Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:22 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,524,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I think a persons Height, is more important than their Skin color. Short peoples legs barely reach the ground. hahahhaha--sorry, couldn't help it---It's Friday!!!
That's just wrong. Remember that song....short people? BTW, I am 5'2" so watch it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,209,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even in Africa, ligher-skinned Africans are preferred in situations where looks count. African receptionists, air hostesses, models, actresses, Tv presenters, tend largely to be lighter-skinned Africans. This is quite notable among women, not so conspicuous and perhaps absent among men. Similarly, within African culture, women are thought to be more attractive if they have other physical features that suggested some European ancestry, such as hair texture, lips, etc. Ethiopian and Somali women, for that reason, are thought to be more beautiful, even by African standards.

In American TV shows. commercials and movies, a black couple is almost always composed of a darker male and a lighter female. Virtually never the other way arouhd, unless some particular twist in the story line requires it. In general, it is OK for a man to be very dark, but not a woman.
Because traditionally, darker skin is viewed as a more masculine trait while fairer skin is a more feminine trait. The former wasn't originally meant to accommodate actual Black males, but it got more flexible as time passed. Increasingly darker males were allowed to be considered attractive but the process is a lot slower for females. Fair to olive skin is still considered gospel as far as women are concerned.

Think the "tall dark and handsome" leading man paired with the fair skinned maiden that you see depicted in stories and art.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,524,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Has anyone seen Sammy Sosa lately? He got bleached but claims its "moisturizer". He looks like crap.

Also wearing green contacts.

Sammy Sosa's Skin PHOTOS: Pictures Reveal White Pigmentation (UPDATE)

Again though, how many white people where colored contacts, get their hair permed, tan?
I saw the picture, he looks better black.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,470,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
That's just wrong. Remember that song....short people? BTW, I am 5'2" so watch it!
sorry bout that I was just pulling yer ---opps, nearly did it again.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,068,618 times
Well, some minorities want to rise up to in the world. There's some to go so far to even act white. But I would never do that.

Some want to be white because they're self hating or don't like themselves.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
i dont wana be white, everybody hates on them . and they gota apologize to everybody for everything, 24/7. my gosh i mean nobody does nothin wrong but them. no thanks you can keep that job.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,068,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont wana be white, everybody hates on them .
I think all races are becoming anti-white.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Well, some minorities want to rise up to in the world. There's some to go so far to even act white. But I would never do that.

Some want to be white because they're self hating or don't like themselves.
And that is a sad thing for sure. I know white folks that also hate themselves. I wonder if that a race thing, or just a Human thing. ---we should all switch Races for a Month, so we can see what it's really like. Being white today, is no bowel of cherries. We seem to get blamed for everything.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,999,986 times
Two answers for you: White privilege and anglo conformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Because traditionally, darker skin is viewed as a more masculine trait while fairer skin is a more feminine trait. The former wasn't originally meant to accommodate actual Black males, but it got more flexible as time passed. Increasingly darker males were allowed to be considered attractive but the process is a lot slower for females. Fair to olive skin is still considered gospel as far as women are concerned.

Think the "tall dark and handsome" leading man paired with the fair skinned maiden that you see depicted in stories and art.
Like Brad Pitt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates