Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A valuable link, but totally irrelevant to either the question at hand or your argument, an article which establishes the a justification isn't the same thing as establishing the existence of a subspecies for humans, which by the way the article does not even mention.

I would think that will all those tons of literature establishing unequivocally the existence of a phylogenetic family of humans that you could do better.
Nothing in my post et seq was intended to do anything other than to rebut this absurd statement:

"there is no scientific basis for the existence of race."

Which does not direct itself at Homo sapiens in any way.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Agree? With what?

When you have a singles species, no subspecies that's it, period, the end.
I agree with this statement. Just as there are many races of people but one single species.

Originally Posted by ovcatto
"There are many "breeds" of dogs but there is but one single species, canis lupus familiaris."

Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nothing in my post et seq was intended to do anything other than to rebut this absurd statement:

"there is no scientific basis for the existence of race."

Please highlight where there was a single mention of the word "race" in your link?
Do you read your links? Apparently you don't since the article was a defense of taxonomy i.e., subspecies!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I agree with this statement. Just as there are many races of people but one single species.

Originally Posted by ovcatto
"There are many "breeds" of dogs but there is but one single species, canis lupus familiaris."
Ah, so now we are into intelligent design!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I'll come back when folks want to discuss ether the development of the concept of race, or scientific evidence for the existences of race as a valid classification or humans.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I just would like some input as to why is there racism?
Maybe because no one will stop talking about it and whining about it. It is hard to forget about it when it is all you hear about.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Please highlight where there was a single mention of the word "race" in your link?
Do you read your links? Apparently you don't since the article was a defense of taxonomy i.e., subspecies!!!
I explained earlier that "race" and "Subspecies" are inerchangeable terms for the same concept (the taxonomic level below species), and that scientists use the word "subspecies" because they are sick and tired of getting death threats from nazi wannabes who have a pathological phobia for the word "race". If there is such a thing as subspecies, there is such a thing as race, and vice versa.

You are apparently in the death-threat group, because you do not know that the two words mean the same thing, and you think they are talking about something else., so they don't hurt your tender feelings.

If there is a scientist who has written the same article, but used the word race instead of subspecies, you people have already assassinated his character and hounded him out of the faculty.

I have made my position abundantly clear.
1. Scientists generally acknowledge the validity of 'subspecies'
2. The word means the same as 'race'
3. Humans are biological entities and the rules of taxonomy apply equally across that spectrum.

I have implied nothing else. Unless you are prepared to show that one of those statements is irrefutably false, you will do well to stop mortifying yourself. Other readers are beginning to feel embarrassed for you and switching off.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-27-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
About one-third of White Anglo-Americans have African markers in their DNA from ancestors who were born into the U.S. Black community but then passed through the color line to redefine themselves as White. I say "Anglo-Americans". What was interesting was learning that non-Hispanic White Americans were also mixed. The DNA evidence of this was uncovered in 2001 but it is has been confirmed by many studies and we have begun to see regional variations among groups.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Why Did One-Drop Spread Nationwide in 1910? (C20) - a knol by Frank W Sweet#

Not to account for Indian blood.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If people see 8 out of 10 communities that have a black or Hispanic majority have a larger number of social problems that comparable white communities (of similar economic demographics), then many people will become afraid of black or Hispanic people moving into their community. (While they understand that many African Americans and Hispanics are good people who will not cause social problems) but they believe they will more likely cause problems based on averages.

Correct . Some come here and assimilate and have good lives, others come to take and live the same as they did in third world .

In the past we paid attention to those who came to plunder and devalue Then our leaders founda huge voting block of those who came to take . We stopped watching leaders and they turned on us with race cards and used race hustlers to destroy both minoritiy and whites . Now we all will soon live in third world .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates