Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Why would I read a outdated book, when I can read a per review article on the internet on this subject?

I still find it interesting that you would compare the way we live in modern society to feral children. Which most would have died. But I suppose you would just call them "the weak ones".

It is obvious that you do not wish to defend you position that we should not use tools, let thugs kill and steal from anyone they want, not create medical, vaccines, and any technology.
Instead you wish to try keep a grip on a vague and meaningless point to this discussion. It's a great way to avoid thinking about what you have said.
Anyone can write anything they like on the Internet. It doesn't have to be true or supported by research. Books are supported by research.

As for the thugs--simply learn to defend yourself. When your very survival is at stake, you'll learn how to fight.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Anyone can write anything they like on the Internet. It doesn't have to be true or supported by research. Books are supported by research.

As for the thugs--simply learn to defend yourself. When your very survival is at stake, you'll learn how to fight.
What books? What research? Feral children as a talking point in discussing firearms as a defensive tool? Your posts are starting to look like 'profound revelations' induced by THC..When incidents of violent criminal attack, where people have fought back, are examined, and broken down into those who used a firearm and those who used bare hands, you will see that injuries and deaths were far greater amongst those who were NOT armed, whereas those who were either killed, seriously injured, or drove off their attackers. It's just a matter of common sense.I would be very interested to see the results of a 125 pound guy attempting a bare handed defense against a 190 pound hardened criminal, armed with a knife or club. Having said criminal armed with a gun in this situation is far to predictable, and not nearly as entertaining. Note that I said a HARDENED criminal. Not some punk with a record of petty beefs, but a guy who has killed and has no problem killing again. My personal preference against such an adversary would be my S&W 25, loaded with 250 gr JHP. My odds of survival are a sight better than the guy relying on fancy joint locks, that he has about a snowballs chance in hell of making work on this opponent anyway.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:

Guess you don't understand what a pre review paper is

You couldn't defend yourself against a man who is twice your weight and is well trained.
You can claim you scrawny *** can, but in reality you would die.

As for me, I would rather be in a room full of law abiding armed citizens and a made man with a gun, then a room full of unarmed law abiding armed citizens and a mad man with a gun.
Let me guess, you will zip across the room and disarm him

I don't need a delusional mad man telling me I can fight off multiply attackers with knives. Logic tells me that I would die, and they will rape my girlfriend before killing her too.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What books? What research? Feral children as a talking point in discussing firearms as a defensive tool? Your posts are starting to look like 'profound revelations' induced by THC..When incidents of violent criminal attack, where people have fought back, are examined, and broken down into those who used a firearm and those who used bare hands, you will see that injuries and deaths were far greater amongst those who were NOT armed, whereas those who were either killed, seriously injured, or drove off their attackers. It's just a matter of common sense.I would be very interested to see the results of a 125 pound guy attempting a bare handed defense against a 190 pound hardened criminal, armed with a knife or club. Having said criminal armed with a gun in this situation is far to predictable, and not nearly as entertaining. Note that I said a HARDENED criminal. Not some punk with a record of petty beefs, but a guy who has killed and has no problem killing again. My personal preference against such an adversary would be my S&W 25, loaded with 250 gr JHP. My odds of survival are a sight better than the guy relying on fancy joint locks, that he has about a snowballs chance in hell of making work on this opponent anyway.
If you can't defend yourself without relying on a crutch, you don't deserve to live anyhow.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Guess you don't understand what a pre review paper is

You couldn't defend yourself against a man who is twice your weight and is well trained.
You can claim you scrawny *** can, but in reality you would die.

As for me, I would rather be in a room full of law abiding armed citizens and a made man with a gun, then a room full of unarmed law abiding armed citizens and a mad man with a gun.
Let me guess, you will zip across the room and disarm him

I don't need a delusional mad man telling me I can fight off multiply attackers with knives. Logic tells me that I would die, and they will rape my girlfriend before killing her too.
Lifting 287 pounds is already more than twice my weight, but I've had to do it. No one at my job has time to "help" other people. If you can't do it--by yourself--we don't need you.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Lifting 287 pounds is already more than twice my weight, but I've had to do it. No one at my job has time to "help" other people. If you can't do it--by yourself--we don't need you.
This is relevant to what I said how?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
This is relevant to what I said how?
However scrawny you might THINK I am, I have plenty of strength. Yet fighting is not about how strong you are, because you can defeat your opponents with a minimum of effort. It's more about will.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
If you can't defend yourself without relying on a crutch, you don't deserve to live anyhow.
Yes, people being stab, shot, killed all deserved it because they couldn't defend themselves
Just so you know, that was sarcasm.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM

And I thought you'd come to your senses. But you know, if those weapons hadn't been available, if the technology hadn't advanced to permit them..then they wouldn't exist, now would they?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
However scrawny you might THINK I am, I have plenty of strength. Yet fighting is not about how strong you are, because you can defeat your opponents with a minimum of effort. It's more about will.
No, its about weight and speed I'm heavy and very fast. If I had a baseball bat, there is pretty much nothing you could do.
If it was hand to hand, there is a very very little chance of over coming my reach speed and weight advantage.

But again, what does this have to do with what I posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates