Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a "gun nut" free America. I've never gotten along with those who obsess over inanimate objects-they seem to be lacking something in their lives, and unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer for their obsession.

Not at all. That is like saying a women with matching curtains in the living room, and a few cherry matching end tables sees no meaning to life otherwise.
Or saying a guy with a brand new motorcycle who is constantly cleaning, and caring for it, has no other meaning to life.

Now just maybe younger people who simply can not function with out going everywhere with out the lastest greast techno gizmo, that can't walk with out falling down a man hole, or drive a car with out talking on a cell phone and at the same time texting on a keyboard just might be that obsess over inanimate objects.

If you ask me they are addicted, and get endrophine release from it.

I see this the same way a on line board troll gets his attention jollys.

I am not accusing you as a troll, just making it an example, of how I think. This is not personal.

As for guns, I was raised by a hunter. This means I spent quailty time with my Dad as a child, and learned something called responcibilty. He took me to target practice as well, and he took my little brother too, in the time.

Mom would pack lunches for both hunting and target practice. My uncles and my cousins came often times as well.

In my time I had a son, and I did the same things for him, but this time my wife is a shooter too.

We don't set about showing off guns, err well maybe that isn't exactly true. I do have some older very fine bolt action rifles made pre WW-2 with the most excellent wood to metal fit, and finishes that rival the best cars.

It can be hard to not dust, lightly oil, and admire the quality from time to time of these works of highly skilled labor.

I have some flintlocks made in a similar fashion, and enjoy keeping them in working order, which rivals most any modern gun.

I will agree the new wave gun culture does seem to be missing refinement, and some guns look as iof they are made from junk a hardware store threw in the trash, but that doesn't make them 'Evil' guns. It just makes them ugly.

But so far as I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The world of flintlocks took me to many places, caused me to learn alot of what I did not know before. That came as history, learning rocks, plants, better hunting skills, better use of kills, better use of junk other people throw away. I learned more about metals, and can heat treat the knives I make for sale or keep, and create art blades with fancy file working, which improved my skill to keep chainsaws sharp.

Other metals like silver I had never worked before have become common items I am known for, selling Trade Silver. Why at a ron dee voo I can't arrive and get out of my truck with out a line forming before i can simply open the trucks door anymore.

Guns have improved my life style in the most remakable ways.

With out guns I doubt if I would have ever bought a computer in the first place. The computer is just like a library only faster.

I was searching for information on my 2 Husky chainsaws a while back and discovered the Husky company started out making muskets to begin with.

To ignor guns is the same as ignoring history. I do fear the golden age of guns is passing. A high rate of unskilled labor cnc parts mim parts are not helping, just like cars are getting to be a Royal Pain, of overly complicated rolling junk. The golden age of cars is going as well.

The golden age of real wood has been gone a long time, but nothing got better for it. Often times if you search you can still buy a quality wooden item for the same price as cheap sawdust and glue furnishings...

I tend to fuss over the obsesstion of quality of life and in my life is guns.

Hey that's just me huh?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

Why would you not be for laws that mandate gun ownership.
I'm opposed to laws that mandate that American citizens do evrything you want to do yourself. You're in love with your stupid gun, that's your business. I'm a supporter of domestic partnerships, and you can marry your gun or your sheep if you want to, but I don't want to force you to.

Quote:
(you'd be surprised how many liberals are embarrased to say they support gun rights) would say "they are following the law rather than going through the hassle of exemption papers."
I'm a liberal and I'm not embarrassed at all to say I support gun rights just as vigorously as you do, because I understand why we have gun rights. You obviously do not. And no hassle at all is required, since the law has never been enforced, and conscientious objector status does not need to be filed for in advance. Just don't get a gun in Kennesaw if you don't want to. Period. No problem.

In case you're wondering, a well-regulated militia is not intended to consist of some redneck on his back porch shooting with lethal intent when a kid takes a shortcut across his lawn. That's not the purpose of the II Amendment, and that's not the gun rights I support.

Quote:
Without actual pre and post law ownership numbers (which I am sure is private information), there really isn't a way to tell.
Are you kidding? How many people are known to be complying with or breaking the law is "private information"?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-02-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
That does not make any sense what so ever.

Jay Leno -- Historical car collector, probably owns more expensive cars than anyone, including custom built machines.
How about people who "obsess" over coffee?
Movie buffs? Avid readers? You're alienated a very specific group of people based on nothing.
It makes perfect sense. Obsessive people are boring, and while obsessing over coffee just makes you unusual, those who obsess over firearms can and do have an effect on those who don't have this peculiarity. Example- single issue voting. Candidate Smith is a well qualified, experienced lawmaker endorsed by many legitimate organizations-he favors a cooling off period and background check for handgun purchases. Candidate Jones is a newcomer to politics, questionable qualifications and a sketchy past-he favors a repeal of all handgun laws. Guess who the NRA will endorse and who the NRA members will vote for? Don't say it doesn't happen-I've seen it time and time again. I don't like single issue voting from the handgun banning nuts, either.
Guns are just a tool, albeit a potentially dangerous one, and I have no problem with guns. But I do have a problem with those who can't see what this "gun culture" has done to America and who fight any kind of attempt to put into place some common sense laws. You're against a cooling off period and a background check for a handgun purchase? Really? You don't see anything wrong with open carry? America is becoming a nation of big mouthed, tough guy paranoids, and maybe I'm out of step with society because I don't share this paranoia. So be it.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The Ak-47 might be, but the clones are not.

The Ar-15 is not, but the M-16 might be..

I understand you are not anti, but do you see what I am saying?

I know the answers to the questions I posed, but am after an inteligent answer from the anti.

I already know the Lefty Side Step too.

No lefty is capable of the answer, because 20 minutes to search google for the answers is too hard, and like work. This has been proven by 40 years of ignorance on purpose.

No lefty can tell a can of Colt 45 beer from a Colt 45 gun.

Both wet their pants.
It seems like you and i understand the difference but the mainstream does not. It's scary how many people are just uninformed.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I support the NRA stance on gun ownership, possession and use. I most emphatically do not support any of their other political positions. IMHO the NRA should stick with gun rights and leave the other Right Wing baggage behind. That stuff just distorts the message.

I am not embarrassed to have either a left of liberal political stance or support the right to use guns in any manner so long as the shooter is personally responsible for any damage done by the bullet he fired.

A Gun Free US is a bad idea because then the young knife and club wielding (not to mention the illegal gun wielding) thugs would have an unlimited and defenseless target population. It would be like taking the hooves of the horses and letting the bears loose.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm opposed to laws that mandate that American citizens do evrything you want to do yourself. You're in love with your stupid gun, that's your business. I'm a supporter of domestic partnerships, and you can marry your gun or your sheep if you want to, but I don't want to force you to.
Who said I wanted it? You just never addressed it. You glossed over the entire argument just for the "sucker born every minute" comment.

Quote:
I'm a liberal and I'm not embarrassed at all to say I support gun rights just as vigorously as you do, because I understand why we have gun rights. You obviously do not.
You know nothing about me. I wouldn't generalize so hastily.

Quote:
And no hassle at all is required, since the law has never been enforced, and conscientious objector status does not need to be filed for in advance. Just don't get a gun in Kennesaw if you don't want to. Period. No problem.
Excellent. Having the law, however, does have an effect, whether more people armed themselves or not: why do you suppose that is? If no more people bought firearms, but crime decreased, (and in another town where guns were banned, crime increased), why would you not support that law.

Quote:
In case you're wondering, a well-regulated militia is not intended to consist of some redneck on his back porch shooting with lethal intent when a kid takes a shortcut across his lawn.
Just going to stop this argument before it goes anywhere. The second amendment is not about a state militia and it is not a state right. It's an individual right. Some redneck plinking cans in his yard is not a threat to the nation, and claiming he's shooting at kids for shortcutting his lawn is a strawman argument.

Quote:
That's not the purpose of the II Amendment, and that's not the gun rights I support.
What gun rights do you support, and what is the purpose of the second amendment?

Quote:
Are you kidding? How many people are known to be complying with or breaking the law is "private information"?
You said yourself nobody has been prosecuted (and nobody probably will be). Since there are not crime statistics for that law, whomever bought weapons after the fact, and definitely who had them before the law, is private information.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Scarabchuck - You have just insulted me. I never liked the beer but I can put seven into the same hole with the pistol and I can obliterate the target with a slide action 12ga. I suggest refrain from using "all liberals". We are not all the same.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a "gun nut" free America. I've never gotten along with those who obsess over inanimate objects-they seem to be lacking something in their lives, and unfortunately, the rest of us have to suffer for their obsession.
Do you have any hobbies ? do you collect anything ? People collect things, it's what they do, it's called a hobby.

I collect many things:
Offshore powerboat racing memorabilia
ATV's
Knives
Guns

I guess that makes me a nut on many different levels.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It seems like you and i understand the difference but the mainstream does not. It's scary how many people are just uninformed.
Is the SG-550 an assault rifle, or not? Are a half a million Swiss citizens required to keep one in their homes, or not? Is the Swiss example the OP of this thread, or not?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Scarabchuck - You have just insulted me. I never liked the beer but I can put seven into the same hole with the pistol and I can obliterate the target with a slide action 12ga. I suggest refrain from using "all liberals". We are not all the same.
Please re read. I did not make that statement. I am in agreeance with that posters ideas on "assault weapons" nothing more.
I would never drink Colt 45 , I tried it and hated it when I was in high school and I don't own a .45 why have that when you can have a 10mm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.