Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Dinner tonight was a nice NY strip steak (from the grill, medium rare), baked potato with sour cream and fresh chives and a salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
I really fail to see whats wrong with eating Red meat iv been eating tons of it for years and feel fine.. Also seems to be lots and lots of real HEALTH FREAKS on these forums like get realll its not that bad for you. Your probably one of them people that say drinking water out of the tap is bad for you and drink only bottled water LOL.
I suggest you read the link I posted earlier.

Yes, some people are fine to eat red meat, day in, day out, for life. However, its been linked to Alzheimers, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease.

Just as only 20 to 30% of those who smoke get lung cancer, perhaps you're in the lucky few who won't have anything happen to you.

And I'm not advocating getting rid of all red meat, just changing the social standards. As I said before, once upon a time, it seemed that eating red meat with every meal was a good thing. We now know this to not be the case. Most nutrition experts agree, you should only eat about one child sized hamburger worth of red meat per day. Thats about 14 ounces a week.

Its common to eat a 20oz steak one day a week, and burgers, sausage, bacon, and all other kinds of red meat on top of that.

I think we should change the social standard, thats all.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM

112 posts, read 140,813 times
I wouldnt say im the "the lucky few" Id more categorise myself as the Majority of people who eat meat eat a lot of red meat their entire lives and very few have health problems do you find people complaining all the whilee about having all these problems PURELY because they ate red meat all their lives?

I think your Just Scare Mongering like so many people do these days... you cant eat this you cant take that, this is bad for you this will give you 20% less to live its all rubbish scaremongering.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt say im the "the lucky few" Id more categorise myself as the Majority of people who eat meat eat a lot of red meat their entire lives and very few have health problems do you find people complaining all the whilee about having all these problems PURELY because they ate red meat all their lives?

I think your Just Scare Mongering like so many people do these days... you cant eat this you cant take that, this is bad for you this will give you 20% less to live its all rubbish scaremongering.
Do you have any statistics to back up your claims that very few feel ill effects of eating red meat constantly?

I provided a link earlier, I don't really feel like re-posting it. I suggest you read THE WHOLE thing, and then post something to try and rebut its conclusions.

That, is a debate, not opinion.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 PM

You could list a million things that may or may not contribute to living a longer life or less risk of heart disease etc. but the truth is it really does not make much of a difference their are people that eat a steak a day and live to 80 then some people die at 50. I Believe eat what you enjoy you only live once.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You could list a million things that may or may not contribute to living a longer life or less risk of heart disease etc. but the truth is it really does not make much of a difference their are people that eat a steak a day and live to 80 then some people die at 50. I Believe eat what you enjoy you only live once.
So you have no proof to substantiate your claim, i.e. opinion.

Good to know.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So you have no proof to substantiate your claim, i.e. opinion.

Good to know.
That Link is not exactly proof It May well be LINKED to eating red meat but theirs no 100% sure that it is purely because of that could be other reasons.

theirs no proof that eating red meat is REALLY bad for your health e.g. dangerous it may well increase chances of certain diseases my a very small amount but what im saying is its nothing at all to be worried about and is not a valid reason to stop eating it . I dont need proof, the proof is millions of humans eating red meat regularly since the Birth of Man and still living to ripe old ages.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That Link is not exactly proof It May well be LINKED to eating red meat but theirs no 100% sure that it is purely because of that could be other reasons.

theirs no proof that eating red meat is REALLY bad for your health e.g. dangerous it may well increase chances of certain diseases my a very small amount but what im saying is its nothing at all to be worried about and is not a valid reason to stop eating it . I dont need proof, the proof is millions of humans eating red meat regularly since the Birth of Man and still living to ripe old ages.
There is no proof that smoking causes lung cancer, but its generally accepted, that its bad for you.

Thats because most doctors and scientists see it that way. The science is clear on smoking. Its also very clear on red meat, as the link I showed from CORNELL BTW, shows.

Yet, the government hasn't gone to the efforts to educate the public about their nutrition, like they did with smoking.

Thats the point.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Don't forget exercise. Weight loss in itself doesn't make you healthy; you have to move around.

As for diet, you can eat ALMOST anything as long as it is in moderation and the portions correspond to your daily physical exertion.

Red meat isn't bad for you unless you have too much of it. I started eating a small (2 oz.) eye of round steak with an egg every breakfast at the beginning of this year and have lost 30 pounds (and counting). But breakfast is the only time I have red meat.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Don't forget exercise. Weight loss in itself doesn't make you healthy; you have to move around.

As for diet, you can eat ALMOST anything as long as it is in moderation and the portions correspond to your daily physical exertion.

Red meat isn't bad for you unless you have too much of it. I started eating a small (2 oz.) eye of round steak with an egg every breakfast at the beginning of this year and have lost 30 pounds (and counting). But breakfast is the only time I have red meat.
And those are responsible portions, which is what I'm trying to figure out, how do we get that to be normal. Right now, normal is sausage for breakfast, a burger for lunch, and a steak for dinner.

Do that 4 times a week, and you're eating 4 times as much red meat as one person is supposed to be getting for the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates