Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
"Better 1000 innocent men locked up than one guilty man roam free."
-Dwight K. Schrute.
That's dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I am also highly suspicious of your 60 million number as well, another estimate.

And life time institutionalization is hardly "medeival". Child molestors are serial offenders. We lock serial murderers and serial arsonists away as well to keep our society safe from them.

There is no concievable reason to think that serial child molesters are any different, or should be treated any different.
As I have to point out over and over, every day, my 60-million comes from one of your advocacy group websites, which I have linked to twice, including in post #20.

The posters I have a difference with are the ones who insist on locking up forever every single person who has ever offended even once. Textbook medieval form of punishment.

There is every reason to think molesters are different, as is proven by the Bureau of Justice statistics on recidivism, which shows rates for sex offenders much much less likely to reoffend than every other type of criminal. Also linked in post #20.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
Pedophilia is a mental disease like any other. Now, some here have said excecution is the answer, but I don't agree for one reason:

If you believe as I do that pedophilia is a mental defect, then institutalization, and further down the line, treatment, would be in order. It would be nice if we could get pedos to fess up before they touch a kid, and going medeval is not the way to do that.

Now, having said that, in cases like Jaycee Dugard or the Megan's Law case, that's different. Then capital punishment is necessary.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Pedophila is not a disease or treatable. It's a fixation, like a shoe fetish or something, but one with no regard for decency or the rights of other people or dependent people.
For that matter, anyone who coerces sex (from a child or another adult) is fixated on that kind of encounter for satisfaction. Ain't no treatment gonna change it.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As I have to point out over and over, every day, my 60-million comes from one of your advocacy group websites, which I have linked to twice, including in post #20.

The posters I have a difference with are the ones who insist on locking up forever every single person who has ever offended even once. Textbook medieval form of punishment.

There is every reason to think molesters are different, as is proven by the Bureau of Justice statistics on recidivism, which shows rates for sex offenders much much less likely to reoffend than every other type of criminal. Also linked in post #20.
We are going in circles.

It is exectly those types of predators that DO attack again that need to be locked up for life. What part of SERIAL CHILD MOLESTERS are you missing.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
We are going in circles.

It is exectly those types of predators that DO attack again that need to be locked up for life. What part of SERIAL CHILD MOLESTERS are you missing.
What part of "Lock ALL offenders up forever and cut their weeines off" are yu missing? How did you get so far in life, when you have such a difficult time undertanding people's use of the word "all"?

Just in the past few minutes, there is a post that says every person who has ever thought a young girl looked sexy ought to be placed into an enforced psychiatric lockup. "If you believe as I do that pedophilia is a mental defect, then institutalization, and further down the line, treatment, would be in order."

Pedoplhilia is no more a mental defect than a desire to set things on fire, or to drive 120 miles an hour, or kill animals, or eat an entire chocolate cake, and all are extremely common. But acting on those desires is in violation of the law and social customs, and society needs intervention strategies for people who do not control that desire. Peo0ple who successfully control them are harmless.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
What part of "Lock ALL offenders up forever and cut their weeines off" do you not understand? How did you get so far in life, when you have such a difficult time undertanding people's use of the word "all"?

Just in the past few minutes, there is a post that says every person who has ever thought a young girl looked sexy ought to be placed into an enforced psychiatric lockup. "If you believe as I do that pedophilia is a mental defect, then institutalization, and further down the line, treatment, would be in order."

Pedoplhilia is no more a mental defect than a desire to set things on fire, or to drive 120 miles an hour, or kill animals, or eat an entire chocolate cake, and all are extremely common. But acting on those desires is in violation of the law and social customs, and society needs intervention strategies for people who do not control that desire. Peo0ple who successfully control them are harmless.
And I am one of these people?

Why are you even argueing with me?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
And I am one of these people?

Why are you even argueing with me?
Sorry, I misinterpreted you. When you responded to my post by saying "we are going in circles', it did not occur to me that you were agreeing with me. My bad.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I misinterpreted you. When you responded to my post by saying "we are going in circles', it did not occur to me that you were agreeing with me. My bad.
Thank you.

Though I am not agreeing with you totally.

Perverts who clearly molest a child (the proverbial 40 year old molesting a 13 year old) should be institutionalized for life on the first conviction. These are the types that go on to molest as many children as they can get their grimmy mitts on.

There is no cure and no treatment for these individuals, so they should be removed from society for the remainder of their lives.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,721 times
Quote:

Yet the 'desire' to rape or molest a child is the same 'mental defect' as the desire to eat a whole chocolate cake. Huh. I thought you said molesters were different? As evidenced by the DOJ statistics? Although they are less likely to be arrested again for any offense, 43% vs 68%, sexual offenders are four times more likely to be arrested again for another sex crime than non-sexual offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates