Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Well, TK, our society would obviously not have reached the technological point it has today without the use of tools, would it have? If we were cavemen, we'd all be the ones using spears and slings to kill our prey, then blades to cut up the meat and take it home...you'd be the one sitting at the top of the hill waiting for the woolly mammoth to walk by so you could roll the boulder down on him, then tear the meat away with your bare hands

Some things can be accomplished without the use of tools. Many things cannot. <==PERIOD
Question, do we assume that's a "good thing"? Or was it much better before the advent of technology?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:40 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sure--until you're the one shot.
Again, ancedotal examples are not satisfactory in attempting to remove a 200 year old plus Right.

Quote:
That was English--perhaps you should work on English comprehension.
I knew they changed the math on me when I was in grade school didn't realize they had changed the English as well.

Let's try again, clarify your statement.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 PM

It means that if you're intelligent enough, you can figure out ways to accomplish the necessities of life without using any tools. You use your brain instead of an object.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Again, ancedotal examples are not satisfactory in attempting to remove a 200 year old plus Right.

I guess your rights end when you're dead.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
What about people who shoot their spouses? No gun in the home, no spouses shooting each other.

Just one story:
snopes.com: The Bennett Bridge Murder

of many:
wife shoots husband, bridge - Yahoo! Search Results
Another fact that you conveniently keep ignoring, is that you are advocating for only the good guys to be disarmed. yeea yea, in your hypothetical Utopia, all firearms have been destroyed, and we have all gone to live in wikiups. Since that is about as likely to happen as peace in the Middle East and faster than light travel, lets speak of reality, shall we. No amount of restriction on private ownership of firearms is going to stop criminals from obtaining , and using them, for criminal purposes. There is no ridding the world of firearms, or criminals, so, the good guys are armed as well. Please, no pipe dreams and what ifs, get real. The world is what it is, and we all have to live in it. Continuing to use hypotheticals, and quite irrational and unrealistic ones at that, does nothing to change facts. People who have armed themselves, have made the choice to take the possibility of violent confrontation seriously, and intend to survive such an encounter.Being armed does not raise the odds of being killed with their own weapon, beyond the chance that they may be killed by a criminals own weapon. It does raise the odds of survival in an encounter with an armed criminal though.Fighting crime by shooting back is a time honored, and proven, method. If something works, a logical mind would lead one to use the method. Humans are dependent on technology. Several million years of using technology, and advancing said technology, is hard to argue with. It is a free country, however. At least for the moment. So, if a person desires to discard clothing, attempt (key word there) to not use tools and technology in their lives, and let their nails grow to be used for defensive weapons there is no law saying one can't. Good luck with that.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM

There are no "good guys". Man is a wolf to his fellow man.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:

To "some" of his fellow man. Most people by far are good.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,101 times
Quote:
It means that if you're intelligent enough, you can figure out ways to accomplish the necessities of life without using any tools. You use your brain instead of an object.
An intelligent person uses the right tool for the right job.

Quote:
I guess your rights end when you're dead.
Yup. And while alive, Rights need to be protected or they will be lost. Look at what the PATRIOT Act did in eroding Rights, as well as domestic spying.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what does that make you? You are human, correct? Then you are a "wolf'? This makes absolutely no sense at all. To blithely state that all humans are hardwired, in some way, to be predatory to all of ones fellows, seems a bit extreme. There are certainly predatory humans, who look upon other humans as prey, but if this were the case, across the board, then we would have no sense of community at all. We would have no desire to protect the weak, defend the defensless etc. "No good guys" aye? From the perspective you have offered to substantiate your views, this statement would lead us to believe that you must be carrying around a heavy burden of self loathing, being as you have had the incredible bad luck to be born human,and are thus unable to change your predatory nature and behavior, though some divine spark keeps telling you that what you are is just wrong.....LMAO, your very humanity must feel like a prison to you. I have no such complicated feelings precluding me from taking measures to defend my family and myself. I don't see slavering predators behind every corner, but I do know that they exist, and have taken measures to survive an encounter with them. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go and clean my white hat.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
To "some" of his fellow man. Most people by far are good.
Not according to Thomas Hobbes. Man is inherently evil. Otherwise, if we all minded our own business, we wouldn't need laws, would we? Because if man was "good", if it was his nature to be "good", he would apply common sense and not bring harm to or exploit others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates