Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well they make mistakes on other crimes like that all the time. Whats the difference? I know what you are saying but with the tech of rape kits today things are little more slam dunk.
Not always.

There is still room for error.

Especially in our inhrently flawed legal system.

While it si the best we have to work with today, it's degraded itself to "Innocent unless they have a better lawyer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Why are we housing and feeding these repeat offenders? Why are hardworking citizens paying taxes to build new prisons? I know this is going to offend some people....don't care, simply stating my own opinion...but it wouldn't take 24 years to eliminate the 6 million (and I don't CARE or intend to debate the numbers) selfish, evil monsters if they executed say...... 50 per day? When those "proven" repeat offenders, or ones who are "serial" rapists or pedophiles are found guilty, they should be eliminated at once. What kind of bizarre society do we live in that allows them to live....fed, clothed, housed, in an environment where they're raped. My God! It's okay for murderers to RAPE as long as they're raping pedophiles and rapists? For cryin' out loud...it's still rape...and happening in the prison systems....and we're feeding and housing them! I am totally PRO execution for these monsters. I don't see that they're any different than rabid dogs! ......and yes! I AM a child molestation victim and have many, many acquaintances who are survivors as well. I am a "surviving" rape victim, raped simply because I did a good deed at the age of 18 y.o.... allowed a man who had been drinking, to sleep on my couch, rather than have to drive home and possibly get in a wreck, get a DUI, etc. We protect our children with our lives.....never completely trusting ANYONE. That keeps our kids safe, but it also causes a crap load of stress. You always look very closely at people.....watch them like a hawk. It's sick that we live in a society with so little consequence for serious crimes, that these monsters have no fear of consequences.
Are you willing to kill a few innocents to ensure the truely guilty are "punished"?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
A five year sentance in such an institution would be, IMHO, more than enough puishment for rape.
If the victim of the rape were you, your mom, your dad, your partner, your young adult son or daughter, your brother or your sister threatened and terrorized at knifepoint, would you think 5 years in Supermax would be sufficient for a perpetrator?

Having on occasion worked with both the victimizers and the victims of this crime, the victims appear to serve much longer sentences. Think of what it would be like to be sound asleep in your own home and to awaken with a knife at your throat and to have your life changed forever. Five years doesn't seem like much time under those circumstances.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do these sex-offender threads keep popping up in order to enable some bloodthirsty cadre an opportunity to froth at the mouth and reverse a thousand years of civilization, to take us back to the papal inquisitions, bent on torturing people.

"What kind of bizarre society do we live in that allows" people to advocate the most gruesome of tortures and wholesale executions against members of our society?

"Proven repeat offenders" is a very tiny number of people. They are so rare, that the chances are virtually zero that you or your family will ever be endangered by one of them. The overwhelming majority of them victimize only members of their own family.

"It's sick that we live in a society" in which there are so many people who dedicate their lives to trying to tear other human beings limb from limb.
I see lots of concern in your posts for offenders, attempts to minimize the occurrence of repeat sexual offenses and lots of railing against those who advocate punishment for perpetrators. So what about the victims? Any thoughts about them?

What would be your approach for dealing with those arrested for forcible rape and for child molestation/rape?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Are you willing to kill a few innocents to ensure the truely guilty are "punished"?
Read what I wrote...... before you start you ridiculous babbling...read every word that I wrote.....not what you would like to read in between the lines...but the actual words written in my post....you know, the ones like.....PROVEN.....REPEAT.....PROVEN.......ETC. Instead of simply being an argumentative fool, read what's written before attacking. You're like a predator......stalking its prey....jeezus, take your meds and find a quiet corner to hide in.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
I see lots of concern in your posts for offenders, attempts to minimize the occurrence of repeat sexual offenses and lots of railing against those who advocate punishment for perpetrators. So what about the victims? Any thoughts about them?

What would be your approach for dealing with those arrested for forcible rape and for child molestation/rape?
Just the other day, I posted my concern about victims that I bet you never think about. The perfectly innocent children of those 2-million people that people like you have already gleefully sent to long prison terms---children who have to live without a parent. And if their parent ever gets out of prison, can never get a decent job.

I rail against people who advocate indecent, brutal punishment, and seem to bubble over with enthusiasm for making the punishment as inhumanly horrible as possible.

The founders were very careful to make sure that if my family member were a victim of a crime, I do not get to sit on the jury. Has it occurred to you that there is a good reason for that?

And, thank you for being civil in your post. If there were more people like you, I wouldn't be so inclined to rail.

And watch out for those Morningstar veggie bites. They contain lethal doses of sodium.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-31-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Read what I wrote...... before you start you ridiculous babbling...read every word that I wrote.....not what you would like to read in between the lines...but the actual words written in my post....you know, the ones like.....PROVEN.....REPEAT.....PROVEN.......ETC. Instead of simply being an argumentative fool, read what's written before attacking. You're like a predator......stalking its prey....jeezus, take your meds and find a quiet corner to hide in.
1. The manner in which you format your posts makes them difficult to read.

2. "Proof" is relative. Some 15 year old girl with a grudge against her stepdad isn't proof. Even DNA evidence isn't one hundred percent accurate.

Now, please answer my question.

Would you be willing to risk the lives of a few innocents to ensure the guilty are killed?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do these sex-offender threads keep popping up in order to enable some bloodthirsty cadre an opportunity to froth at the mouth and reverse a thousand years of civilization, to take us back to the papal inquisitions, bent on torturing people.

I'm sorry, I think you're mixed up. People who rape children (and that's what we're talking about here, so stop throwing in all the 15yo dating a 19yo examples) are the ones without civilization, taking us back to the days of brutes forcing themselves on anyone.

A grown man raping an 8 year old, yeah I would call that torture. Are you really asking who the sick one's are?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I'm sorry, I think you're mixed up. People who rape children (and that's what we're talking about here, so stop throwing in all the 15yo dating a 19yo examples) are the ones without civilization, taking us back to the days of brutes forcing themselves on anyone.

A grown man raping an 8 year old, yeah I would call that torture. Are you really asking who the sick one's are?

Civilization is not measured by what a tiny number of its criminals does. It is measured by what the entire society collectively does.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
There have been many people who were proven guilty in a court of law, executed, and then we've found out later that they were actually innocent.

Yes, we have executed innocent men and women in this country. They were proven guilty, and sentenced by a jury of their peers.

So, until we can get this whole judicial thing perfect, I say we no longer execute.

Anyway, I don't think it should be the state executing them. The state represents me, and these guys never did anything to me. I say you give the family of the vicitim the opportunity to take their vengnece. If they don't have the stomach for it, then the guy is just locked up, not executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates