Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,812,770 times

Advertisements

As for sugary drinks, it takes a lot of artificial sweetener before you see a connection with cancer. Some people probably do consume that much though, but most people your not taking in enough for their to be a problem I think. I'm all for taxing sugary drinks, I think that's fine. Unless your chugging soda all day your not going to notice people. Don't get me wrong, I'm really mad the government got us in all this debt. It infuriates me to think about it. No wonder people think they can live beyond their means, they're like 'well the country does it so why can't I?' But really we need to be focusing on getting out of it. I mean sure we could just let someone else worry about it but that someone else will be our children or grandchildren. Actually they'll probably have to anyways but let's at least try and it would be good if we were all educated more on spending, I know I'm not. I was reading this article on it last weak and people were saying something about when the debt reached over 2% of the GPD or something people were sure that the effects would be horrendous and now it's over 50% I think it said. It was kind of a wake up call for me but I must admit I was lost about what they were talking about sometimes. Their should be a required class on this in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,637,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I think a better solution is to target the population who needs some 'direction' in food selecting: Food stamp recepients!!!!

A law making food stamps unusable on unhealthy foods would be better. No more Oreo's & Chocolate milk for those folks. They are the ones who put the biggest drain on our soon-to-be free health care system.
Bah!

I get so tired of hearing that crap; not everyone who is on FS is a junk food junkie.

And there is NOTHING wrong with ANY food in moderation. Hell, carrots are bad for you if you eat too many of them.

We should focus more on education of the people on what foods are good as staples, and what foods are good as indulgences; and pound it in till eventually people listen and start eating healthier.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesY View Post
Food stamps can only be used for fresh foods, not frozen
Care to explain why?

Not to mention, nutritionally, in most cases frozen food is actually more nutrient rich and fresher; since the ripening process has been stalled.

In addition, it's easier to prepare a frozen bag of broccoli for dinner, than it is to wash, chop, and boil fresh broccoli.

I don't see frozen veggies as a form of fast food. It's convenient yes, but fast food, no.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,812,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Bah!

I get so tired of hearing that crap; not everyone who is on FS is a junk food junkie.

And there is NOTHING wrong with ANY food in moderation. Hell, carrots are bad for you if you eat too many of them.

We should focus more on education of the people on what foods are good as staples, and what foods are good as indulgences; and pound it in till eventually people listen and start eating healthier.
yea, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt, I don't mind taxing sugary drinks a little more because most people wouldn't notice and I feel like it's not going to be a deal breaker on whether or not you get your weekly/daily soda but I know when my husband was little his dad got laid off and they had to be on food stamps for awhile till he found work. I'm not going to take a cookie away from a kid who is worried that him and his family might have to live on the streets because he over heard his dad got laid off. Heck, give him 20 cookies.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree. And as I also said, something needs to be done about the school lunch programs for poor kids as well.

As far as poor people using the most of our health care system, that actually isn't true. They die sooner than rich people so it tends to even out.

But even so, I as a taxpayer do not want to be subsidizing junk for poor people.
Oh give me a break; the same people that complain that "poor people buy junk food with my tax money" (ie food stamps), are the same ones that would complain that poor people were spending their tax money on organic foods and prime rib, and whole grains and other more pricey foods.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. I have no need to do anything else but paraphrase a response given by a family member to my inquiry, a family member chosen because of her sensetivity to cigarette smoke. YOU attack her because you know you are indeed full of crap.
Well who knew? What you need to do is write what you mean. Otherwise, as it is written now, it would seem that your sister is saying I am full of crap. If that is the case, then this is more a criticism on your writing skills. not your sister, I am sure she is a lovely person, if she even exists at all. Capiche? Even paraphrasing what your sister said, really doesn't change what she meant, right. So any criticism of her opinion, still stands. You brought her into this, making her fair game in any criticism, certainly on things she knows nothing about, especially my character, so your demand that family memebers are "off-linits" rings hallow. You are alone in your delusion because you have some chip on your shoulder.

Quote:
2. And you are still full of crap as well. Unless a car full of cigar smoking salesmen pulls up next to your car with all the windows open, and yours as well, you are simply not going to smell smoke.
There you go again. Try as you will to continue to tell me what I can and can't smell - a bit hypocritical, I must say, considering your little jewel above. Yet it only takes one cigarette for me to smell it wafting from another's car. Remember, I believe you can't smell it, as you say, and I can certainly understand why.

Quote:
Either way. I am done with this pissing contest. I'm right, your wrong, which I'm quite sure you will walk away from the OT topic with as well.
That is a good idea because everyone has been watching you p[ss all over yourself. And you probably couldn't smell that either. BTW, you ought to quit smoking, those cigarettes will kill you. They aren't called coffin nails for nothing. You're young and it's early, stopping now may restore some of your senses. Just sayin'. Lot's of love to you and your sister. Take care.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-17-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
and what if thats not enough? hmm? you act like once u get a clearly defined distance smoke no longer reaches u.
Like smog and pollution, and exhaust fumes DON'T reach you or do more harm?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM

25,979 posts, read 18,974,548 times
Quote:
Bah!
Please stop trying to be reasonable. No one wants reason. This is an emotional issue. We shouldn't have people killing themselves with an occasional Sprite or Pepsi. It's evil and must be stamped out. Actually, it's evil mostly because it doesn't affect me. Otherwise it would be okay.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
yea, you have to give people the benefit of the doubt, I don't mind taxing sugary drinks a little more because most people wouldn't notice and I feel like it's not going to be a deal breaker on whether or not you get your weekly/daily soda ....
Not directed at you mb64282 just a general comment, wondering why should the government impose a tax like that at all. Once that nose of the camel gets under the wall of the tent, there is no stopping it. Gov't is going to want more of a cut in everything you do. I don't mind taxing a little more, reminds me of the familiar illustrataion of boiling a lobster slowly. It is also government telling you, that gov't must take care of you becasue you are too dumb to know what is good for you. Remember Obama telling these school kids that they must study hard and have personal responsibility, yet out of the other side of his face, and to the rest of us, we are just too dumb to take responsibility for ourselve and government needs to step in to take care of us, no personal responsibility - hence, the Nanny State.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Like smog and pollution, and exhaust fumes DON'T reach you or do more harm?
A little catch phase I often hear in the environmental industry, "dilution is the solution to pollution."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates