Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

52 posts, read 120,611 times

Advertisements

You have got to be kidding me. I don't think there is such a thing as being "too hard" on them.
How come if you rape someone, basically destroy them emotionally, you get 1O years in jail?
What the Hell is with that? That's disgusting, any kind of sexual assault and you should be done.
End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM

218 posts, read 799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The problem is that 14-year-olds can't legally consent to sex.
This is dependent on the state you live in. A 19 yo having sex with a 14 yo is legal in at least 4 states and possibly more. You can find more information at this site. (http://www.4parents.gov/sexrisky/teen_sex/statelaws_chart/statelaws_chart.html - broken link)

Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Why do I "clearly have money" for endorsing a cheaper alternative to the current system?

I jsut happen to be out on comp for an injury substained almsot a decade ago while on-duty as a vol. fire fighter that decided to rear it's ugly head.

We ARE paycheck to paycheck people.

BTW, why do you refuse to acknowledge how much tax revenue is currently spent on a failed penal system?
LOL.....Why do you feel the need for me to acknowledge how much tax revenue is currently spent on a failed penal system? I think the figures speak for themselves. I feel more inclined to acknowledge the fact that an extremely large amount of tax revenue is spent (wasted) on a failed justice system...which has led to a failed penal system!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
LOL.....Why do you feel the need for me to acknowledge how much tax revenue is currently spent on a failed penal system? I think the figures speak for themselves. I feel more inclined to acknowledge the fact that an extremely large amount of tax revenue is spent (wasted) on a failed justice system...which has led to a failed penal system!
And yet you try to call me to task for advocating something that just might be an effective penal system, cheaper, and actually create some real punishment.

Why is that?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Civilization is not measured by what a tiny number of its criminals does. It is measured by what the entire society collectively does.

Actually it is measured by a number of things. A civilized society does not let adult people who rape children walk free. Period.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Actually it is measured by a number of things. A civilized society does not let adult people who rape children walk free. Period.
I didn't realize that 'letting them walk free" was being proposed by anyone.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Default Too easy on criminals, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think we are too easy on criminals... and that includes sex offenders.
With both direct and indirect costs, we're looking at taxpayer's forking out $50k a year per prisoner.

Universal health care, decripit bridges and infrastructure, better mass transit, better schools, potholed streets---it can all wait! Building more prisons and jails that will stretch, eventually, from coast to coast, border to border should be a higher priority. Anything to keep people safer.

Prison and jail sentences should be doubled or tripled or quadrupled.

What's wrong with such a free country as ours having 1 out of 5 people working as prison guards? Afterall, we are the leaders of the Free World
and what's wrong with other countries following our lead?

Sex offenders should never, ever be released.

LOL!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
All of them need their weiners whacked off.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't realize that 'letting them walk free" was being proposed by anyone.
There have been several proposals on this board that after these types of criminals serve 5, 10 years, whatever, they have served their time. In addition, they currently ARE walking free - I have two sex offenders (rapists of children) in my immediate neighborhood. They are free, not in prison. That is the way the system is working right now.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Weiners whacked off?

And women sex offenders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates