Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Color of skin is based on the pigment in the skin. if the skin produces a lot of this pigment your skin is darker. less your makes your a lighter color. or am i wrong? gee.
It's not just about the colour of your skin that factors in matters of race. Asians have an extra eye fold, small noses, and more petite body frames. Blacks have thicker lips, wider noses, and different hair texture. If you bleached out the skin of black people, they still wouldn't look like regular white people. And the same goes for Asians. If you bleached the skin of the typical Asian person, they wouldn't pass for being a white person. And different races also have certain different types of body builds. Asians tend to have little to no butts, and longer torsos. Depending on where in Africa a black person originated from, some have big butts, or are very skinny and lanky like that model Alek Wek from Sudan or Iman from Somalia. And I remember reading about some small African nation that is convinced that Whoopi Goldberg is one of their own based on her physical features, but she hasn't acknowleged any of their gestures of friendship.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:48 PM

72,989 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's not just about the colour of your skin that factors in matters of race. Asians have an extra eye fold, small noses, and more petite body frames. Blacks have thicker lips, wider noses, and different hair texture. If you bleached out the skin of black people, they still wouldn't look like regular white people. And the same goes for Asians. If you bleached the skin of the typical Asian person, they wouldn't pass for being a white person. And different races also have certain different types of body builds. Asians tend to have little to no butts, and longer torsos. Depending on where in Africa a black person originated from, some have big butts, or are very skinny and lanky like that model Alek Wek from Sudan or Iman from Somalia. And I remember reading about some small African nation that is convinced that Whoopi Goldberg is one of their own based on her physical features, but she hasn't acknowleged any of their gestures of friendship.
But this is the thing, how does it happen? I am a firm believer that people tend to be products of their environment for the most part.

My other question is regarding physical features and the consequence of it. Whether or not the statement is true is one thing. Another thing is, what is the purpose of mistreating someone because they have particular features? Most persons of African descent have thicker lips, wider noses, and different hair texture. I am not in denial of that, as I am Black myself. The question I pose is why should a person be treated poorly for it?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
There is racism because there is ignorance and the desire to control/have power over others to make one's self feel bigger.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
But this is the thing, how does it happen? I am a firm believer that people tend to be products of their environment for the most part.

My other question is regarding physical features and the consequence of it. Whether or not the statement is true is one thing. Another thing is, what is the purpose of mistreating someone because they have particular features? Most persons of African descent have thicker lips, wider noses, and different hair texture. I am not in denial of that, as I am Black myself. The question I pose is why should a person be treated poorly for it?
Define what you mean about being treated poorly for looking physically different.

I believe in equality between the races in terms of civil rights, educational and job opportunities and living wherever they want to in the US. And if we were co-workers, I would treat you as any other co-worker based on your quality of work and personality. The colour of your skin wouldn't make any difference to me. As to how much I respect any human being in my life, that is earned not a automatic given. The harder you work towards your goals, the more I would respect you. And I don't believe in affirmative action for anyone.

But... as an individual, it is still my choice whether or not we become close friends based on our personalities, common interests, morals, and lifestyles. And it's also my personal choice in terms of whether or not I find you or any other man attractive enough to want to date or marry.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
There is racism because there is ignorance and the desire to control/have power over others to make one's self feel bigger.
I think that is too broad a statement. Many of those you think are racist or disliking another culture or lifestyle just don't want any of it in their lives. They just would rather avoid the interaction or culture clash, and really don't think about being superior to the other group.

Let's say I would rather avoid Puerto Rican Day activities in NYC. It's just not a cultural event that appeals to me. I don't hate those celebrating it, I'm just not interested in the emotions and festivities involved with all that flag waving and parading around. And no, I probably will never try to live in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in the US. But the same goes for Italian neighborhoods also. They tend to have those Virgin Mary in the clamshell statuaries in front of their houses. I'm also not keen on those Chinatowns or Asia Towns either. But I will visit their neighborhoods for their yummy restaurants. And I would never want to change any of those ethnic neighborhoods. I'm guessing that they are also very happy there too.

So it's more a happy separate but equal sort of way of life going on in those ethnic areas. Whatever. I just think some of you are too paranoid that about thinking that others that don't seem to like you are actually thinking that you are inferior to them. Most likely, those people aren't thinking very much about you at all. More of an out of sight out of mind situation, until there is some actual face to face contact.

As an Asian American, I know that we only make up 6% of the US population. So there are times where I will be in a predominately white area and I will stand out because of my appearance. No biggie. I just act normally like everyone else, and everything is fine. Sure, once in a while some non-Asian person will ask me some question about my heritage, but I don't let it get to me much. I am still a bit peeved that right after Obama's inauguration, some white guy asked me if I felt any different. Of course, I didn't feel any differently. Having a black man, or rather half black man in office was no big deal to me. Asians don't identify with what the blacks went through in this country. We had our own different Asian experience thing going. So there is no reason to lump all the minority races together.

Actually, today a black delivery guy from Florida asked me if I had any Native American blood in me. So there's an example of a black person being racially aware of others having different heritages. We all have two eyes, and we are using them constantly to look around us.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty much the same thing I said(the control part), with some other things added.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
miu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Pretty much the same thing I said(the control part), with some other things added.
For the record, I have absolutely no desire to control black people. I don't hate them or even feel superior to them. I just want to coexist with them peacefully but not have their culture forced on me. I don't want to talk about black slavery or how the whitey keeps minorities down. I'm not interested in being forced to celebrate MLK day or recognize black history month, but the same token I won't try to force an Asian history month or a Chinese new years day on them either.

But do be my good co-worker or fellow student, or well behaved neighbor, I have absolutely no objections to that.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
For the record, I have absolutely no desire to control black people. I don't hate them or even feel superior to them. I just want to coexist with them peacefully but not have their culture forced on me. I don't want to talk about black slavery or how the whitey keeps minorities down. I'm not interested in being forced to celebrate MLK day or recognize black history month, but the same token I won't try to force an Asian history month or a Chinese new years day on them either.

But do be my good co-worker or fellow student, or well behaved neighbor, I have absolutely no objections to that.
Well, MLK day is no more forcing black culture on you than Columbus day is forcing white culture. I, however, have absolutely no objections to the Chinese New Year as one more excuse to celebrate!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I think that is too broad a statement. Many of those you think are racist or disliking another culture or lifestyle just don't want any of it in their lives. They just would rather avoid the interaction or culture clash, and really don't think about being superior to the other group.

Let's say I would rather avoid Puerto Rican Day activities in NYC. It's just not a cultural event that appeals to me. I don't hate those celebrating it, I'm just not interested in the emotions and festivities involved with all that flag waving and parading around. And no, I probably will never try to live in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in the US. But the same goes for Italian neighborhoods also. They tend to have those Virgin Mary in the clamshell statuaries in front of their houses. I'm also not keen on those Chinatowns or Asia Towns either. But I will visit their neighborhoods for their yummy restaurants. And I would never want to change any of those ethnic neighborhoods. I'm guessing that they are also very happy there too.

So it's more a happy separate but equal sort of way of life going on in those ethnic areas. Whatever. I just think some of you are too paranoid that about thinking that others that don't seem to like you are actually thinking that you are inferior to them. Most likely, those people aren't thinking very much about you at all. More of an out of sight out of mind situation, until there is some actual face to face contact.

As an Asian American, I know that we only make up 6% of the US population. So there are times where I will be in a predominately white area and I will stand out because of my appearance. No biggie. I just act normally like everyone else, and everything is fine. Sure, once in a while some non-Asian person will ask me some question about my heritage, but I don't let it get to me much. I am still a bit peeved that right after Obama's inauguration, some white guy asked me if I felt any different. Of course, I didn't feel any differently. Having a black man, or rather half black man in office was no big deal to me. Asians don't identify with what the blacks went through in this country. We had our own different Asian experience thing going. So there is no reason to lump all the minority races together.
Actually, today a black delivery guy from Florida asked me if I had any Native American blood in me. So there's an example of a black person being racially aware of others having different heritages. We all have two eyes, and we are using them constantly to look around us.

I guess I am not you. I am African-American, but I will go to things such as Greek festivals, Chinese New Year festival (this year's festival was particularly meaningful for me because I was born in the year of the tiger, 1986 and this year is also the year of the tiger, 2010) , and other types of ethnic activities, even if they aren't part of my heritage. I know I will stand out in many ways. I just enjoy it anyway. My view is this: We all have different experiences, but there is still something there for us all to share.

Some of you? What kind of comment is that? I don't think you really understand. I think you look at it as me being "paranoid" because you don't think the same way I do. I do take alot of things personally. Maybe it has to do with the way I grew up, but I don't think the same way. If I am out at night alone, my view isn't going to be "if I see a Black guy, I will be afraid", and this is coming from someone who was mugged by three Black men. I just stick with the reality that anyone can be a criminal and do me harm and exercise vigilance with everyone. Part of why I take it personal is because I do my best not to think in that manner or treat others in that manner.

At least we can agree on that, if we both went into a White neighborhood, we would both stick out. With that said, the reaction of a Black face is going to be very different from seeing someone who is Asian. I have been in the company of other people who would say bad things about Asians. While some people do not like Asians, I hardly ever hear of anyone being scared of Asians. I do hear about people being acutely suspicious of African-Americans and in some cases fearing them. In my case, I get the occasional heckler or ignorant fool screaming stuff at me. And I kind of get the idea that Asians had a different experience than African-Americans. For African-Americans, it was coming to this nation against their will. The same thing happened to some of the Chinese people who came to the USA. On that mode, African-Americans as a whole are all descened from slaves brought over in the transatlantic slave trade and were basically kept slaves for over 250 years. Most Asians(the operative word being most, as I am aware of some Chinese laborers were brought over by force) came for opportunities and thus, a different narrative. Africans were all brought here by force, with no say in the matter. Once slavery was over, there were 90 more years of Jim Crow racism. Asians in the USA were subjected to prejudice and all kinds of restrictions, as were African-Americans. African-Americans eventually got tired of it and took it to the streets. Part of why a Black man in the oval office means so much to alot of people has to do with the history of this nation and the fact that many people are products of some of the uglier parts of that history.

A Black guy asked you if you were had Native American. I don't think that is a bad thing. If he was asking it because he didn't like Native Americans, then it would be a matter of prejudice. Otherwise, curiosity isn't a bad thing. Some people ask if I have some Native American in my blood(and I do have some Native American in my blood).

My own paradigm is different from others. Part of why I react to things a certain way. I do take it personal sometimes when there are people treating me like an inferior, whether it is covert or overt. I take it personal because I wouldn't do that to someone. I look at it like this. My ethnicity has been treated horribly over the past 2 to 3 centuries and I would never want to do that to someone else.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

I didn't say you wanted to control people. I was talking about those who are racist, who do think of themselves as superior to others, who do hate on others. What I was trying to say is that the reason racism has been around is that alot of people want control over others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates