Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 09:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,596,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In an idealized sense maybe, but what we use by "race" is phenotypical not genotypical. It doesn't strictly correlate to the Y-chromosome, mitochondrial, or other biological grouping.

"Blacks" really represent many "races" (in the sense of variations of people) such as the Bantu, Nilotic, etc. Africa likely has more races than any place with many of these races being black. There are somewhat less Asian races, European Australia/Oceanian races, Amerindian, etc.

For example as a Luo Barack Obama's father was likely not of the same biological variant as Yaphet Kotto, an actor who is the child of Cameroonian immigrants. However "racially" they'd have been deemed the same as "race" doesn't correspond to biological variant. In that sense it is socioculturally created.
In case there's any confusion I mean like combination of haploid groups, etc. I don't mean like Kotto is different in some profound way from Obama. Obviously this "biological variant" I speak of is a very minor thing. I do think there are "races" in a sense, but I'm not meaning like there's some profound difference between them. There is some differences between me and a Khoisan, but that doesn't make her like an alien or other species and I fear that unclear. If so, deep apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,482,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In case there's any confusion I mean like combination of haploid groups, etc. I don't mean like Kotto is different in some profound way from Obama. Obviously this "biological variant" I speak of is a very minor thing. I do think there are "races" in a sense, but I'm not meaning like there's some profound difference between them. There is some differences between me and a Khoisan, but that doesn't make her like an alien or other species and I fear that unclear. If so, deep apologies.
So then you're perfectly fine claiming that the same "biological variants" apply between Norwegians from Irish, as the Danes are from the French?

Your analogy seems very murky and not based upon any tangible scientific fact, because they're not differences in race but in ethnicity and the same applies to the African tribal groups you mentioned in your previous post, not based upon any distinct racial category, but ethnic and cultural.

If you're curious. Watch the following link.

http://sciencestage.com/v/259/spence...e-science.html

Last edited by LuckyGem; 07-15-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,596,624 times
Well no there are mitochondrial haploids, or whatever it is, found in Bantu DNA but not Norwegians. Or in Japanese and not Pygmies. I don't know if these have any significance in biology, but they aren't something I invented.

There are also differences in rates of color-blindness or multiple sclerosis in different population groupings. Huntington's, I believe, is predominately found in white people.

I'm not saying these things are all that significant. I'm certainly not denying we're all related. Of course I'm related to Obama or Kotto or the Japanese Prime Minister somewhere down the line. I just meant that slight variations exist among populations and matters in some genetic conditions. My type of OI is believed to be more common in the Shona of Zimbabwe than in black Americans or Norwegians. This doesn't say anything about the average Shona, Norwegian, or me. It does seem to exist though and can't be a cultural creation. (Unless they are intentionally encouraging OI Type III to have large families in a way no one else is, but I think that's unlikely)

Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,438,889 times
Lucky Gem

There are human races, but there's only a Human Specie.
All Humans are Homo Sapiens Sapiens and they are 99,99 identical.
Different human species disappeared 30.000 years ago (Neaderthals).

Canids (dawgs) are different.

You've got different Canid species.
Wolfs, hienas, lycaons, jackals, dingos.
But even considering that are different species, they can procreate and are very similar.

A redneck cracker and a bosquiman are 99,99 identical.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,522,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

You obviously didnt go to my high school . There were loads of white kids that wanted to be black.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,080,003 times
Haven't read the entire thread. But this is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO BE WHITE - NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!! We might want to have equivelant pay, take the similar vacations, live in a nice area, etc. but that makes us human. Make no mistake BLACKS don't want to be white. Sure there are blacks that color their hair and or wigs but what white girls, or asians, or hispanics, etc. don't color their hair blonde or use blue contacts? Man I know plenty of white women who wear hair extensions and color their hair blonde. At one time blacks in this country had to pass for white just to survive but feeling the need to be white, don't think they had that issue either. Many races wish they had the God given talents Blacks have. This is just a STUPID thread.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,722,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Haven't read the entire thread. But this is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO BE WHITE - NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!! We might want to have equivelant pay, take the similar vacations, live in a nice area, etc. but that makes us human. Make no mistake BLACKS don't want to be white. Sure there are blacks that color their hair and or wigs but what white girls, or asians, or hispanics, etc. don't color their hair blonde or use blue contacts? Man I know plenty of white women who wear hair extensions and color their hair blonde. At one time blacks in this country had to pass for white just to survive but feeling the need to be white, don't think they had that issue either. Many races wish they had the God given talents Blacks have. This is just a STUPID thread.
So tell us how you really feel.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
(1) Natural selection is as simple as being 5'2" and mating with someone 6'5" in order to force taller genes in your offspring. This has zero to do with race. If you read my original post I explain why people from different regions of the earth have distinct physical features which are different from others.
The differences which you call "race" stem from groups being isolated and adapting to a particular climate and geographical region. Isolation is the key. What happens when someone flies from China and moves to Brazil. Chances are they will find a mate in Brazil and have offspring. The offspring aren't any less human, they're from parents of different ethnicities, but not races. There's only one race, that's human. It is incorrect to ascertain that because a group of humans have been isolated in a particular part of the planet are of a different race because that is simply not the case. You are genetically related to every person on the planet. The concept of distinct races is a myth.

(2) I contributed to the topic by saying it's false to debate about race because there is no such thing as race.
I was about to type out a rebuttal, but the reality is that we have the same grasp of the same concept.

The difference between my point of view and your point of view here is purely semantic. You and your ilk seem to think that the concept of race is some offensive man-made concept, existing for no other reason than to divide people against one another.

My view is that race exists as a legitimate but subjective taxonomic classification of human beings with similar genetic traits, who evolved under similar conditions (mainly climate).

In my view, your perspective is analagous to saying:

"There is NO such thing as hot climate and cold climate... there is only a bunch of weather, it is all part of the same system."

You're not wrong, you're just deliberately and obstinately shutting down any intelligent conversation about whatever distinctions exist. And believe it or not, not everyone sees racial characteristics as something evil. Not everyone feels the need to sweep them under the rug, and pretend like they don't exist. Not everyone feels the need to declare one is better or worse, or that one is right or wrong.

Quote:
(3) No, the original question and thread topic is "Why are minorities considered wanting to be white? Why are black people considered wanting to be white when they straighten their hair or bleach their skin, why aren't white people considered trying to be black when they tan their skins and get their lips injected with plastic". What I said was people should mind their own business and not worry about why someone straightens their hair or tans their skin because it's not for you to try to understand it's the way they choose style their appearance.
I think your statement was irrelevant.

Quote:
I challenge Rubber Factory to take a genetic ancestry DNA test. You will probably be surprised to learn what you discover.

If you're curious watch the video on the link below.
If you'll pay for it, I will absolutely take it. I've thought about it before.

I haven't the foggiest idea why you think I'd be surprised. You seem to be making assumptions about me.

Last edited by le roi; 07-16-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,482,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I was about to type out a rebuttal, but the reality is that we have the same grasp of the same concept.

The difference between my point of view and your point of view here is purely semantic. You and your ilk seem to think that the concept of race is some offensive man-made concept, existing for no other reason than to divide people against one another.

My view is that race exists as a legitimate but subjective taxonomic classification of human beings with similar genetic traits, who evolved under similar conditions (mainly climate).

In my view, your perspective is analagous to saying:

"There is NO such thing as hot climate and cold climate... there is only a bunch of weather, it is all part of the same system."

You're not wrong, you're just deliberately and obstinately shutting down any intelligent conversation about whatever distinctions exist. And believe it or not, not everyone sees racial characteristics as something evil. Not everyone feels the need to sweep them under the rug, and pretend like they don't exist. Not everyone feels the need to declare one is better or worse, or that one is right or wrong.

I think your statement was irrelevant.

If you'll pay for it, I will absolutely take it. I've thought about it before.

I haven't the foggiest idea why you think I'd be surprised. You seem to be making assumptions about me.
A hot climate is a hot climate, a cold one is cold. That makes zero sense what you posted. They're not racial characteristics because there's no such thing as a race. You can find dark skin on an East Indian, or an aborigine in Australia, does that make them black or of African Descent? No. You make zero sense at all believing there's "racial" traits.

I am not shutting down any discussion on the physical differences between humans, I EXPLAINED IT TO YOU IN DETAIL. You're the one choosing to say that the differences are because of "race".

You ignored the video link I posted didn't you.

It explains that your "taxonomic" categorization of humans is incorrect.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
A hot climate is a hot climate, a cold one is cold.
Hot climates have cold days; do we then say that there is no such thing as "climate" ? By your logic we would.

Quote:
You can find dark skin on an East Indian, or an aborigine in Australia, does that make them black or of African Descent? No.
Indeed, different races often share similar characteristics as a result of migration patterns and settlement in different parts of the globe.

So what? I didn't claim we were different species. I claimed that within our species, there are genetic patterns with a classifiable temporal and geographic origin.

Quote:
I am not shutting down any discussion on the physical differences between humans, I EXPLAINED IT TO YOU IN DETAIL. You're the one choosing to say that the differences are because of "race".
I say the differences are "race", which is a result of climate.

You say the differences are a result of climate, and that there is no such thing as race.

The only distinction I see between these two perspectives is vocabulary.

Quote:
You ignored the video link I posted didn't you.

It explains that your "taxonomic" categorization of humans is incorrect.
I just watched all 22 minutes of it.

In his words, he gives a "whirlwind tour of how we populated the globe."

Yeah? So what? He doesn't say anything that contradicts my point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates