Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,719,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnoAhiMahi View Post
I think you are confusing Pigs and Cows. Cows are the bigger ones with hooves, hornes and long legs.

I see lots of cows around here, out in the pastures on the hills etc., on either side of I-5 S of Stockton. I don't see any in troughs, but I do see feed lots where they feed them grain.

Could you clarify which country is "...in our country..." ityou are referring to since it can't be the U.S.

OAM

Mad Cow disease came from cows eating other cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,451,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Yep, and this is a "ingenious recycling effort"

Yeah right.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, and this is a "ingenious recycling effort"

Yeah right.
You are so right! If somebody is hell bent on eating a ton of beef there are organic local "grown" beef cows. Yes I know that is more expansive so either eat less or pony up the money. I would think that skipping the drive through and taking a walk and delighting in a healthy body would make up for it, but, clearly I can see that not everybody follows my line of thought

Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM

27 posts, read 14,785 times
Quote:
I've seen calfs, and I am certain that even the biggest bull couldn't eat one.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Question for you Mr. hours, how many people die on this planet from starvation as compared to mad cow disease?

Are you aware that every year millions die because of a faked story about DDT being harmful to the environment. Malaria is not a pleasant death, but millions are subjected to it by wacked-out nutcase libs.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Question for you Mr. hours, how many people die on this planet from starvation as compared to mad cow disease?

Are you aware that every year millions die because of a faked story about DDT being harmful to the environment. Malaria is not a pleasant death, but millions are subjected to it by wacked-out nutcase libs.

OnoAhiMahi
We spend more food, and energy raising cattle, than we would if we cut back on beef, and just ate the corn.

I forgot the exact amount (we discussed this in Chemistry 15 years ago), but it was somewhere on the order of, it takes a half an acre of corn, to raise one cow.

You can feed around 40 people with the corn, and about 20 with the cow.

Again, the numbers are off, I'm sure, but it was around two times as many people can be feed with vegetables, as can by raising cattle. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't eat cattle, we should, I like beef. Just less amounts of it.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
We spend more food, and energy raising cattle, than we would if we cut back on beef, and just ate the corn.

I forgot the exact amount (we discussed this in Chemistry 15 years ago), but it was somewhere on the order of, it takes a half an acre of corn, to raise one cow.

Again, the numbers are off, I'm sure, but it was around two times as many people can be feed with vegetables, as can by raising cattle. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't eat cattle, we should, I like beef. Just less amounts of it.
Do you know what happens to people who eat corn? And can you think of a better use of half an acre of corn than to make it into a cow?

I buy a full prime rib from Costco and cut it up. Every now and then, Top Sirloin or similar meat. Chicken is OK I suppose, but beef is the best.

People who eat corn get fat, because it is carbs, and that is what makes you chubby.

As far as the half-acre of corn goes, I am open for other uses besides making it into a cow - motor fuel would be okay with me.

Sashimi is good, too.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

That question was for Mr. Hours, not YOU!!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 PM

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, reported at the July 24-26 meeting of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in Montreal. Or, if those grains were exported, it would boost the U.S. trade balance by $80 billion a year, Pimentel estimated.

Cornell Science News: Livestock Production

So, if you take all of the grain spent on cattle farming now, you'd feed 800 million people. We have 300 million in the states now. Thats enough food, more than twice over, than every man woman and child in the states.

Read it for yourself.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

OnoAhiMahi
I don't even know what a waked out nutcase lib is so I can't even begin to answer your question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates