welcome immigrants. We have seen the apex of civilization; we should prepare ourselves for a world that is less able to provide an endless stream of stuff. Doing business with China, who views non-Chinese people as inferior easy marks, is inadvisable and could lead to world wide disaster.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:58 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,199,272 times
If there became such a "cold war", it would be started by the US. It's in our nature, not so much with others. We need to be better focused and aware of ourselves though, rather than diverting attention on others / boogiemen.

Keep in mind that China has been around vastly longer than ourselves. They have longevity on their side, and are a much more united country. Again, we need to be checking ourselves, and where any holes and cracks are appearing.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-23-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 09:07 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,383,952 times
The US starting with Nixon and Regan treated China (the school fat bully) as their new best friend, ignoring or taking for granted two friends real close: Mexico and Canada. Instead of building on an obvious close relationship, the US (especially Republican Presidents and Senators) kept infighting on building an obvious no brainer trading bloc for North America, to counterbalance Europe, Asia, and the Eastern Bloc whatever.

And now we pay.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 AM

35,146 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
My question is this: who would win this Cold War? What would the situation look like in 2050? Will USA still remain at the top despite being hit hard with covid pandemic? Will China catch up with USA and there will be two global powers? Will China suppress USA?

What do you predict?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
My prediction is that China will pass the U.S. economically but not necessarily militarily, though it will shorten the gap. There is just two much juice in their economy, and contrary to what CD posters try to present, the world is not going to stop trading with China.
Unless the U.S. pre-emptively surrenders its natural advantages it should not even be a contest. The U.S. has better resources, better education and a political and economic system that accommodates freedom. China's expansion is linked almost purely to debt. Think Evergrande, a huge real estate company on the verge of default. Other Chinese enterprises and the government are heavily debt-fueled.

As far as their growth as well as the impact of Covid, Chinese statistics are notoriously unreliable. With lack of press freedom to question and investigate one just cannot believe their figures and numbers. I believe that "investment" in China has many attributes of the South Sea Bubble. Even if there is an economy it's based on slave labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
There will not be the fall of one country like the first Cold War. The emergence of a powerful China will alter the world balance. This will turn cause the world to divide until the following spheres

- Anglosphere
- Sinosphere
- Eurosphere
- Russosphere

India will probably be powerful enough to stand alone, but not powerful enough to draw other nations into its own sphere.

In this way the world will resemble Pre-WWII. If anything Russia will probably benefit the most as it will be able to play the most sides against each other. We're already hearing rumbling about how the U.S. needs to be nicer to Russia in order to contain China. Putin must be extremely happy with current world events.
Russia's always been a siren song. What some don't realize See my reviews on CD to Blood and Oil in the Orient By Mohamed Essad Bey a/k/a Lev Nussenbaum, Putinism by Walter Laquer and Stalin: The Career Of A Fanatic by Essad Bey linked here (link). Getting a large portion of those people to work can only be accomplished, if at all, by tyranny.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:45 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,447,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Unless the U.S. pre-emptively surrenders its natural advantages it should not The U.S. has better resources, better education and a political and economic system that accommodates freedom. .
What makes you say we have a better education? I'm not all that familiar with the Chinese education system, but I am familiar with ours.

We had a niece visit us for 6 months this year. She jumped right into her 7th grade with English as a second language. She was the best student in the classes. She claimed that it was way easier here, than her former country in South America. She commented on how excuse laden the students were and how the teachers were so much easier here, than her former homeland. I was surprised to hear all this, as I would have expected our education to be better. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though, our scores seem to be constantly sliding.

I think we often get used to parroting broad statements which aren't necessarily true. Then we wind up believing them to be factual. In order to truly compete in the future, we should recognize where we may be falling short, and address the issue. Our bluster about being 'better' isn't going to carry much weight as we watch our youth spiral into gangs of illiterate/disrespectful loping looters.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
What makes you say we have a better education? I'm not all that familiar with the Chinese education system, but I am familiar with ours.

We had a niece visit us for 6 months this year. She jumped right into her 7th grade with English as a second language. She was the best student in the classes. She claimed that it was way easier here, than her former country in South America. She commented on how excuse laden the students were and how the teachers were so much easier here, than her former homeland. I was surprised to hear all this, as I would have expected our education to be better. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though, our scores seem to be constantly sliding.

I think we often get used to parroting broad statements which aren't necessarily true. Then we wind up believing them to be factual. In order to truly compete in the future, we should recognize where we may be falling short, and address the issue. Our bluster about being 'better' isn't going to carry much weight as we watch our youth spiral into gangs of illiterate/disrespectful loping looters.
Far more likely in South America is that only the "smart kids" are still in school at 7th Grade. If that is the case the classes would be at the equivalent of honors level here.

In China, no doubt, some are superbly educated. Like that girl from South America, they emigrate in huge numbers. There's a reason those people are here and the vast majority left behind.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:42 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,447,960 times
Quote:
Far more likely in South America is that only the "smart kids" are still in school at 7th Grade. If that is the case the classes would be at the equivalent of honors level here.
That is incorrect. Essentially ALL children are in school at 7th grade, save some in the countryside where there is little to no access. Population of her particular city around 2.5 million. Regular good student there, and exceptional student here. What she stated about how much easier is a partial refute of claims that the US has superior education, at this level.

Quote:

In China, no doubt, some are superbly educated. Like that girl from South America, they emigrate in huge numbers. There's a reason those people are here and the vast majority left behind.
Left behind, why is it left behind?
In her case it is rather dumb luck (Maybe wind up being bad luck), that she is here now. I think our lifestyle here is still much more comfortable generally, although it can certainly be called into question if it is superior. Our education within the cities seems to have some inferiorities at this point in time. I call into question your broad statement regarding our education being superior. Much of the product we are currently producing doesn't back that claim up too well.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:56 AM

25,607 posts, read 17,346,241 times
China strikes again, this time in Uganda. They have taken over the Entebbe airport for default of debt payment. Entebbe is the only international airport in Uganda:
https://twitter.com/TanzaniaUpdates/...52041757069321

Six years ago China loaned Uganda 200M to expand the airport. Now it is China's airport. The Ugandans were convinced that their country would become a tourism hub if they expanded the airport and made it more modern.
https://www.cowi.com/solutions/build...airport-uganda

Old 11-27-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
China strikes again, this time in Uganda. They have taken over the Entebbe airport for default of debt payment. Entebbe is the only international airport in Uganda:
https://twitter.com/TanzaniaUpdates/...52041757069321

Six years ago China loaned Uganda 200M to expand the airport. Now it is China's airport. The Ugandans were convinced that their country would become a tourism hub if they expanded the airport and made it more modern.
https://www.cowi.com/solutions/build...airport-uganda
To some extent we should emulate that tactic. I am tired of funneling money to dictators' Swiss bank accounts via soft-touch loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates