Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
More than half of Walmart employees are on Medicaid, perhaps forcing SLAVEMART Employers to pay their employees would lower that statistic
that...or they could just get new jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic109 View Post
The attitude towards the poor, particularly the working poor in the United States is nothing short of a disgrace. The elitism, snobbery and the nastiness expressed even here in this forum is shocking.

So what if some people work at Walmart stacking shelves, or at Burger King? Some people are not cut out for college and are not career minded, but they still have a right to be able to afford to LIVE. Anyone who WORKS a 40+ hour week should be able to live without having to struggle, or resort to welfare. Sadly, the snobbery and elitism in this country has demonized these hard working people and has practically turned them into criminals, just for making so-called "bad choices".

Many of the posts here disgust me and they make me ashamed to be a part of this country. To those who demonize, do you routinely enjoy flipping off and cussing at the guy/girl who serves you coffee in the morning, or the cleaners that clean your offices? Of course not! You're cowards and you wouldn't dare say that to someone's face, would you?

Not everyone is BORN into a wealthy or middle class family, or with the natural attributes needed to succeed in 21st century America. If you are one of the lucky ones, just be thankful for that and stop passing cruel judgments on others who weren't so fortunate!
While I would NEVER look down on anyone who puts in a hard days work whether they are on floors of wall street or mopping up the very same floors afterhours, I do believe that this country is headed in the wrong direction when we begin to create the illusion that all hard work (regardless of what it is) should be considered equal. This idea that mediocrity should be awarded the privelges and rewards of the talented and innovative is exactly why this country is tappering off as a 1st world nation.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Quite possibly, the fact that the rich pay such a high % of the taxes might be. They are the ones who create jobs for the poor and the middle class via business ownership. The more taxes they pay, the fewer jobs they create.

But the fundamental reason why we have 9.7% unemployment is because banks went crazy with the lending and people were waaaay too keen on taking the bait. That had to end at some point. And it did. With a loud thud and double digit unemployment.
Ah yes, but the undercurrent of that problem is that people were living beyond their means in the first place. Simply put, if you can't afford a house, then don't buy a house. Nuff said'

Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No argument there.

Of course it is. Just not all the time. As I've already said, there are all kinds of examples, circumstances, etc etc etc. There are no absolutes here and - for the last time - I did not say hard work was the be-all/end-all to success. OK?

Sorry but that's pretty ridiculous. Good luck finding someone who believes "corporations can do no wrong." Tell you what, poll the streets and let me know what the % of people who buy that is. I promise you it'll be single digits. Easily.

Really? All other countries?

You need to get out more.

Yeah "parroting" personal responsibility sure is nosense. Ironic you should use that term, as you frankly sound like a kid who is parroting what he heard an older relative or perhaps a friend say.

Not everyone has to. But many can, if they truly want it bad enough.
1) There are countries with many more poor people than the US (like India). In many places the poor are treated like garbage. But the US is the only place where poverty is considered a sin. You aren't simply poor, but morally corrupt!
2) This country is about the "self". If I can feel superior to these poor guys by bashing them, why not? It makes me feel good about myself and that's what counts.
3) The OP speaks about Christian values. I am not an expert in theology, but I think that Christian values and capitalist America don't sit well together...
Its no coincidence that the arguments today are about gay rights and abortions, both not even mentioned in the Bible. The true spirit of Christianity is discussed very little.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:35 PM

491 posts, read 748,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
While I would NEVER look down on anyone who puts in a hard days work whether they are on floors of wall street or mopping up the very same floors afterhours, I do believe that this country is headed in the wrong direction when we begin to create the illusion that all hard work (regardless of what it is) should be considered equal. This idea that mediocrity should be awarded the privelges and rewards of the talented and innovative is exactly why this country is tappering off as a 1st world nation.
No one is saying that a floor mopper should make the same as a wall street exectutive they are just saying they should make enough to make a decent living. A high paying job is not just achieved by hard work but also by oppurtunity and luck.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
No one is saying that a floor mopper should make the same as a wall street exectutive they are just saying they should make enough to make a decent living. A high paying job is not just achieved by hard work but also by oppurtunity and luck.
I see. But defining "enough" seems to be where the debate is. Does the guy who puts in 40+ hours a week emptying cans and vaccuming floors deserve the $50 million Manhattan Loft? Does he deserve luxury car and the best medical care? Well sure...if he can afford it.

Seems to me that the problem isn't necessarily about the wealthy oppressing the poor, just more so about everyone living within their means and being satisfied with what they are actually able to attain.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I see. But defining "enough" seems to be where the debate is. Does the guy who puts in 40+ hours a week emptying cans and vaccuming floors deserve the $50 million Manhattan Loft? Does he deserve luxury car and the best medical care?
Does a guy like Madoff deserve the $50M loft? (BTW, how the loft became $50M in first place, if the price was not driven up by speculators?). A large portion of this wealth was produced by speculation. These folks produce nothing, but manipulate money (usually not their money).
Enough is relative to the average in the society you are part of. For example "enough" in America is different from "enough" in Somalia.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Does a guy like Madoff deserve the $50M loft? (BTW, how the loft became $50M in first place, if the price was not driven up by speculators?). A large portion of this wealth was produced by speculation. These folks produce nothing, but manipulate money (usually not their money).
Enough is relative to the average in the society you are part of. For example "enough" in America is different from "enough" in Somalia.
exactly. i think some of these people here need to watch that show dirty jobs and how crucial most of thier jobs are and how hard it is, yet they are usually not paid that well either. i think people need to be careful about thier assumed judgements and be glad their are people who are willing to do that and not make that much of a fuss about it.

something as simple as farming and farmers is a perfect example. they are usually paid so little, it's hard work and what they do is one of the most crucial and realistically important jobs.

people tend to assume that it's all perfect as far as the economic system. if they want an overhaul on what is actually fair or not, they may need to watch out and realize they may end up getting squeezed where they thought they were okay. people tend to have a sense of entitlement when things work out for them and easily point fingers not even honestly realizing that the system is isn't exactly fair no matter what.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Perhaps Madoff doesn't, but that still isn't a convincing argument to suggest that the guy mopping up at night has as much right to the amenities that Steve Jobbs or Bill Gates may have. If the janitor wants better, then he better work for it. Learn new skills and get a new job.

Discussing housing prices in this fashion is a moot point anyhow,--because the bottomline is that those particular jobs do not hold equal value nor will they be compensated for such. Therefore speculaor or no speculator, the lady who serves lunches in your kids cafeteria isn't getting the loft unless she does something drasticially innovative to warrant the higher pay check.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Madoff is a criminal, he deserves it as much as a bank robber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates