Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not so sure. I think we could take a cue from the Swiss...

Why no one invades Switzerland
So big deal. You can find a gun nut blog that steers you to a slanted self-serving article, and you know how to cut and paste it. Good for you.

By the way, see if you can find a single link to a single person or site who advocates a gun-free America. Find me one person who says he wants all guns taken away from all private citizens. If you can't show me anyone who wants a gun-free America, why are you raising the question? Who are you opposed to?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:33 AM

44 posts, read 54,788 times
Oh sure, that will make the U.S. safer. Might as well ban knives too while you're at it.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,808,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So big deal. You can find a gun nut blog that steers you to a slanted self-serving article, and you know how to cut and paste it. Good for you.

By the way, see if you can find a single link to a single person or site who advocates a gun-free America. Find me one person who says he wants all guns taken away from all private citizens. If you can't show me anyone who wants a gun-free America, why are you raising the question? Who are you opposed to?
Jtur88,

When I saw the subject video it reminded me of the thread on this sub-forum from which I derived the title hereto.

I know you remember since you regularly contributed there.

The video and the policies of the government of Switzerland were meant to be the focal point (I actually didn't read any self-serving, slanted article).

Since you have completely ignored this and moved directly to personal attack (which I find very telling), let me corner you with this question: Would compulsory military training / reserve status along with compulsory gun ownership negatively impact these United States in any way?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Jtur88,

When I saw the subject video it reminded me of the thread on this sub-forum from which I derived the title hereto.

I know you remember since you regularly contributed there.

The video and the policies of the government of Switzerland were meant to be the focal point (I actually didn't read any self-serving, slanted article).

Since you have completely ignored this and moved directly to personal attack (which I find very telling), let me corner you with this question: Would compulsory military training / reserve status along with compulsory gun ownership negatively impact these United States in any way?
Yes, It would turn everyone into trained killers, whether they wanted to be or not. In short, it would force everyone to be just like you, whether they wanted to be or not. It would force everyone to agree with your opinion.

Did your video explain any of the negatives about everyone having a gun? Or was it slanted? Do you think the reason Hitler never invaded Switzerland was because he was afraid of the Swiss defeating the entire German army and all their allies and shooting down the entire Luftwaffe with Switzerland's anti-aircraft capability?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

890 posts, read 3,704,829 times
*sigh*

And the anti-gun, left wing nut job brigade is here. Shame...there was some actual intelligent thought and conversation going on.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
*sigh*

And the anti-gun, left wing nut job brigade is here. Shame...there was some actual intelligent thought and conversation going on.
Where was the intelligent thought and conversation about the OP's whimsical opposition to an idea that is not embraced by anybody? Unless you'd like to volunteer to show us the links to sites advocating the forced confiscation of all guns from all private citizens, so we will know that there are such people to argue with. As far as I can recall, nobody has ever even advocated that in any of these forums.

Since there is nobody at all calling for the confiscation of all guns from all private citizens (to create the elusive gunfree USA), exactly who comprises this phantom anti-gun left wing nut job brigade? And why do you think it is so scintillatingly clever of you to use such terms to describe everyone who is not in lock-step with your opinions?

And even if there would be a law (which nobody wants) banning all guns in the USA, that would only make the USA as gunfree as it is now drugfree. So what's the point? The police would just waste all their time and funding trying to enforce an unenforceable gun law, instead of fighting crime.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-01-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, It would turn everyone into trained killers, whether they wanted to be or not. In short, it would force everyone to be just like you, whether they wanted to be or not. It would force everyone to agree with your opinion.

Did your video explain any of the negatives about everyone having a gun? Or was it slanted? Do you think the reason Hitler never invaded Switzerland was because he was afraid of the Swiss defeating the entire German army and all their allies and shooting down the entire Luftwaffe with Switzerland's anti-aircraft capability?
First and foremost, I find it extremely difficult to believe that compulsory service and compulsory gun ownership would force someone like you to be just like me and agree with my opinion whether you wanted to or not.

No. The video does not discuss any negatives about everyone having a gun and focuses on the opinions of one Swiss man. Was its perspective slanted? No more than yours or mine as a pair of individual Americans.

While there is mention of this man's experience watching a holocaust survivor's horror in a holocaust museum, I don't recall any assertion whatsoever that the Nazis left the Swiss alone because of their individual armament (which would be ridiculous). What strikes me is that the Swiss government is not afraid of its people and there must be a great deal of mutual trust between citizenry and government. That doesn't exist here, as is clearly evidenced by some of your own rhetoric.

What do you believe would be so much worse if every home in the United States had a gun for every able-bodied adult and the training to use it and be safe with it?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
First and foremost, I find it extremely difficult to believe that compulsory service and compulsory gun ownership would force someone like you to be just like me and agree with my opinion whether you wanted to or not.
You're talking about compulsory indoctrination of every American in something you yourself personally believe in.

Quote:
No. The video does not discuss any negatives about everyone having a gun and focuses on the opinions of one Swiss man. Was its perspective slanted? No more than yours or mine as a pair of individual Americans.
There was also a voice-over by a woman who expressed the same view. There was a title over the screen that said "Why Switzerland has the lowest crime rate", which was not addressed. The title of the page, "Why nobody invades Switzerland" was not addressed. The producers wanted us to believe that those guns achieve those stated goals, which remained unexplained.

Quote:
While there is mention of this man's experience watching a holocaust survivor's horror in a holocaust museum, I don't recall any assertion whatsoever that the Nazis left the Swiss alone because of their individual armament (which would be ridiculous).
Then why the title of the piece, used as your peg to hang the OP on? I, too, have visited holocaust museums. To be sure, they did not inspire me to prepare and equip myself to kill humans.

Quote:
What strikes me is that the Swiss government is not afraid of its people and there must be a great deal of mutual trust between citizenry and government. That doesn't exist here, as is clearly evidenced by some of your own rhetoric.
Are you saying my rhetoric is the reason why there is distrust in America, or that I have merely brought it to your attention?

Quote:
What do you believe would be so much worse if every home in the United States had a gun for every able-bodied adult and the training to use it and be safe with it?
I already said that. We would be a nation of trained killers.

I am a member of the NRA, and I own firearms. But I refuse to give indoctrinators a shot at teaching me to feel OK about using them to kill human beings.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I already said that. We would be a nation of trained killers.

I am a member of the NRA, and I own firearms. But I refuse to give indoctrinators a shot at teaching me to feel OK about using them to kill human beings.
So it's the compulsory service/training that you have a problem with and not compulsory gun ownership?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:46 PM

45,514 posts, read 60,746,993 times
http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...ition-memo.pdf

Gun Control Quotes

Barack Obama on Gun Control

Daley calls for new state laws on guns - Chicago Tribune

L.A. council passes gun control laws | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

YouTube - MD Sen. Brian Frosh - No CCW

Sen. Frosh (D) says no Anti-crime Exile bill to improve public safety unless he gets more gun control

Sen. Frosh will try to stop gun shows at Montgomery County fairgrounds

NRA-ILA :: Maryland General Assembly to Consider Handgun “Permit to Purchase” Legislation (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5522 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.