Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
sexual offenders are four times more likely to be arrested again for another sex crime than non-sexual offenders.
And that's not to mention the many perpetrators that continue to offend/victimize for years on end and to never be arrested or re-arrested. Most of the victims I have met professionally and otherwise had perpetrators who were never arrested. Many molesters are experts at manipulation. Victims fear reporting because of the fear, guilt and shame that has been inculcated in them. You can't generally tell molesters by looking at, talking to or being in close proximity to them. Victims that report to family members are sometimes not believed or otherwise discouraged from revealing what has happened to them. Some are even blamed for what happens to them.

I had never heard of molestation until I started working a good many years ago and began to hear people's stories of abuse. Some had never told anyone about it. Child rape/molestation was just unfathomable to me back then and, I thought, very rare, sick exceptions. Subsequently, I heard not just from clients but from the occasional friend or acquaintance of their experiences. Some were assaulted by strangers but more by a family member or other trusted adult, including clergy, teachers, police officers. You name it. A couple of friends from our school social group confessed they were being molested by their fathers throughout a good part of their school years when I saw them five days per week and sometimes visited their homes. These men were your average appearing dads.

For every person who told their story to me, I wonder how many I may have known who didn't talk of their experience. Still hard to believe after all this time what people can do to innocent children and often try to justify or deny it to themselves and to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is sure looks like you're talking about the predator's perspective, to me.
Boggles the mind!

Quote:
By the way, if you're wondering how I know anything about the predator's perspective----within all-male company, a man will say an awful lot of things about his thoughts and feelings that he would never tell his girl friend.
Not sure if you're saying you hang out with predators or not.

If not, the only thing I can say is that thoughts and feelings speak to character. It takes action to make a molester. Some people are pretty much all talk with their buddies. Still, I can't imagine an honorable man hanging out with and/or giving audience to any other man/men who would give voice to "the predator's perspective" as their own. Many men just wouldn't. That would give the appearance of acceptability, if not approval, to what is said. We really are known by the company we keep and by what we tolerate from our cronies.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
You don't always get to choose the people whose comments you overhear.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 AM

45 posts, read 75,282 times
As a correctional officer that has worked with and dealt with all types of criminals, id say we are WAY 2 EASY on sex offenders... I cant fkn stand them, we even seperated them from other criminals, so they wouldnt get hurt... but anyone that preys on women and children, scaring them for life! I had one inmate in particular that was a complete a$$hole, he was in for raping his 3 MONTH old daughter, now she unable to EVER have children!!! he only got 2 yrs!! and in prison they had tv, 3 meals a day, and mostly acted like high school kids and played games all day... it was a fkn vacation 4 them... they dont have to work, pay bills or accept any responsibilities..
THEY RAPE OUR KIDS, AND WE PAY FOR THEIR VACATION WITH OUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS!!!!
R U KIDDING ME??? if i had it my way they would all get the death penalty, no questions asked!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katandmike View Post
As a correctional officer that has worked with and dealt with all types of criminals, id say we are WAY 2 EASY on sex offenders... I cant fkn stand them, we even seperated them from other criminals, so they wouldnt get hurt... but anyone that preys on women and children, scaring them for life! I had one inmate in particular that was a complete a$$hole, he was in for raping his 3 MONTH old daughter, now she unable to EVER have children!!! he only got 2 yrs!! and in prison they had tv, 3 meals a day, and mostly acted like high school kids and played games all day... it was a fkn vacation 4 them... they dont have to work, pay bills or accept any responsibilities..
THEY RAPE OUR KIDS, AND WE PAY FOR THEIR VACATION WITH OUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS!!!!
R U KIDDING ME??? if i had it my way they would all get the death penalty, no questions asked!!!
So... it's okay to MURDER criminals? They are living human beings too.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katandmike View Post
You're not telling me what I don't already know---about correctional officers. I grew up in a town where the main industry was a prison. I went to school with kids whose dads were correctional officers, and who grew up to be correctional officers themselves. I know what kinds of savage brutes are attracted to the profession of correctional officers.

Correctional officers are what made Abu Gharaib possible. Correctional officers are what made the Gulags possible. Correctional officers are what made Pol Pot and Idi Amin possible. Correctional officers are what made Dachau and Buchenwald possible. Correctional officers tortured and murdered 12-million Jews. Not because they had to. Because they wanted to. It was in their nature. I can spot you from a mile away.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-05-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 07:39 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So... it's okay to MURDER criminals? They are living human beings too.
The answer to that question is, "YES."

Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
You're not telling me what I don't already know---about correctional officers. I grew up in a town where the main industry was a prison. I went to school with kids whose dads were correctional officers, and who grew up to be correctional officers themselves. I know what kinds of savage brutes are attracted to the profession of correctional officers.

Correctional officers are what made Abu Gharaib possible. Correctional officers are what made the Gulags possible. Correctional officers are what made Pol Pot and Idi Amin possible. Correctional officers are what made Dachau and Buchenwald possible. Correctional officers tortured and murdered 12-million Jews. Not because they had to. Because they wanted to. It was in their nature. I can spot you from a mile away.
This is an example of engaging mouth (or key board) before engaging brain. Abu Ghraib? The Gulags? The Nazi death camps? How, pray tell, do these examples correlate to US prisons? How do you compare the SS or the KGB/GRU to our prison guards? Abu Grhraib was soldiers , young soldiers in a war zone. "Savage Brutes" says you? How..... colorful. Even if what you say is remotely true, who would you suggest we have gaurding the vermin in our prisons? The cast of some Disney movie? Please cite a CREDIBLE source to support this position. Beyond a couple examples of what you might, or might not, have seen in a prison town as a lad. I have many friends who herd convicts. There are four , large, prisons near here The two biggest being Carson City Max, and Lovelock medium. I don't see the sloping foreheads and jutting jaws that you describe as being the norm. These guys are tough, thick skinned and born again hard, but should we expect them to be otherwise? By the same token , they love their wives and kids, and contribute , in a positive way, to the community. LMAO, the guys they have to deal with every day don't quite measure up that way, now, do they? Your sweeping and hateful generalization of correctional officers is as unfounded as it is ignorant.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
How times have changed. I know a good family man who was convicted of raping an under-aged girl years and years ago when he was a teen. I don't think he spent much time in jail, and he has been married to the same wife for around 50 years, with no other offenses. He has never been saddled with the 'offender' title, and shouldn't be.
I agree that the definition of "sex offender" needs to be changed.
I am certainly not condoning rape, as in the above case. There is a differance between that offense and a died in the wool offender! Espacially child molesters!
Just like shoes...one size does not fit all !

Although I know some rapists that I wish had been prosecuted,but were not, (in fact 'way back then', they were not even reported!), it really does depend upon the circumstances. I do believe all who commit rape should be prosecuted, but in differant degrees, depending on the circumstances, but not all should be pegged for life as 'molesters'.

BTW, I am a female, and I am speaking from experience! I have long wished that I had at least recieved an appology for what happened to me! I do believe the offender (s) have paid for it, one way or another.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
How times have changed. I know a good family man who was convicted of raping an under-aged girl years and years ago when he was a teen. I don't think he spent much time in jail, and he has been married to the same wife for around 50 years, with no other offenses. He has never been saddled with the 'offender' title, and shouldn't be.
I agree that the definition of "sex offender" needs to be changed.
I am certainly not condoning rape, as in the above case. There is a differance between that offense and a died in the wool offender! Espacially child molesters!
Just like shoes...one size does not fit all !

Although I know some rapists that I wish had been prosecuted,but were not, (in fact 'way back then', they were not even reported!), it really does depend upon the circumstances. I do believe all who commit rape should be prosecuted, but in differant degrees, depending on the circumstances, but not all should be pegged for life as 'molesters'.

BTW, I am a female, and I am speaking from experience! I have long wished that I had at least recieved an appology for what happened to me! I do believe the offender (s) have paid for it, one way or another.
The definition of 'sex offender' and the criteria for registering as such, does need to be examined. There are way to many cases where guys, in particular, have been slammed with this label just because their ex wife/girlfriend whatever, was PO'd at them and wanted to be vindictive. There are many other situations, similar in context, that should not be made to ruin someones life either. Our focus should be on the REAL vermin. Pedophiles especially. Like Phil Girrardo and his wife. If dealt with properly, the only thing we have to worry about registering ,with slugs like the latter, is their death certificates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates