Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

For some reason, even criminals feel that sex crimes against minors are the lowest of the lows. The pedophiles are the first to get gang raped in the bathroom at the pen.

I stand to believe that people who commit pedophillia, or rape, or other sex crimes are just wired to do these things. In that case, we need to either lock them up, or keep them away from children all together.

Now I'm not talking about some 21 year old who is dating a 16 year old. While it may be wierd, they are only 5 years apart in age, and we see couples like that dating all the time. There are exceptions to where some sex criminals need to be dealt with a little easier. We need a justice system and judges that can determine the difference between just wierd, and whats awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
For some reason, even criminals feel that sex crimes against minors are the lowest of the lows. The pedophiles are the first to get gang raped in the bathroom at the pen.

I stand to believe that people who commit pedophillia, or rape, or other sex crimes are just wired to do these things. In that case, we need to either lock them up, or keep them away from children all together.

Now I'm not talking about some 21 year old who is dating a 16 year old. While it may be wierd, they are only 5 years apart in age, and we see couples like that dating all the time. There are exceptions to where some sex criminals need to be dealt with a little easier. We need a justice system and judges that can determine the difference between just wierd, and whats awful.
So, of the 60-million Americans who are survivors of child sex abuse, how many of the perps are just weird, and how many are awful? How many of them need to be dealt with "a little" easier than being permanently locked up for the remainder of their natural lives? In an institution that you gleefully gloat features systematic abuse.

Sex offenders have the lowest recidivism rates of any types of crime. By most measures of recidivism, sex offenders are in the 5-15% range, and nobody has ever shown data suggesting higher than about 35% with very suspect and manipulated data. Meanwhile, the recidivism rate for nearly all other classes of felonies is consistently in the 60s. Why does everybody keep repeating the blogosphere lies that sex offenders always repeat? Anybody who says sex offenders always repeat is immediately casting their entire argument into utter uninformed foolishness at its very foundation.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sex offenders have the lowest recidivism rates of any types of crime. By most measures of recidivism, sex offenders are in the 5-15% range, and nobody has ever shown data suggesting higher than about 35% with very suspect and manipulated data. Meanwhile, the recidivism rate for nearly all other classes of felonies is consistently in the 60s. Why does everybody keep repeating the blogosphere lies that sex offenders always repeat? Anybody who says sex offenders always repeat is immediately casting their entire argument into utter uninformed foolishness at its very foundation.
Could you point me to some of the recidivism sources?
I'd be curious how warped the statistics are by the cases of the 19yo with the 15yo type situations. (which I don't think should qualify as sex-offense)
Those people aren't going to come out and start up with other felonies.

Consider the recidvism rate for 1st degree murder. I would suspect it's fairly low given the number of people getting long sentences or life in prison etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
OP -

You should never use the terms "hard on" and "sex offender" in the same title.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
So, of the 60-million Americans who are survivors of child sex abuse, how many of the perps are just weird, and how many are awful? How many of them need to be dealt with "a little" easier than being permanently locked up for the remainder of their natural lives? In an institution that you gleefully gloat features systematic abuse.

Firstly, your 6 million number is an opinion you are now stating as fact, a guess you admit as a guess in your previous post, that ignores repeat and serial offenders.

Second, each and every murder of a child who was sexually assualted before dieing horribly that has made national news was killed by a repeat predator who was released due to your bleeding heart mentality.

Third, according to the DOJ...

Of the almost 9,700 sex offenders released in 1994, nearly 4,300 were identified as child molesters. An estimated 3.3 percent of the 4,300 released child molesters were rearrested for another sex crime against a child within 3 years. Most of the children they were alleged to have molested after leaving prison were age 13 or younger.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Press Release: Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994 (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/press/rsorp94pr.htm - broken link)

That is nearly 145 CHILDREN who were molested by people who never should've been allowed out into society again. That is also a one year statistic you cherry picked as well, and doesn't include every child predator either. Even the site notes that, although inherently flawed, this is the largest followup study done to date, a glaring mistake that only serves to put children in harm's way...

The data are from a study that documented levels of recidivism among all 272,111 men and women released from state prisons in 15 states in 1994. The 272,111 included 9,691 male sex offenders. The 9,691 are two-thirds of all the male sex offenders released from state prisons in the United States in 1994. The study represents the largest followup ever conducted of convicted sex offenders following discharge from prison and provides the most comprehensive assessment of their behavior after release. The report, "Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994" (NCJ-198281), was written by BJS statisticians Patrick A. Langan, Erica L. Schmitt and Matthew R. Durose. Single copies may be obtained by calling the BJS Clearinghouse at 1-800-851-3420. Following publication this document can be accessed at:

This study, a waste of tax payer money, doesn't include WHO did not molest again, how many of those released were a case of a false report or mistaken identity, or how many were the result of a long term relationship where one person became the age of majority first or the couple were within years of each other and one merely a minor. IN other words, people clearly NOT child molesters.

How many children must a predator harm, how many lives must be destroyed by that individual, before YOU consider that person unfit for society?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

I don't believe that the majority of sex offender repeat their crimes. I think that the stastics get waterd down by the 19 and 15 year old situation.

Who is just weird, well the 22 year old who is attracted to a 16 or 15 year old girl, thats just weird by most folks definition. However, weird isn't awful.

Now, some 40 year old man kidnapping an 11 year old girl, holding her for 18 years, raping her, and forcing her to have two children, thats awful.

See the difference. That 40 year old creep should be locked up for the rest of his days. The 22 year old shouldn't even be classified as a sex offender, IMO.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I think you should look how the entire lives of the people they rape are affected...

Oh boo hoo for the rapist who did not giving a flying f*** about anyone in the first place?
I don't think so. I would prefer to see them hacked to death with a salted machete.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could you point me to some of the recidivism sources?
Bureau of Justice Statistics Press Release: Recidivism of Sex Offenders Released from Prison in 1994 (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/press/rsorp94pr.htm - broken link)

Of the released sex offenders, 3.5 percent were reconvicted for a sex crime within the 3-year follow-up period,

Sex offenders were less likely than non-sex offenders to be rearrested for any offense –– 43 percent of sex offenders versus 68 percent of non-sex offenders. But sex offenders were about four times more likely than non-sex offenders to be arrested for another sex crime after their discharge from prison –– 5.3 percent of sex offenders versus 1.3 percent of non-sex offenders.

Please read the above paragraph carefully. It does NOT say that 43% of ses offenders commit sex crimes after release. It says 5.3% of those who re-offend do.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
That's generally what I'm referring to. 19 year old guy, say late high school early college student dating a 14, 15 yo girlfriend. They have a sexual relationship or perhaps meet online. Dude gets caught, has to go to jail for some time and register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Harsh?

I completely agree about rape and molestation. That's sick. I'm more referring to consensual acts.
If the 19 year old would pick on someone 17 and up maybe I would have sympathy. Anyone under 17 is too young for a 19 year old. Don't have life skills or common sense to stay out of trouble.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:

Of the released sex offenders, 3.5 percent were reconvicted for a sex crime within the 3-year follow-up period,

Sex offenders were less likely than non-sex offenders to be rearrested for any offense –– 43 percent of sex offenders versus 68 percent of non-sex offenders. But sex offenders were about four times more likely than non-sex offenders to be arrested for another sex crime after their discharge from prison –– 5.3 percent of sex offenders versus 1.3 percent of non-sex offenders.

Please read the above paragraph carefully. It does NOT say that 43% of ses offenders commit sex crimes after release. It says 5.3% of those who re-offend do.
I have already replied to this incomplete study above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates