Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Race was 'created' in a social sense.
Race was created by natural selection, a process of biology.

Race existed prior to societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
No one thought of race before societies existed. It was used as a control.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
No one thought of race before societies existed. It was used as a control.
This point of view is delusional. I have made my point, and I have no interest in discussing this further. Good day.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Race was created by natural selection, a process of biology.

There is no such thing as "race" the concept of "race" only exists to separate humans into discrete groups according to superficial physical features.

Reading about anthropology and genetics should clear up any abnormal beliefs a person has about the outmoded concept of "race".

There is no such thing as a "race". There is only one race of humans on earth. Homo Sapiens.

The differences between people are a direct result of man's migration out of Africa to populate the planet. Distinct differences in skin color, hair texture, limb length result from years of adaptation to climate and sunlight exposure. Genes favor one environment or another FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE ORGANISM and change by mutation or insertion and are passed down to future generations. That's the only difference between someone who comes from Siberia, Sri Lanka, or Senegal or any other point on the planet.

These changes originally happened very very slowly over tens of thousands of years when humans lived in isolated groups, these changes have been accelerated by genetic drift in the distant past (30000+ years ago) and today human genetic information travels much faster in modern times because of transportation like international jet travel and modern immigration.

When people stop putting so much importance on something that NOBODY had any control over before they were born to be here on planet earth, we could all actually get on with the more important things in life such as solving problems that affect ALL HUMANS on the planet. Infant mortality, disease, hunger, political strife, enslavement, human trafficking, female oppression, etc...

YOU DIDN'T SELECT YOUR PARENTS, THE NATION YOU WERE BORN IN - EVEN IF YOUR PARENTS MADE THAT EFFORT, OR THE ETHNICITY YOU WERE BORN TO SO WHY MAKE AN ISSUE OF IT AT ALL?

The subject of "race" has been beaten to a pulp and whenever I see a thread I feel compelled to point out how ridiculous this subject is.

If someone who is black wants to straighten their hair, it is their personal preference to do so. If that dark skinned person wants to lighten their skin it's their body to do so. If someone who has white skin wants to use a fake tanner, bake their skin in the sun, inject their lips until they're bee-stung it's their right to do so. If there's someone who is Asian has eye surgery or nose surgery that's their business to do so. It doesn't affect YOUR LIFE one way or the other. It's not your business, it's not your life, mind your own business.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM

123 posts, read 321,318 times
Actually, the true minority on the planet are Caucasoids. Thats why they are freakin out and producing so many WMD. They would be happier if people of any other color were wiped out.

Thay like others don't yet realize we are ONE species HUMAN.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There is no such thing as "race" the concept of "race" only exists to separate humans into discrete groups according to superficial physical features.

Reading about anthropology and genetics should clear up any abnormal beliefs a person has about the outmoded concept of "race".

There is no such thing as a "race". There is only one race of humans on earth. Homo Sapiens.

The differences between people are a direct result of man's migration out of Africa to populate the planet. Distinct differences in skin color, hair texture, limb length result from years of adaptation to climate and sunlight exposure. Genes favor one environment or another FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE ORGANISM and change by mutation or insertion and are passed down to future generations. That's the only difference between someone who comes from Siberia, Sri Lanka, or Senegal or any other point on the planet.

These changes originally happened very very slowly over tens of thousands of years when humans lived in isolated groups, these changes have been accelerated by genetic drift in the distant past (30000+ years ago) and today human genetic information travels much faster in modern times because of transportation like international jet travel and modern immigration.

When people stop putting so much importance on something that NOBODY had any control over before they were born to be here on planet earth (YOU DIDN'T SELECT YOUR PARENTS, THE NATION YOU WERE BORN IN - EVEN IF YOUR PARENTS MADE THAT EFFORT, OR THE ETHNICITY YOU WERE BORN TO SO WHY MAKE AN ISSUE OF IT AT ALL), we could all actually get on with the more important things in life such as solving problems that affect ALL HUMANS on the planet. Infant mortality, disease, hunger, political strife, enslavement, human trafficking, female oppression, etc...

The subject of "race" has been beaten to a pulp and whenever I see a thread I feel compelled to point out how ridiculous this subject is.

If someone who is black wants to straighten their hair, it is their personal preference to do so. If that dark skinned person wants to lighten their skin it's their body to do so. If someone who has white skin wants to use a fake tanner, bake their skin in the sun, inject their lips until they're bee-stung it's their right to do so. If there's someone who is Asian has eye surgery or nose surgery that's their business to do so. It doesn't affect YOUR LIFE one way or the other. It's not your business, it's not your life, mind your own business.
You are making alot of sense.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

So then you agree with me; you simply expanded upon my point, which is that race (or as you call it, "differences between people") is a product of natural selection.

Quote:
When people stop putting so much importance on something that NOBODY had any control over before they were born to be here on planet earth, we could all actually get on with the more important things in life such as solving problems that affect ALL HUMANS on the planet. Infant mortality, disease, hunger, political strife, enslavement, human trafficking, female oppression, etc...

YOU DIDN'T SELECT YOUR PARENTS, THE NATION YOU WERE BORN IN - EVEN IF YOUR PARENTS MADE THAT EFFORT, OR THE ETHNICITY YOU WERE BORN TO SO WHY MAKE AN ISSUE OF IT AT ALL?

Did you have something to contribute to the topic?

I think it had something to do with black Americans adopting traditionally white culture, and vice-versa.

Quote:
So what you're saying is, this discussion it not any of my business?

Is it any of your business, either?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
I disagree. Race is a biological construct with social and economic ramifications. Or you might say it was a taxonomic construct, which is a subset of biology.
In an idealized sense maybe, but what we use by "race" is phenotypical not genotypical. It doesn't strictly correlate to the Y-chromosome, mitochondrial, or other biological grouping.

"Blacks" really represent many "races" (in the sense of variations of people) such as the Bantu, Nilotic, etc. Africa likely has more races than any place with many of these races being black. There are somewhat less Asian races, European Australia/Oceanian races, Amerindian, etc.

For example as a Luo Barack Obama's father was likely not of the same biological variant as Yaphet Kotto, an actor who is the child of Cameroonian immigrants. However "racially" they'd have been deemed the same as "race" doesn't correspond to biological variant. In that sense it is socioculturally created.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-15-2009 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: past-tensing as Obama Sr.'s dead

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:

. Like the old saing goes..."Mind yer own business and ya won't be mindin' mine"

Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
(1) So then you agree with me; you simply expanded upon my point, which is that race (or as you call it, "differences between people") is a product of natural selection.

(2) Did you have something to contribute to the topic?

(3) I think it had something to do with black Americans adopting traditionally white culture, and vice-versa.

So what you're saying is, this discussion it not any of my business?

Is it any of your business, either?

(1) Natural selection is as simple as being 5'2" and mating with someone 6'5" in order to force taller genes in your offspring. This has zero to do with race. If you read my original post I explain why people from different regions of the earth have distinct physical features which are different from others.

The differences which you call "race" stem from groups being isolated and adapting to a particular climate and geographical region. Isolation is the key. What happens when someone flies from China and moves to Brazil. Chances are they will find a mate in Brazil and have offspring. The offspring aren't any less human, they're from parents of different ethnicities, but not races. There's only one race, that's human. It is incorrect to ascertain that because a group of humans have been isolated in a particular part of the planet are of a different race because that is simply not the case. You are genetically related to every person on the planet. The concept of distinct races is a myth.

Quote:
The differences between people are a direct result of man's migration out of Africa to populate the planet. Distinct differences in skin color, hair texture, limb length result from years of adaptation to climate and sunlight exposure.Genes favor one environment or another FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE ORGANISM and change by mutation or insertion and are passed down to future generations. That's the only difference between someone who comes from Siberia, Sri Lanka, or Senegal or any other point on the planet. These changes originally happened very very slowly over tens of thousands of years when humans lived in isolated groups, these changes have been accelerated by genetic drift in the distant past (30000+ years ago) and today human genetic information travels much faster in modern times because of transportation like international jet travel and modern immigration.
(2) I contributed to the topic by saying it's false to debate about race because there is no such thing as race.

(3) No, the original question and thread topic is "Why are minorities considered wanting to be white? Why are black people considered wanting to be white when they straighten their hair or bleach their skin, why aren't white people considered trying to be black when they tan their skins and get their lips injected with plastic". What I said was people should mind their own business and not worry about why someone straightens their hair or tans their skin because it's not for you to try to understand it's the way they choose style their appearance.

You should go back to post #1 and re-read it. In fact re-read the entire thread instead of coming in at the end.

I made this post my business just as you have by commenting on it. I don't care to judge why people alter their physical appearance, it's their body they can do what they choose with it. I don't much care for tattoos or body piercings personally, so I won't have any. I'm not going to say it's wrong for someone else, it's just not something I choose to do with my body. There are cultural, social and ethnic reasons for body modification and that's fine for some people but I'm not going to make blanket statements about those who choose to put holes in their faces that they're trying to adopt a culture or ethnicity that isn't one they're born to. It's their choice. I have seen people of Asian and European descent wear dreadlocks that are typical of Rastafarians, frankly I think they look ridiculous wearing them but, hey, it's not my business to delve into reasons why they're wearing a Rasta hair style, it's their personal preference, and their life. Honestly, deep down they know they're not Rastafarians from Jamaica... Honestly who cares!

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. So be it!

I challenge Rubber Factory to take a genetic ancestry DNA test. You will probably be surprised to learn what you discover.

If you're curious watch the video on the link below.

http://sciencestage.com/v/259/spence...e-science.html

Last edited by LuckyGem; 07-15-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates