Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, about those fish that are so healthy for us that swim in the ocean...

Little kids pee in it.
Drunken boaters puke in it.
People dump toxic waste in it.
Fish fertilize in it.
Gulls poop in it.
Swimmers/surfers get sun tan lotion in it.

I think I'll pass on the seafood.
You really have no idea what goes into beef today do you?

People have been doing those things (except toxic waste) since the beginning of our time on this planet. Fish was a regular part of our ancestors diets. We evolved to eat it, and it should be a regular part of your diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Has anyone been watching the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution show? It's airing on ABC right now. He went into a West Virginia town trying to change people's eating habits (especially in the schools) and a good number of people are fighting him every step of the way.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
You'd better stop breathing air, too. I think it's been contaminated by people farting and burping.
(Not to mention the chemical toxins, both natural and not, that are hovering in the air!)
Hey, I like to fish. I just don't eat anything that comes out of the water.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lalalalalalalalalalalal....I can't hear you. Don't tell me, okay?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Lalalalalalalalalalalal....I can't hear you. Don't tell me, okay?
Did you know that most of the cattle feed they feed them, is made of recycled cow?

Cows don't grow up on a nice green pasture, with a farmer helping them. They are kept in troughs, feed steroids, and antibiotics, and left over cow parts McDonalds won't even put in their burgers.

Thats not even the half of it. Beef in our country is an atrocity.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM

27 posts, read 14,680 times
Quote:
Did you know that most of the cattle feed they feed them, is made of recycled cow?

Cows don't grow up on a nice green pasture, with a farmer helping them. They are kept in troughs, feed steroids, and antibiotics, and left over cow parts McDonalds won't even put in their burgers.

Thats not even the half of it. Beef in our country is an atrocity.
I think you are confusing Pigs and Cows. Cows are the bigger ones with hooves, hornes and long legs.

I see lots of cows around here, out in the pastures on the hills etc., on either side of I-5 S of Stockton. I don't see any in troughs, but I do see feed lots where they feed them grain.

Could you clarify which country is "...in our country..." ityou are referring to since it can't be the U.S.

OAM

Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:

People have been doing those things (except toxic waste) since the beginning of our time on this planet. Fish was a regular part of our ancestors diets. We evolved to eat it, and it should be a regular part of your diet.
In know what goes into beef to day. Blades of grass, lots of blades of grass, and a thing the call "grain", and every now and then, a slow-moving grasshopper.

And you know what comes out - Vegans!!!!

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnoAhiMahi View Post
I think you are confusing Pigs and Cows. Cows are the bigger ones with hooves, hornes and long legs.

I see lots of cows around here, out in the pastures on the hills etc., on either side of I-5 S of Stockton. I don't see any in troughs, but I do see feed lots where they feed them grain.

Could you clarify which country is "...in our country..." ityou are referring to since it can't be the U.S.

OAM
Howard Lyman remembers his days as a Montana cattleman, a fourth-generation rancher who raised some 30,000 cattle for slaughter at a farm and feedlot southeast of Great Falls.

He also remembers what his cows ate -- and the popular notion that cattle spend their lives grazing in green pastures is far from reality, Lyman says.

"When I was a kid, you raised your cows on mother's milk," the 65-year-old Lyman said. "Then as they'd get older, they'd graze most the year and winter on hay."

But that's not how it happens now -- and hasn't for a long time.

Ranchers found that grain rations mixed with proteins could help fatten and muscle out herds more quickly, and in turn, bring mature livestock to market much faster, Lyman said.

And, in farming communities, a variety of protein sources were readily available, from soybeans or peanuts or cottonseed. Or, from chicken feces, poultry feathers, cow blood or other parts of pigs, horses, fish, cattle and just about any animal part unfit for human consumption.

Cattle feed is often a sum of animal parts

Trust me, they are feed cattle, and lots of other nasty things.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Howard Lyman remembers his days as a Montana cattleman, a fourth-generation rancher who raised some 30,000 cattle for slaughter at a farm and feedlot southeast of Great Falls.

He also remembers what his cows ate -- and the popular notion that cattle spend their lives grazing in green pastures is far from reality, Lyman says.

"When I was a kid, you raised your cows on mother's milk," the 65-year-old Lyman said. "Then as they'd get older, they'd graze most the year and winter on hay."

But that's not how it happens now -- and hasn't for a long time.

Ranchers found that grain rations mixed with proteins could help fatten and muscle out herds more quickly, and in turn, bring mature livestock to market much faster, Lyman said.

And, in farming communities, a variety of protein sources were readily available, from soybeans or peanuts or cottonseed. Or, from chicken feces, poultry feathers, cow blood or other parts of pigs, horses, fish, cattle and just about any animal part unfit for human consumption.

Cattle feed is often a sum of animal parts

Trust me, they are feed cattle, and lots of other nasty things.
Sounds like the perfect recycling program to me. How ingeneous they are.

Are you saying you object to this????? Of course, if you do object to this, you can always get your beef from a small farmer. Buy a side of beef, have it cut up and packaged and put it in your freezer. A half-cow will last a single person upwards of 6 months!!

Of course, you might pay more for it. Speaking of paying more, I read of a 500 # Bluefin Tuna that sold for, get this, $177,000!!!!!! That would pay Mahi's fuel bill for a year, or maybe 2.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,940,501 times
I've moved to eating fish and chicken instead of red meat, but I still have it on occasion. Trying to eat 'healthier'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates