Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When Chuck Norris does pushups....he's actually pushing the World DOWN instead of him UP.
I heard he had a paper route as a young lad...

There were no survivors.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM

261 posts, read 704,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is not rational to think that I'm not one of those people that can do so. I've had to fight to survive since I was very young. Experience is my teacher.
You may be the best hand-to-hand combat artist the world has ever seen, with loads of real-world experience.

Still won't save you when you've got someone out of your immediate range with a gun drawn on you.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
You may be the best hand-to-hand combat artist the world has ever seen, with loads of real-world experience.

Still won't save you when you've got someone out of your immediate range with a gun drawn on you.
And neither would having my own gun. But the fact that they didn't have a gun available to them would do a lot more for me, wouldn't it?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
And neither would having my own gun. But the fact that they didn't have a gun available to them would do a lot more for me, wouldn't it?
No it wouldn't. A gun will only do you good if you have time to prepare, and get first draw. That point is not in contention; anyone who does own a gun realizes this.

Since you're big on the "availability" argument, do you have a logical plan to keep firearms from being available?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM

If we wanted "logical", people would turn them in of their own volition. But they aren't "logical".

Since I am, I don't own one TO turn in.

Although, I would suppose that if companies did not manufacture them, and people did not SELL them, it would reduce the number of guns out there.

I do not doubt that Smith and Wesson, Colt, and Ruger are still producing weapons today...even though they are likely enough guns out there today for EVERY man, woman, and child in America to have one. Perhaps even 2 or 3.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
If he's close enough to swing it, you're close enough to step towards him, whip the arm on that side up and over the bat, and take it away. A bat doesn't make you invincible either...
The credibility, or lack thereof, of your "expliots" ONLY serves to illustrate why you, personally, opt not to excersise your Constitutional Right to own a firearm.

This ancedotal evidence in no way, shape, or form substantiates any or develops ANY reasoning to remove this basic Constitutional Right from everyone.

ATM, I still have a Right to own my Civil War era repros, while YOU still enjoy the Right NOT to own any firearms.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Have I said that I've done this? No. I merely explained how it could be done.

With or without a weapon, you're defending against the arm and wrist. Control the arm--which controlling the wrist helps you do--and you eliminate the threat from the arm.

If you are swinging your first at me--and this I have done--I can grab your wrist as I duck beneath your shoulder and lock your arm behind your back.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
If we wanted "logical", people would turn them in of their own volition. But they aren't "logical".

Since I am, I don't own one TO turn in.

Although, I would suppose that if companies did not manufacture them, and people did not SELL them, it would reduce the number of guns out there.

I do not doubt that Smith and Wesson, Colt, and Ruger are still producing weapons today...even though they are likely enough guns out there today for EVERY man, woman, and child in America to have one. Perhaps even 2 or 3.
You're skirting the question, however let me choose a better word: Do you have a realistic plan to extinguish the availability of firearms?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:55 PM

No. You'd have to ask people to be sensible and intelligent--and that will never happen.

I mean, there ARE methods, but that would require more government intervention, and I'm already not a fan of that.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
It is not rational to think that I'm not one of those people that can do so. I've had to fight to survive since I was very young. Experience is my teacher.
Not buyin' it. You have been far to ...enthusiastic, in your assertions of your capability, and in your descriptions of 'experience' that has made you the master of combative skills you claim to be. My father was a veteran of Korea and Viet Nam, I spent a lot of time with soldiers growing up, have many friends who are combat veterans, of both military and LE engagements. One trait they all share in common, is , that they do not speak in great detail of their experiences, they do not expound on their combat skills in casual conversation,and to a man of them, they do not feel they need go on and on trying to convince anyone of what they are capable of. These are truly dangerous men. Ones I am proud to call friends, and very glad I can do so, for I would not want them as enemies. One thing I have learned from these type of men, is that I am also very glad that I do not have the experiences under my belt that they do. I have had to defend myself before, but NOTHING I have had to do comes remotely close. And, my experieces along these lines bothers me some now and again. I shudder to think of the burdens these guys have. Thus , you will have to forgive me if I cast a jaundiced eye on the 'experience' you keep saying qualifies you to make the assertions you put forth in your arguments about self defense. Something in my mind just keeps sending up a BS flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates