Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No. I've never , personally, seen anything of the kind happen anyplace I have ever worked, and I've held numerous different jobs. We have a large Hispanic population where I live, and they don't seem to be disadvantaged at all. They have as many nice houses and new cars as everyone else. Good grief, if we lined up all the people who wished they were something they are not, color or otherwise, how long would that line be? The whole notion behind this thread is nonsensical.
On average though Hispanics and Blacks are poorer than whites. I'm disproportionately dealing with college students when I deal with people of other races, sadly my place of residence is very white, but even then I'd say Hispanic or Black students are much much less likely to come from families with new cars or nice houses. (The exception would be foreign students. There are some wealthy Black or Hispanic foreign students)

Not that I think that many blacks want to be "white." I think this is something of an old "white liberal" mythos. That being society makes being black so oppressive and sad they must all really want to be white. (A similar, if different, idea is that gays all really "want to be straight" because society oppresses them so.) I'm not denying there is oppression and sadness in black history, but the idea that automatically leads to self-loathing and envy is something I'm skeptical of. Still it doesn't seem implausible that some Blacks or Latinos or Amerindians do have issues with self-esteem or personal image. There are people like Bobby Fischer who not only renounced being Jewish, but became fervently Anti-Semitic. So it doesn't seem impossible. The reverse can also occur. Jazz musician Mezz Mezrow got himself placed in the black prison as he identified as black and, due to being Jewish, was able to convince a Southern white he was part black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No. I've never , personally, seen anything of the kind happen anyplace I have ever worked, and I've held numerous different jobs. We have a large Hispanic population where I live, and they don't seem to be diadvantaged at all. They have as many nice houses and new cars as everyone else. Good grief, if we lined up all the people who wished they were something they are not, color or otherwise, how long would that line be? The whole notion behind this thread is nonsensical.
Im very glad you havent seen it in your personal life. I sure have , and, an ABC's 20/20 expose done a couple years back on white and black employees of ABC trying to apply for jobs , PROVED my point very accurately. A different 20/20 expose was also conducted on facial looks utilizing two White females...and the 'better' looking female won out consistently -- both with the same qualifications . If you want to pretend theres no racial bias in America so it makes America look better to you, you can ; however, Blacks especially are at a disadvantage .. especially darker ones. (Im white by the way, but wish for equal opportunity regardless of skin color) . Theres a tremendous amount of bias in America and it comes in many forms . And this post of mine is not only sensicle, but highly truthful regardless of your opinion or personal experience. Those that dont wish to suppress reality, can see that.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im very glad you havent seen it in your personal life. I sure have , and, an ABC's 20/20 expose done a couple years back on white and black employees of ABC trying to apply for jobs , PROVED my point very accurately. A different 20/20 expose was also conducted on facial looks utilizing two White females...and the 'better' looking female won out consistently -- both with the same qualifications . If you want to pretend theres no racial bias in America so it makes America look better to you, you can ; however, Blacks especially are at a disadvantage .. especially darker ones. (Im white by the way, but wish for equal opportunity regardless of skin color) . Theres a tremendous amount of bias in America and it comes in many forms . And this post of mine is not only sensicle, but highly truthful regardless of your opinion or personal experience. Those that dont wish to suppress reality, can see that.
It's also interesting to note that, in virtually every single Presidential Election, the taller candidate won.

Can we, then, conclude that a lesser-qualified candidate won this last election because he was taller?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's also interesting to note that, in virtually every single Presidential Election, the taller candidate won.

Can we, then, conclude that a lesser-qualified candidate won this last election because he was taller?
I doubt that . While in general, I do believe the Nation would find a taller than average man a bit more desirable than a below average shorter man (like Ross Peroe)....I think other more important criteria come into effect when considering someone to run the Nation. But im willing to bet , a person who didnt like what the shorter person stood for , would CERTAINLY take note of the shorter mans stature and be willing to voice that displeasure . Remember the song called : Short People , which was popular a few decades back ???

Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM

P.S. Heres the lyrics to the Short People song : RANDY NEWMAN - SHORT PEOPLE LYRICS

Folks, please dont tell me that prejudice of all kinds , isnt rampant in America ; heres a Guy who even made some money off of singing his Bias . In America, most are 'visually impaired' .

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I doubt that . While in general, I do believe the Nation would find a taller than average man a bit more desirable than a below average shorter man (like Ross Peroe)....I think other more important criteria come into effect when considering someone to run the Nation. But im willing to bet , a person who didnt like what the shorter person stood for , would CERTAINLY take note of the shorter mans stature and be willing to voice that displeasure . Remember the song called : Short People , which was popular a few decades back ???
Short people got... no reason to live!

My point is that everybody is prejudiced on multiple levels. And that's not always even a bad thing, because just about anything can be identified as a prejudice. And if it's absurd to say that our current President got elected because he's taller (this whole "taller candidate gets elected" thing is true, by the way), it's also absurd to point at any and every prejudice as the root of racial problems.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM

[quote=Omaha Rocks;9758633

My point is that everybody is prejudiced on multiple levels. ' ....
it's also absurd to point at any and every prejudice as the root of racial problems.[/quote]

I dont think all are 'prejudiced' (using the word in a bad sense) : I do think all have a preference, a subjective opinion, from what theyve been taught, heard, or have experienced . We would be far wiser to look at the INNER person instead of how their name sounds, what skin color they have, their place of national origin, et al...

Lastly, its wasnt my intention to create a strawman regarding racial problems , if that is how you interpreted it. Suffice it to say based on evidence, that racial prejudice is still alive and well in America in all facets of American society including the Corporate world.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
There are at least six distinct level as which a white can perceive a black, on an ascending scale of discrimination.

1. Blacks are recognizable by their color and other cues, but otherwise, they' re pretty much the same..

2. Blacks have, by their own choice, placed themselves in a different social harmonic, and function and circulate in a cultural and social milieu that is different from the whites, which sometimes militates against cross-racial understanding.

3. Acculturating with the above associations has worked to the disadvantage of blacks, who thereby place themselves at odds with economic opportunity and acceptance.

4. Most black individuals are inferior to whites, because their subculture fails to meet their needs to compete with whites successfully on a level playing field.

5. Blacks are genetically inferior to whites and cannot hope to match white achievements.

6. They shouldn't even be allowed to try to be equal to whites..

Just about every white American would fall into one of these six categories.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are at least six distinct level as which a white can perceive a black, on an ascending scale of discrimination.

1. Blacks are recognizable by their color and other cues.

2. Blacks have, by their own choice, placed themselves in a different social harmonic, and function and circulate in a cultural and social milieu that is different from the whites, which sometimes militates against cross-racial understanding.

3. Acculturating with the above associations has worked to the disadvantage of blacks, who thereby place themselves at odds with economic opportunity and acceptance.

4. Most black individuals are inferior to whites, because their subculture fails to meet their needs to compete with whites successfully on a level playing field.

5. Blacks are genetically inferior to whites and cannot hope to match white achievements.

6. The shouldn't even be allowed to try.

Pretty much the same can be said for every racial group. Just substitute racial names.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

1. Blacks are recognizable by their color and other cues, but otherwise, they' re pretty much the same..

6. They shouldn't even be allowed to try to be equal to whites..

Can you elaborate on Point #2 along with specific examples, for our edification ? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates