Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Oh so you are saying she is full of crap.

Yet why would I. It is just a statment of fact about an occurance that is easily dealt with. I close my vents. It's no big deal.

But how would you know if you can't smell. Just sayin'. Like a buddy of mine that was suffering from a cold, after I commented on the smell of styrene wafting through an area, while pegging my Organic Vapor Meter at 5000 ppm, he said in his stopped-up nose resonance, "smells fine to me, I can't smell it at all."

Of course if you live in an industrial hell-hole, which it sounds like. It wouldn't make any difference, and you could consider yourself fortunate that you can't smell anymore.
Firstly, family is off limits. This is between you and I.

Secondly, ANY city, or even village that sees any amount of traffic, is blanketed in exhaust fumes.

Thirdly, you're not a smoker, so please don't bother trying to tell me what level of smell ability I have, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, family is off limits. This is between you and I {ME}.
Hm, I seem to remember you brought her into the conversation. I haven't written anything about your sister, except that she was wrong if it she asserted that I was full of crap.

Quote:
Secondly, ANY city, or even village that sees any amount of traffic, is blanketed in exhaust fumes.
Since I have frequently smelled other's smoke in my car either there is considerably less smog here, or your sense of smell has been diminished. Unless of course, you too wouldn't be the first to fib in the "War on Smokers". This is not up for debate since it was my experience. You would have to un-do my experiences. Besides I am not in this War. As I said, I don't like the city gov't imposing smoking restrictions on private business such as restaurants - smoke 'em if you got 'em. I just won't go there.

Quote:
Thirdly, you're not a smoker, so please don't bother trying to tell me what level of smell ability I have, thanks.
I can just read the scientific reports. And you are the one telling me. You said you couldn't smell it, so my sense must not have been dulled as yours, or you have been lucky not to have been downwind of the smoke plume. I do know about contaminant plumes. Or you are in such a horribly smog-ridden city, like London during the industrial revolution. Or you are fibbing. - Giving you plenty of outs, here.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-14-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Well people, as assinine as this proposal is, WE LET THEM DO IT. How many of us shrugged and said "I don't care if they levy massive taxes on cigarettes bacuase I don't smoke!", and the same thing with alcohol. Once you give government the in, you will NEVER get them out. Because we allowed them to take perfectly legal products and levy massive "sin" taxes on them, we have given them the precedent to do the same with whatever products they deem unhealthy. Now it will be soda and coffee, next McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts, than Oreo cookies and twinkies - with no end in site. And we let them in.

Here is a fantastic quote that explains what I mean:

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."

-H.L. Mencken

We should all throw cartons of cigarettes and 2 liter sodas into Boston harbor as a way to show Mr Obama what we think of this tax idea.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Hm, I seem to remember you brought her into the conversation. I haven't written anything about your sister, except that she was wrong if it she asserted that I was full of crap.
I did indeed "bring her into this", and it was you who attempted to insult her. This is what I am refering to as off limits.

Quote:
Since I have frequently smelled other's smoke in my car either there is considerably less smog here, or your sense of smell has been diminished. Unless of course, you too wouldn't be the first to fib in the "War on Smokers". This is not up for debate since it was my experience. You would have to un-do my experiences. Besides I am not in this War. As I said, I don't like the city gov't imposing smoking restrictions on private business such as restaurants - smoke 'em if you got 'em. I just won't go there.
Smog? Or, perhaps, you are indeed full of crap. Also, I do not "fib", I point out the lies of people prosecuting the War on Smokers.

Quote:
I can just read the scientific reports. And you are the one telling me. You said you couldn't smell it, so my sense must not have been dulled as yours, or you have been lucky not to have been downwind of the smoke plume. I do know about contaminant plumes. Or you are in such a horribly smog-ridden city, like London during the industrial revolution. Or you are fibbing. - Giving you plenty of outs, here.
No need to "give me an out". The idea that tobacco smoke wouldn't be overwhelmed by the exhaust fumes of the car in front of you is simply rediculious.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM

218 posts, read 798,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainerite View Post
I think you are a little slow on the uptake bud, It's cool you have the option of walking or biking, but what about people that live too far away to walk or bike and there is NOT public transportation? I swear some people post just because they can.
Oh and btw, not everyone can carpool either, just acknowledge sometimes, a person is up poop creek without a paddle.
Please see my previous post regarding this. I choose to live close to work so that I don't need a car. I could choose a larger house on more property for less money that is farther away but then I'd need a car. I could choose to work elsewhere but it would require me to move or get a car. I make very specific choices regarding my lifestyle to prevent the need for a car and everyone else is free to make similar choices or not. However, because you choose to live or work in locations that require you to drive doesn't mean you have no choice in the matter only that you made choices that rely on a car.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I did indeed "bring her into this", and it was you who attempted to insult her. This is what I am refering to as off limits.
I made no attempt to insult her. You bring her in, and she insults me, "she said you are full of crap." Like I said, that doesn't further your argument.

Quote:
Smog? Or, perhaps, you are indeed full of crap. Also, I do not "fib", I point out the lies of people prosecuting the War on Smokers.
Or perhaps you are full of crap, and have lost your sense of smell to such a degree where you wouldn't even notice anyone else's smoke wafting into your car.

Remember this little jewel?

Quote:
This is pretty amusing. Here we have you objecting to me trying to tell you what level of smell ability you have, as you put it, yet you think it is perfectly acceptable to tell me what I can or can't smell. You are chiding me for exactly what you are doing. That's pretty hypocritical.

Quote:
No need to "give me an out". The idea that tobacco smoke wouldn't be overwhelmed by the exhaust fumes of the car in front of you is simply rediculious.
Since I have experienced that, the exhaust fumes from adjacent cars must have been no where near as overwhelming as where you drive, so your incredulity is pretty irrelevant. I was giving you an out because either you are lying, or you were lucky enough to never be downwind, or your sense of smell is lacking which is probably a contributing factor, or you are driving around in traffic during the industrial revolution. because I would never want to suggest that you are a liar. You may be exaggerating, however, since you say you are driving in such smog-laden traffic. My experience isn't really debatable. Why don't you get back to topic.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-16-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
I've experienced it. I just close the vents, no big deal. Of course, I am not surrounded by clunkers so cars are not belching out huge plumes of exhaust to mask the cigarettes smoke.

But I do know why you don't buy it. You can't smell it. That is what happens. Smoking causes long-term damage to the sense of smell. If you quit smoking, you may notice some improvement.
Can't close the vents when you're walking. I've since quit, but I'd rather inhale a lungful of cigarette smoke than a lungful of car exhaust.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Can't close the vents when you're walking. I've since quit, but I'd rather inhale a lungful of cigarette smoke than a lungful of car exhaust.
Yeah I have seen former smokers try to inhale any second hand smoke that they get around just to relive the good times. I can't close the vents when I am cycling. I don't like having to ride through either.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
^No, if I can't get first-hand smoke, why bother with second-hand?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^No, if I can't get first-hand smoke, why bother with second-hand?
I am sorry, I thought you wrote that you quit so I did not even consider you taking it up again. I don't know why you are argueing. I am just saying that I know of former smokers (you know, ones that have quit) that second hand smoke, since they quit first-hand smoking, is pleasurable to them. So I understand why you would prefer cigarette smoke, to smog. Is that not what you said? I thought I was agreeing with you. If I had been a former smoker, of course I would rather inhale a lungfull of smoke than a car's exhaust- D'uh.

So, how do you feel about tax on sugary drinks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates