Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
davey123, bless your heart, but it has been mentioned to him quite a few times by quite a few people. There are only so many ways you can explain the same concept to a person before you just have to concede that they are not interested in understanding another point of view. In his mind, any mention of the disadvantages of minorities (any minority, because he doesn't even want to acknowledge institutionalized sexism), like some sick Pavlovian response, he goes into rant on "we all want to be victims".
You know, unculturedmom, you can knock of the little passive-aggressive stuff of talking to me through a third person. This isn't junior high.

But I will continue to use YOU as a perfect example of all manner of racial animosity, bigotry and prejudice - and an example of a person who continues to blame all the world's woes on Whites. In fact, you may actually be worse than Topolis - which is really saying something. I shudder to think what you're like in real life, if you're this hateful on a forum.

It's pathetic, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
My thought about the light skin/dark skin thing is that it has to do with projecting an image of leisure. Perhaps light-skinned people want to be tan because it implies that they have the time to lay out in the sun all day. Dark-skinned people may desire light skin because it implies that they are not required to work outdoors.

The same thinking can be applied to weight. In times gone by, a rotund figure was considered attractive because it meant that a person had more than enough to eat. Today, being thin is more attractive. I suspect that's because it implies money to eat a healthy diet of whole foods rather than a diet of processed food, which is cheaper and packs on the weight.

As far as the desire for full lips, it probably has to do with projecting youth and, by extension, sexual appeal. As people age, particularly Caucasians, their lips thin out. Plumping creates a more youthful look. Likewise, yellowing teeth are also a sign of aging, which accounts for why whitening products are so popular.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-14-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The careful reader will note that I did not endorse any of the six points, but merely listed them as perceptions that some white people harbor about blacks in our community. Accordingly, I will not endeavor to give you examples that would justify the attitude conveyed in Point 6, either. I believe the attitude exists among some people, and they can supply you their own specific examples, for your edification.
Can you supply any from your experience ?

Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I said the premise of the THREAD, not your post genius, and I'm not trying to supress any realities. I don't deny that their are issues of racial disparity, but to many people are crying wolf about it. That is a reality that IS being supressed. Crying 'racism', or 'discrimination' has become a tool of revenge. Someone is denied a job, access to a club, what have you. Rather than looking at qualifications, proper dress and appearance, attitude (thats a biggy) if the denied person happens to be a minority, they take the easy road and say it was all about race, sex, etc, even if it was not. Thus the REAL cases, the ones that do deserve attention, are not looked at as seriously as they should be.
And...thank you for the accolaides.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You know, unculturedmom, you can knock of the little passive-aggressive stuff of talking to me through a third person. This isn't junior high.

But I will continue to use YOU as a perfect example of all manner of racial animosity, bigotry and prejudice - and an example of a person who continues to blame all the world's woes on Whites. In fact, you may actually be worse than Topolis - which is really saying something. I shudder to think what you're like in real life, if you're this hateful on a forum.

It's pathetic, really.
I wasn't being "passive-aggressive and talking to you" through someone else. I was being pretty straighforward and talking ABOUT you to someone else. It was pretty clear, therefore not passive at all.

And for someone who likes to point out that this is not junior high, maybe you should take a little bit of your own advice, eh? I mean if ayone here is behaving immature it's you. I mean telling a poster "his mommy's calling him for supper" and calling posters "little twits" and referring to me as a "little girl" and a b**** is pretty sad, no? I mean if my great grandpa acted that way, I sure would be embarrassed.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
This is also true. That is why many scholars argue that racism is tied to "power." The argument is that racial prejudice exists with ALL groups. However, not all groups are accorded equal power. Thus, when racial prejudices get expressed, they have less of a negative impact (at an institutional and societal level) on groups that have power, and a much greater negative impact on groups with less power.
Yep, it's systemic racism. And it's argued that racism that doesn't include systemic racism isn't racism at all, but prejudice. The semantics of these terms can get fuzzy, though.

Quote:
I wasn't being "passive-aggressive and talking to you" through someone else. I was being pretty straighforward and talking ABOUT you to someone else. It was pretty clear, therefore not passive at all.

And for someone who likes to point out that this is not junior high, maybe you should take a little bit of your own advice, eh? I mean if ayone here is behaving immature it's you. I mean telling a poster "his mommy's calling him for supper" and calling posters "little twits" and referring to me as a "little girl" and a b**** is pretty sad, no? I mean if my great grandpa acted that way, I sure would be embarrassed.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yep, it's systemic racism. And it's argued that racism that doesn't include systemic racism isn't racism at all, but prejudice. The semantics of these terms can get fuzzy, though.
Braunwyn, I completely agree. It's as if there are two definitions of racism.

Definition 1. prejudice and discrimination based on race

and 2. prejudice and discrimination based on race with the power to enforce it.

Sometimes people can be using the same word, but fly right past each other because their definitions are completely different. Adding the power aspect to it, makes a big difference.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:

You can start by being honest.

You can end by realizing that when somebody tells you something that's true about you, and you don't like it, that's YOUR problem.

On the other hand, you're perfectly welcome to continue to make excuses and blame Whites for everything that's wrong in the world. Why stop now?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM

And what should I be honest about? Please enlighten me about myself oh wise one.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
And what should I be honest about? Please enlighten me about myself oh wise one.
You're too cowardly to talk to me directly, so you talk to me via somebody else.

Cute. Real cute. But, as I said, you can live in Junior High if you want.

And yes, you certainly do enjoy eternal victimhood, and the perpetual blame game, don't you? It's SO much easier than taking responsibility for your own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates