Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:02 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,791,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
That's nonsense. The Irish were slaves, the Chinese were slaves, Christians were tortured and thrown to the lions, Russians were the slaves of Mongolians for over 300 years....hell, even American Indians kept Blacks as slaves. I could go on and on. . .

What IS your point exactly about this white greed and "biology" thing?!

I do not care.

You need to educate yourself *first* before going around talking like you do.
Educate myself? I learned all of this is my sociology class and I have a final exam in it this coming Thursday. Yes, those persons you listed were slaves. I was talking about the American slave system. The concept of race in America was created as a measure of economic and social control. First the Irish were used as indentured servants, then the Native Americans, then black Africans. The elites looked for reasons to keep the system going. People were using greed keep people as slaves. Many people used "biological" factors to make an excuse to keep black slaves. As for the Native Americans, they were used as pawns in this. The Native Americans who weren't killed off were penned up on reservations, or the ones who chose not to be on the reservations could assimilate easier into American society more so than blacks.

My point when I said race was a social construct invented by elites is that race was used as a means to keep people down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,661,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just curious. You are probably right, that at least one American Indian kept at least one black as a slave, bought from a white slave-owner by an Indian who became rich enough to behave like a white man, or stolen among the property of a massacred white man. But do you really think an isolated incident or two like this will stand up as any kind of proof or evidence of anything at all?

It is well documented that the Seminoles "kept" slaves who had run away from their white owners, but they simply protected them and adopted them into the tribe. They called them slaves, so the whites would not recapture them, but did not treat them as slaves.

Just how many Christians were thrown to the lions? One? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? None at all, it's just a parable? How do you know? Maybe you need to educate yourself before you "go around talking like you do".

The Straight Dope: Were Christians really thrown to the lions?
You are only going on the Seminoles? Is that the one subject whereas Indians are concerned that you retained? Oh wait. . NO. . you did a quick google search and retrieved your info from this one page for instant intelligence, top of the search - lol - such a shmoe. . .

African American GOLDEN LEGACY - Slavery-Indians

There is more to the history than that page, pal.

Keep Googlin'!

I suppose that you will also tell me that the white man also only kept 1, 2 or 3 Haitians, as well, over time.

You don't know what is up. . .

Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,661,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Educate myself? I learned all of this is my sociology class and I have a final exam in it this coming Thursday. Yes, those persons you listed were slaves. I was talking about the American slave system. The concept of race in America was created as a measure of economic and social control. First the Irish were used as indentured servants, then the Native Americans, then black Africans. The elites looked for reasons to keep the system going. People were using greed keep people as slaves. Many people used "biological" factors to make an excuse to keep black slaves. As for the Native Americans, they were used as pawns in this. The Native Americans who weren't killed off were penned up on reservations, or the ones who chose not to be on the reservations could assimilate easier into American society more so than blacks.

My point when I said race was a social construct invented by elites is that race was used as a means to keep people down.
I was a History major, good luck on your exam. I tried to read as much of this thread as I could last night into the wee hours of the morning - perhaps I missed where you mentioned what the differences in the biological factors were that they thought were in place? The so-called "differences," if you want to call them that, I am reluctant, continued on until 1979, when a Judge banned IQ testing in schools on Blacks after the IQ scoring system had to be lowered in 1956'ish (off the top of my head) from 80/85 to 70, because too many Blacks were being placed in special education programs. Blacks today are trying to contest this and have the ruling overturned. Is what you are referring to linked to this?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,516,925 times
I will never get why some whites like to look orange. Bottles the mind.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I will never get why some whites like to look orange. Bottles the mind.
Bottles the mind?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,516,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Bottles the mind?
when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts trapped like in a bottle- Blades Of Glory

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts trapped like in a bottle- Blades Of Glory
Ahhh, okay. I missed that line.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,438,407 times
If you read a book called "The Shipwreck of Cabeza de Vaca" you will find that Indians had slaves. Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca and the survivors of the wreck became slaves, including a black man, possible the first black in North America.

May 1, 1528: Narvaez announces his plans for the expedition to split between land and sea expeditions
Various disasters befall the expedition which eventually result in the party which includes Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca is whittled down from 80 men to 15 men and finally, to an expedition of just four men who are captured by natives

The four remaining explorers, thought to include the first Europeans in Texas, were:
  • Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca
  • Estevanico - a slave from North Africa
  • Alonzo del Castillo Maldonado
  • Andres Dorantes de Carranza
Cabeza de Vaca and the other survivors live on the Isle of Misfortune as slaves but after a year escape to the mainland. They spend the next eight years in abject hardship exploring the land of Texas and Mexico, living and trading with the natives. Cabeza de Vaca is viewed as a medicine man by the Avavares tribe
January 1536: Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca, Estevanico, Alonso del Castillo and Andres Dorantes meet Spanish soldiers of New Spain in what is now the State of Sinaloa in northwest Mexico
February 1536: The four explorers arrive at Culiacan, a frontier outpost of New Spain
July 1536: Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca, Estevanico, Alonso del Castillo and Andres Dorantes were welcomed to Mexico City by Hernan Cortes and Antonio de Mendoza, the Viceroy of New Spain
April 1537: Cabeza de Vaca leaves for Spain but Estevanico, Alonso del Castillo and Andres Dorantes stay in the New World
1537: Cabeza de Vaca reports on his eight year expedition across Texas. He also speaks of the inhumane treatment of the natives by the Spanish Conquistadors and the abuse of the Encomienda system. This coincides with new laws concerning the treatment of natives
1537: Cabeza de Vaca is granted the post of Governor of the La Plata regions (Argentina)
1537: Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca spends three years writing an account of his eight year expedition across Texas providing descriptions of his experiences, the land and the natives. It is called La relacion
1541: Cabeza de Vaca takes up his position as Governor of the La Plata regions (Argentina)

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Nobody disputed that Indians had slaves. But they, as culturally tribal Indians, did not systematically capture black slaves. Most slaves held by Indians were members of other tribes, either kidnapped or defeated in battle. when white men came into Indian territory and brought slaves with them, the Indians who were inclined to own slaved didn't really care what color they were.

This whole sub-thread is about the assertion by jeepgirl that "even American Indians kept Blacks as slaves", which is technically true, but they did not set out to set blacks apart and establish a system of slavery based on the availability of blacks. A few Indians Europeanized enough to become slaveholders, just like whites, but within the Indian context of "owning slaves", they owned whatever spoils they could acquire, and some, by the luck of the draw, happened to be black.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I was a History major, good luck on your exam. I tried to read as much of this thread as I could last night into the wee hours of the morning - perhaps I missed where you mentioned what the differences in the biological factors were that they thought were in place? The so-called "differences," if you want to call them that, I am reluctant, continued on until 1979, when a Judge banned IQ testing in schools on Blacks after the IQ scoring system had to be lowered in 1956'ish (off the top of my head) from 80/85 to 70, because too many Blacks were being placed in special education programs. Blacks today are trying to contest this and have the ruling overturned. Is what you are referring to linked to this?
You have to think about this. Many people would use such IQ scores to say "this race is inferior, therefore, they aren't worthy of being citizens". Furthermore, you have to ask questions. You have to ask: Why are the scores relatively low? What are the factors involved? Who makes the tests and what questions are asked? Could it be that there are socioeconomical factors involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates