Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
More inane generalizations, I see...............
um, there are lots of generalizations being made on either side. some of them are correct, some of them are meant to skew.

i also don't like the inane american focus that blacks are the only people who get discriminated against or they don't discriminate.

thanks to western media and american inanity. almost all people get discriminated against and have stereotypes made of them, though some more than others. most are quite skewed, it's ridiculous.

have you ever heard the stereotype of the submissive asian woman? have you heard the same stereotype of middle eastern women who can't even show thier face? uh, the answer is no.

how about asians being the focus of eating "weird" things etc but they seem to think no one else or culture in the world could eat what they eat, they are just all ignored. smart? or skewed?

americans focus more on making negative stereotypes of asians than any other country or culture i've known, particularly orientals (i know it's an outdated term but i'm making a point). makes ya kinda wonder, now doesn't it?

it might be something as stupid or base as because 'them asians have slanty eyes' and so are the focus of all exotic scrutiny. can americans be biased or have thier own quirks? the answer is yes.

Last edited by rory00; 10-19-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
What planet are you living on?
I guess the truth hurts.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Of course, you are the expert on this point; though I don't really care if the likes of you find me attractive or not.

"Gripes?"

Nah..........I just call folks racist when they actually are.

I'm assuming you lay this rant on folks of all colours, right?
The problem with you and many other blacks is, when ever someone points out the truth, you immediately reach up your sleeve and pull out the race card. If you stop crying racism at every turn then things might actually turn around for you.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I don't think it is an issue about whether enough women are fawning over him. He already stated that, on the surface, he is received favorably by women from both here and abroad. I think the OP's point centers on the notion that non-black American women in particular appear to be less romantically-inclined to him than their counterparts overseas. Assuming he's the same guy both here and abroad, it doesn't strike me as all too unreasonable to entertain the possibility that American women just might be a bit more reserved due to a distinct, culturally-conditioned racial consciousness.
Or it could be that American women can actually understand fully what he's saying, because they speak English.

Either way, everything about his assumptions and post smack of mind-boggling arrogance. A guy who lives his life thinking primarily about whether or not women think he's attractive is obsessively narcissistic. Maybe that in itself has a lot of women wanting to puke when they see him a second time.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
The problem with you and many other blacks is, when ever someone points out the truth, you immediately reach up your sleeve and pull out the race card. If you stop crying racism at every turn then things might actually turn around for you.
Yes, because you are a shining example to all the ignant, seshually promiscuous blacks everywhere on how to be. Cause we all know all blacks pull out this golden race card 'cause all blacks are whiners. Why can't blacks behave like everyone else?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

Look. I've read your posts. You have an agenda. Everytime there is a topic involving black people, especially one where people of African descent are attacked and blamed for the ills of American society, you pile on enthusiastically. The only race card I've seen is the one you continue to deploy every time black people are attacked. The only truth concerning you is the truth of your bias and racism.

I don't need things to turn around for me. I need racism to be eradicated from this earth. Until that happens, I will continue to confront it whenever it manifests itself.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
I'm not black, but I will relate what a friend of mine, who is black, has shared with me. (This is about 10 years ago, and he has since then gotten married and moved to Texas so we only keep in touch by e-mail and phone a few times a year).

Anyway, back when he lived here and we hung out a lot, we would always go out with our other friends and were always trying to meet women. My friend, who was not great-looking but still good-looking, often garnered more interest than most of the rest of us who were all white or latino. One time he and I got on that subject and I asked him, "How do you do it?"

He confided in me that being black was both a blessing and a curse in regards to dating non-black women. He said that over the years he has noticed that due to certain stereotypes - ahem - many non-black women were interested in black men, but often it was based on this superficiality. He said the other element he noticed was that it was a way for a lot of these women to broach a "taboo" that they had been raised with. Unfortunately for him, he was open and honest with women and always dated women in whom he had a sincere interest in forming a longer-term relationship with and possibly marrying. But he got women who were interested in him for these superficial reasons and when time came to get serious, they disappeared so quickly it made his head spin.

Another stereotype he said many of these women had was that he, as a black man, was a "playa" who would have no problem with one-night stands or short romantic trysts. They were often shocked when he revealed to them any intention for something "more" than just a superficial, sexual relationship. When he was much younger and only wanted to have trysts, this worked to his advantage, but as he got older, this actually made him feel much worse. He said it might sound like a dream come true that women only be interested in you for sex with no strings attached, but he said that when it comes time to want to marry, this is the biggest curse you could have.

He also said that most of these non-black women who date black men as he experienced, might seem to be "open" and "non-racist", but in his opinion they were as racist or more racist than others. Although they used their prejudice for what is seen as a "positive" stereotype on the surface, it was actually a negative, because they saw black men as "lovers" who could never be real marriage partners, as sex objects and not as human beings.

He started to date black women mostly and he met his wife this way. I used to be so jealous of him, but I realize now that his success with women wasn't because of something slick he was saying or doing (which I originally thought) but rather because he was black, and that what was "success" in terms of trysts was, unfortunately, a failure in terms of relationships.

He told me he didn't share this with many people because many would not believe him or would say that he is a "wuss" for not just being a "playa" and enjoying that, and wanting something more.

I am well aware, and so is my friend, that there are indeed many peope who have "bi-racial" relationships which are real and valid and not superficial; but my friend was disappointed that this turned out, in his life's experience, to be the exception to the rule, and the rule was that black men are discriminated against in a very racist way when it comes to relationships with non-black women.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Look. I've read your posts. You have an agenda. Everytime there is a topic involving black people, especially one where people of African descent are attacked and blamed for the ills of American society, you pile on enthusiastically. The only race card I've seen is the one you continue to deploy every time black people are attacked. The only truth concerning you is the truth of your bias and racism.

I don't need things to turn around for me. I need racism to be eradicated from this earth. Until that happens, I will continue to confront it whenever it manifests itself.
I know you were addressing Aveojohn with this response but do you honestly believe that the OP's challenges are the result of racism and not due to other circumstances, such as his apparent narcissum or overly direct manner of presenting himself? I don't know this guy but these are the vibes I'm getting from his OP.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
I am well aware, and so is my friend, that there are indeed many peope who have "bi-racial" relationships which are real and valid and not superficial; but my friend was disappointed that this turned out, in his life's experience, to be the exception to the rule, and the rule was that black men are discriminated against in a very racist way when it comes to relationships with non-black women.

you make it sound like it's exceptional and it isn't. that's typical racism and objectification that any and all races experience. how about the black guy that wants to 'hit it' with an asian chick or try it as an "experience" or the black girl who wants to experience a sexual tryst with a white guy etc. people go for flings and enter relationships they never have any serious intent in for a variety of reasons.

these things happen all the time.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Problems??? What problems?? Things are actually going pretty well for me. I have a lovely family, live in a lovely home, have a lovely second home on the opposite coast. I'm a SAHM and my Black husband does a great job taking care of his Black wife and family.

There goes your theory about Black men as suitable mates.

I call bigotry out when I see it. I took a quick glance at your posting history. I don't need to take lessons from the likes of you.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.