Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

314 posts, read 189,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
oh id never give up meat myself. but i cant eat bbq every week. it's just too heavy
If you don't mind, I'll take that which is too heavy for you. BBQ is good, meat is good, vegetables are good (but in moderation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Thats my point, doctors need to start telling people what they need to eat, and what their diet will do to them. We need to have education courses showing people how to eat well.

Are you high? Doctors have been saying stuff about healthy eating habits (including less red meat) for decades.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you high? Doctors have been saying stuff about healthy eating habits (including less red meat) for decades.
I doubt Memphis is high, just hopeful (I am not). It is true that docs having been saying "eat healthy" for decades. But even they are not necessarily experts in nutrition. Western docs treat the problem...most don't deal with preventative medicine.

I am lucky to have a doctor who is a bit more pro-active with his patients, and is very well-versed in dietary habits and restrictions. He doesn't pull any punches when it comes to describing what will happen if a person continues to eat extremely unhealthy food.

There's a certain fast-food chain where I live which makes the best French fries in the entire world. I could eat those every day, all day. I just don't want to end up the size of a horse. Some people do.

Sorry, but I agree with others. People who are morbidly obese and/or smoke like a chimney should pay much higher insurance rates than those who regularly exercise and have fewer "bad habits" that are known to cause several diseases. Taxing the heck out of crappy fast foods would do wonders...but I don't think that's going to happen either.

Eat what you will and be happy with your choices. My point is that I can't help but resent that the cost of treating morbidly obese people or lifelong smokers raises my insurance rates - and everyone else's.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I doubt Memphis is high, just hopeful (I am not). It is true that docs having been saying "eat healthy" for decades. But even they are not necessarily experts in nutrition. Western docs treat the problem...most don't deal with preventative medicine.

I am lucky to have a doctor who is a bit more pro-active with his patients, and is very well-versed in dietary habits and restrictions. He doesn't pull any punches when it comes to describing what will happen if a person continues to eat extremely unhealthy food.
Most docs I know are like the one you described in the second paragraph. And docs and the media have been all over red meat like a bad rash for over 2 decades. This is not new information.

Facts about good nutrition and healthy eating habits are not new information. And you don't need a doc to tell you this stuff.

If docs you've encountered aren't telling you more often to quit smoking or to re-evaluate your diet, it's probably because people get really angry at them for harping on this. That doesn't make it right not to do it, but it does often make it less likely a patient is going to come back and see you.

This 'docs only solve the problem' business is all self-fulfilling prophecy. We live in a country where people don't give two whits about their own health and only show up at the doctors' offices when they are sick. They routinely ignore advice about stopping smoking, losing weight, and engaging in cardiovascular exercise. So of course it looks like all the docs deal with is problems...especially when Joe Schmoe says, "Hell with this, I can always take a pill."

Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM

112 posts, read 140,889 times
Quote:
oh id never give up meat myself. but i cant eat bbq every week. it's just too heavy
haha i can easily eat a BBQ once a week but with the weather in england its more like once a year :P

Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Food that hasn't come from a factory or chemical plant.

Some people's responses on here are quite enlightening. The whole "I'm an American, so if I want to eat a whole cow and a bag of refined sugar a week I will" is pretty much what I think is wrong with America. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains isn't some kind of hippie liberal conspiracy. It's a balanced diet.
That's why I said 'variety of food.' I wasn't talking about different flavors of Doritos--I meant a variety of the types of foods eaten. I'm very partial to grains, myself, but that's just me. On the other hand, I wouldn't care if I never see most fruits again. For every portion of fruit the food gods tell me I should eat, I eat a whole beet instead. Hey, we all have different tastes.

Quote:
im korean, and i gotta say, eating korean food has really helped in keeping me slim and fit. not that all koreans are slim, or that koreans eat any less. but rice, noodles, veggies, tea, and occasional (and i do mean occasional, as in once a month or two months) korean bbq is a pretty nice way to "diet".

of course, i dont think the majority of americans would go for a korean diet
Some of the best food I've ever had was in Seoul, ROK. I love spicy foods and Korean cuisine has some wonderfully spicy stuff (along with other things as well). My mouth is watering just thinking of the bulgogi I had there--yum, yum--nothing like that served in the Korean restaurants here in the states (at least in my area).

Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM

122 posts, read 330,839 times
chrisc, im glad you had such a great time with korean cuisine while overseas. i dont like most korean culture, but i will always love the food. most americans who never tried it are so surprised by how good it is once they do try it.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
im korean, and i gotta say, eating korean food has really helped in keeping me slim and fit. not that all koreans are slim, or that koreans eat any less. but rice, noodles, veggies, tea, and occasional (and i do mean occasional, as in once a month or two months) korean bbq is a pretty nice way to "diet".

of course, i dont think the majority of americans would go for a korean diet
Some people might try it you skip the kimchi. Americans think they are very tolerant of foreign diets, but are actually very picky eaters. Americans won't eat worms or insects at all, and won't eat the heads of anything.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperlibri View Post
We are picky because we CAN BE, and we don't eat WORMS, INSECTS and HEADS because we DON'T NEED TO.
Is this to imply that we DO need to eat Tater Tots, Snickers bars, and Hot Pockets?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperlibri View Post
...and we have harnessed nature so as to provide use with such larder and such options...

Always Free
1) Yes, I believe many feel this is the problem with lots of folks in the US: lard.

2) We only think we've harnessed nature. Our rose colored glasses are removed when a large-scale natural disaster strikes.

3) Yes, I firmly support free agency without interference from nannies or anyone else. Absolute freedom for all. Sadly, many confuse freedom with hedonism. They are not the same. Freedom does not mean there is no right and wrong, good and bad. It simply means you have the right to bury yourself in the bad if you wish.

footnote: as for eating worms. I've never tried it. Perhaps they taste like chicken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates