Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times

Advertisements

I'm done with smoking--first-hand OR second-hand--that's what I'm saying.

But the difference is I can CHOOSE to smoke or not smoke. I cannot choose not to deal with car exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

But the difference is I can CHOOSE to smoke or not smoke. I cannot choose not to deal with car exhaust.
M'kay, but I understand why you would prefer smoke over smog. And I can not choose to deal with car exhaust, as well as smoke coming from drivers, while cycling.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,072,385 times
Don't soft drinks makers already benefit from cheap corn syrup supported by public subsidies (and tariff taxation on cane sugar)?

They can't complain when they already benefit from public funds.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,421,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I made no attempt to insult her. You bring her in, and she insults me, "she said you are full of crap." Like I said, that doesn't further your argument.
I said you are full of crap, not she. YOU wern't even mentioned. Nough said.

Quote:
Or perhaps you are full of crap, and have lost your sense of smell to such a degree where you wouldn't even notice anyone else's smoke wafting into your car.

Remember this little jewel?

This is pretty amusing. Here we have you objecting to me trying to tell you what level of smell ability you have, as you put it, yet you think it is perfectly acceptable to tell me what I can or can't smell. You are chiding me for exactly what you are doing. That's pretty hypocritical.
The idea that someone can smell cigarette smoke outside in a city full of car exhaust fumes, industrial fumes from businesses, cooking smells, etc is simply laughable, unless the person is standing right next to you.

Quote:
Since I have experienced that, the exhaust fumes from adjacent cars must have been no where near as overwhelming as where you drive, so your incredulity is pretty irrelevant. I was giving you an out because either you are lying, or you were lucky enough to never be downwind, or your sense of smell is lacking which is probably a contributing factor, or you are driving around in traffic during the industrial revolution. because I would never want to suggest that you are a liar. You may be exaggerating, however, since you say you are driving in such smog-laden traffic. My experience isn't really debatable. Why don't you get back to topic.
And you think MY experience is debatable? Horse****.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
I said you are full of crap, not she. YOU wern't even mentioned. Nough said.
Except for the fact that I quoted what you typed. Unless of course you typed it wrong.

Quote:
"she said you are full of crap."
Feel free to edit that phase to correctly convey what you really meant. Otherwise it still stands, in writing, that your sister said that I was full of crap. Maybe you will think twice before throwing into the discussion a family member as some sort of authority and then wine about how they are off limits. Bullocks! Eventhough no insult was levied against her. You may have made up her all together. Enough said.

Quote:
The idea that someone can smell cigarette smoke outside in a city full of car exhaust fumes, industrial fumes from businesses, cooking smells, etc is simply laughable, unless the person is standing right next to you.
You are laughable, in a sad sort of way. You have got some chip on your shoulder. Evidently, my city, is much cleaner than the industrial cess-pool that you live in, because I can smell the cigarette smoke wafting into my car just fine. Or your sense of If I am upwind, I sould not smell cigarette smoke

And you think MY experience is debatable? Horse****.[/quote]

Actually I believe you, giving you the benefit of the doubt, when you said you couldn't smell it. i never said YOU could smell it. Your experience is not debateble - same goes for mine. I was just putting out possibilities for why you couldn't smell it. THere were a few that I came up with. I guess I could enumerate them again, but te previous times will suffice. On the other hand, you were claiming that I couldn't smell it and was fibbing about it. You even brought your sister into the discussion to say that she said I was full of crap (check the above quote). Can you see the difference?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM

742 posts, read 1,231,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

oh ho! you can avoid cities

Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM

742 posts, read 1,231,378 times
Quote:

Actually I believe you, giving you the benefit of the doubt, when you said you couldn't smell it. i never said YOU could smell it. Your experience is not debateble - same goes for mine. I was just putting out possibilities for why you couldn't smell it. THere were a few that I came up with. I guess I could enumerate them again, but te previous times will suffice. On the other hand, you were claiming that I couldn't smell it and was fibbing about it. You even brought your sister into the discussion to say that she said I was full of crap (check the above quote). Can you see the difference?
oh he can smell it, he just denies it for the sake of this crusade of his.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,421,189 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that I quoted what you typed. Unless of course you typed it wrong.

Feel free to edit that phase to correctly convey what you really meant. Otherwise it still stands, in writing, that your sister said that I was full of crap. Maybe you will think twice before throwing into the discussion a family member as some sort of authority and then wine about how they are off limits. Bullocks! Eventhough no insult was levied against her. You may have made up her all together. Enough said.

You are laughable, in a sad sort of way. You have got some chip on your shoulder. Evidently, my city, is much cleaner than the industrial cess-pool that you live in, because I can smell the cigarette smoke wafting into my car just fine. Or your sense of If I am upwind, I sould not smell cigarette smoke

1. I have no need to do anything else but paraphrase a response given by a family member to my inquiry, a family member chosen because of her sensetivity to cigarette smoke. YOU attack her because you know you are indeed full of crap.

2. And you are still full of crap as well. Unless a car full of cigar smoking salesmen pulls up next to your car with all the windows open, and yours as well, you are simply not going to smell smoke.

Either way. I am done with this pissing contest. I'm right, your wrong, which I'm quite sure you will walk away from the OT topic with as well.

Last edited by AxisMundi; 09-16-2009 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: quote tag cleanup

Old 09-17-2009, 03:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
oh ho! you can avoid cities
no, since I was born in one, and find no reason to leave the place of my birth voluntarily...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,909,729 times
Honestly, I don't think that a tax on (any) unhealthy foods (soda included) would deter someone from purchasing and consuming them, so for anyone to say that the focus/benefit from such a tax would be to promote a healthier lifestyle is a joke. People who change their habits from unhealthy ones to healthy ones RARELY do so because of a price hike, but instead because of education about the risks associated with their particular habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates