Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,837,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're talking about compulsory indoctrination of every American in something you yourself personally believe in.
Actually, YOU are talking about compulsory indoctrination. I'm talking about compulsory participation. They are, indeed, distinct. Paying taxes, for example, does not indoctrinate anyone.

Quote:
There was also a voice-over by a woman who expressed the same view. There was a title over the screen that said "Why Switzerland has the lowest crime rate", which was not addressed. The title of the page, "Why nobody invades Switzerland" was not addressed. The producers wanted us to believe that those guns achieve those stated goals, which remained unexplained.
Unrelated to my question and purposes.

Quote:
Then why the title of the piece, used as your peg to hang the OP on? I, too, have visited holocaust museums. To be sure, they did not inspire me to prepare and equip myself to kill humans.
Forget the title of the brief clip. Call it whatever you want if that's such a hang-up.

Please tell me exactly what you heard the man in the video say when he was recounting his experience with the holocaust museum. I'm curious why you believe this is such a murderous idea.

Quote:
Are you saying my rhetoric is the reason why there is distrust in America, or that I have merely brought it to your attention?
What I'm saying about your rhetoric is that it has been consistent with an attitude distrustful of large, regimented organizations, including government. How you could come up with any assertion of causality is beyond me.

Quote:
I already said that. We would be a nation of trained killers.

I am a member of the NRA, and I own firearms. But I refuse to give indoctrinators a shot at teaching me to feel OK about using them to kill human beings.
So, understanding how to use a weapon makes one a killer or influences morality?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
So it's the compulsory service/training that you have a problem with and not compulsory gun ownership?
I also have a problem with compulsory gun ownership for people who are not willing or capable of exercising due care and responsibility for the weapon entrusted to them. I'm not sure I want to force every sociopath to have one, either, which would validate his power.

Think of all the people you know. Are you sure you want ALL of them to have an assault rifle in their bedroom?

I don't think the word 'compulsory' ought to be thrown around casually, as in "This is what I like to do, so I think it ought to be compulsory". I object to you telling me that I am forced to possess and safely maintain a gun, and to regard it as a tool whose useful purpose is to kill human beings.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-01-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,016,333 times
Quote:
I also have a problem with compulsory gun ownership for people who are not willing or capable of exercising due care and responsibility for the weapon entrusted to them. I'm not sure I want to force every sociopath to have one, either, which would validate his power.

Think of all the people you know. Are you sure you want ALL of them to have an assault rifle in their bedroom?

I don't think the word 'compulsory' ought to be thrown around casually, as in "This is what I like to do, so I think it ought to be compulsory". I object to you telling me that I am forced to possess and safely maintain a gun, and to regard it as a tool whose useful purpose is to kill human beings.

Do you even know what an assault rifle is? Can you say if these are legal anywhere at all? If they are who may own one?

I expect a few detailed bits of what you know.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,736,559 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure. I think we could take a cue from the Swiss...

Why no one invades Switzerland
A gun-free USA would not be a better USA.

First of all, it's not even possible. There are untold tens of millions of guns in the hands of tens of millions of people. How is it possible to even begin to confiscate them all? And would all hunting rifles, shotguns, etc. have to be confiscated? How about WW2 guns kept for sentimental reasons, or Civil War muzzle-loaders?

Even so, assuming all current guns could be confiscated, just about anybody who wants to can make a gun. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I'm pretty sure I could go to Home Depot and pick up everything needed to construct a very crude gun.

But more than anything else... People who are determined to do violence will do violence. The deadliness of what weapons they use lies only in degrees.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Do you even know what an assault rifle is? Can you say if these are legal anywhere at all? If they are who may own one?

I expect a few detailed bits of what you know.
How about an SG-550, like the one that Swiss guy in the video is required by law to keep in his home.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM

So who in America do you know that has one of those? Would one be legal in America? If so who could own one?

Or is this a debate is what guns the Swiss can have? If it is I am out of line, since i am not Swiss, nor have I ever been there.

What is an AK-47? What makes an Ak-47 different from a Sar-1?

Is there any legal AK-47 in the USA?
Is there any legal Sar-1 in the USA?

If so who can own them?

What act is there that allows machine guns to private owners in America?

After 1940, how many machineguns have been used to commit crimes?

My bet is you have no idea what you're talking about, and you still have no idea what an assault rifle is.

This is a beef of mine with people like you. You Know Nuthin and pretend to be something of an expert.

This has been the case for more than 40 years, and if the anti's can't learn a thing in 40+ years, that just says there is no hope this side of Hell.

30 years ago the song and dance was Saturday Night Special, and maybe if anyone knew what one was we could have banned it.

So far in gun stores i never found one.

Besides todays assault rifles, which I am not all to sure I know what that term means, there is another anti call for sniper rifles, and i can't say i ever saw one of those for sale either.

Once I made a gun of a hunk of plank, an old pipe and added on a lawnmower muffler for effect. It looked pretty real, but it was a joke, and did that scare the pants of some anti's.

Really before you go about making yourself and others look like fools, just learn a few simple facts any idiot can look up in a google search.

Note, all your heros have proffesional BODY Guards, total hypocrites.

There will never BE any BAN, and there will always be the 2nd... For those who don't like that idea , it's a free country, and you are free to leave to any of the other countries in the world where you can't own a legal gun and still be legal.

After the last gun vote no democrate has the gonads to even mention the word ban anymore. Instant ticket to no job, no faster possible carreer killer period.

The only truely safe world is the same one bambi lives in. Good luck with that.

Now of it is possible answer the questions, or be honest, and say you can't.

I predict you do the famouse Democrate Side Step Dance.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Or is this a debate is what guns the Swiss can have? If it is I am out of line, since i am not Swiss, nor have I ever been there.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought the OP was
Quote:
I think we could take a cue from the Swiss...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,885,526 times
Don't feed the troll. He'll never learn and doesn't want to anyway .
I defy him or anyone else to show me proof that more guns in the hands of law abiding people has caused crime to rise.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,895,193 times
Oh yes, I am quite sure the criminal element will be the first ones in line to turn in all their firepower. Besides, the right to keep and bear arms was not put in the constitution to keep us safe from the run of the mill felons. It was there to keep us safe from government.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Yuh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates