Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
All those things are things I could do without. How do you think we survived before the Industrial Revolution? People slept at night and worked during the day, that's how.

That's like saying we "need" the Internet--well, since it wasn't always available to the general public, what did people do BEFORE it was available? If they needed to back up something, or research something, they didn't rely on a "link". They read actual books.

People did other things in the leisure time too--even if it was only solitaire, or watching TV, or reading. Some people like singing, playing, or listening to music.
You can say all you want how much you do not want and/or need any public service, you use them in some form or another.

You also do have protection from the law whether you like it or not directly and/or indirectly.

However, the system is not perfect. Have you suffered from its imperfections, maybe you have as maybe all of us one way or another. BUT I am sure you would not like a society without some social order established by society itself to ensure survival and live as best as possible.

The police, of course there are corrupt cops just as there are corrupt priests, politicians, and ordinary citizens. People are not perfect and we come in all types and shapes.

Again, you can say you do not use the system but you do regardless of how much you claim you do not.

Example: What do you do with your trash? Burn it all? Bury it all? Dump it in the trash bin/dumpster for the city truck to pick it up?

How about your use of the computer? Do you have your own generators to provide power to it or do you use the city power?

If you use a generator you bought you already used the system that is designed to make sure you do not get killed or hurt in some form or for that matter by the generator if you use one. I doubt you use a generator all the time.

You simply do not realize how much protection and benefits you use and have. You would if all did not exist. Probably you have such a tunnel vision that it does not allow you to realize it. Maybe you are so bitter for some reason. Maybe you have a good reason to be bitter but that does not negate all you have as part of society.

Do you pay taxes? If you do, you already contribute to the system and do reaps benefits out of it, not perfect as I said but you do.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
What I realize, is that if I had none of those tomorrow, I could do just fine.

As far as what I do with my trash--I toss it on the ground wherever I happen to be.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i give up.
You should, instead of insisting that I use things that I don't.

Do I use electricity? Yes, but I don't NEED to--I've been homeless more than once, was I using electricity then?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You should, instead of insisting that I use things that I don't.

Do I use electricity? Yes, but I don't NEED to--I've been homeless more than once, was I using electricity then?
Whether you need it or not is not the point. You use it, bottom line and that is part that we as a society we do to provide services to citizens and you take advantage of it by the simply fact you use it.

When you were homeless, did you ever find a some shelter to be to use the heat? If you did, there you go, you used some public service.
If you are not homeless now, you use services!!

If you slept under a bridge, well, you used something made with tax money.

The point, again, it is not whether you need it or want it, YOU USE PUBLIC SERVICES HOWEVER LIMITED THAT MAY BE. No way around it you are reaping some beneifts from our tax money also.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
What I realize, is that if I had none of those tomorrow, I could do just fine.

As far as what I do with my trash--I toss it on the ground wherever I happen to be.
Again, whether you want them or need them now or tomorrow and do just fine without them, you use them!

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

I slept outside, behind buildings paid for by private enterprise.

If something's there, available for your use, wouldn't YOU use it? Sure I use it, why shouldn't I? That doesn't mean I have to accept any restrictions on my person because of some imaginary "social contract".

Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Can you explain what those restrictions are?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Can you explain what those restrictions are?

Thanks.
Laws. Government telling us what we can and cannot do. No one needs to have power over you, you should be in charge of your own life.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I slept outside, behind buildings paid for by private enterprise.

If something's there, available for your use, wouldn't YOU use it? Sure I use it, why shouldn't I? That doesn't mean I have to accept any restrictions on my person because of some imaginary "social contract".
Pandamonium asked a good question. I will say you have a restriction like not speeding. You may say you speed whenever you want to. OK, I am pretty sure that if you see a cop ahead on the road you slow down. If you do so, you go along with the social contract. If you tell me you still speed when you see the cop I must say that is Bobine Scatology.

AGAIN, regardless whether you accept, do not like, do not care for, or anything, by action you are part of the "social contract". That is the point. Have you heard the expression "action speak louder than words". This is the case, tell all you want how much you do not like or want the benefits of a system that follows an implied social contract, by action you use them as much as you may want to avoid them. The only way you truly may be able to say you do not is by living alone with no contact with anything that has to do with any society. Nothing and live from nature with no tools and food provided in any from from any society.
Say all you want but your actions accept the social contract regardless of how much you do not want them or use them because they are there, you used them so you are part of it.

The bottom line? You DO use something that is part of the social contract system.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 AM

But I don't "need" society either. And I do a lot to avoid other people. For one thing, I work overnights when most people are either out socializing or sleeping. I try to stay home as much as possible. Yes, I do have to get food--but if I was in a relationship--which involves only one other person--I would have HER deal with any people that might have to be engaged. She can drop the rent off, she can go to the store.

I don't want to, I prefer hermitage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates