Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, I have posted links to evidence I have posted. Others have not. I know "oatmeal" doesn't have corn products in it. But if you buy the ones with extras added onto it, like dinosaur eggs, or "brown sugar" flavor on it, have high fructose corn syrup.

Read the whole thread, then you'll see where I'm coming from. I'm tired of reposting my position, because people won't read what I've already wrote.
Well, your position just seems a bit odd. I'm not going to say that high fructose corn syrup is a good thing. But on the other hand, I'm not going to say that corn (real corn) is a bad thing. You tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Since when is corn a 'bad food'? When did our society demonize corn?

Sugar can be made out of lots of things. How long will it be before we demonize every type of food except for a head of lettuce? Sorry, but I'm going to be hard-headed about this. You will never convince me that if I slice the kernels off from an ear of corn and eat them, that is a bad or unhealthy thing. Having corn in other foods is not evil either--corn in a stew; corn in cornbread; corn in a tortilla; corn-meal mush; corn flour in bread; corn that has been canned fresh from the field; etc. Non of that is bad. You are making way too sweeping of generalizations about corn. If your target is high fructose corn syrup, attack that, not everything that has corn in it. There is a difference between corn and corn syrup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, your position just seems a bit odd. I'm not going to say that high fructose corn syrup is a good thing. But on the other hand, I'm not going to say that corn (real corn) is a bad thing. You tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Since when is corn a 'bad food'? When did our society demonize corn?

Sugar can be made out of lots of things. How long will it be before we demonize every type of food except for a head of lettuce? Sorry, but I'm going to be hard-headed about this. You will never convince me that if I slice the kernels off from an ear of corn and eat them, that is a bad or unhealthy thing. Having corn in other foods is not evil either--corn in a stew; corn in cornbread; corn in a tortilla; corn-meal mush; corn flour in bread; corn that has been canned fresh from the field; etc. Non of that is bad. You are making way too sweeping of generalizations about corn. If your target is high fructose corn syrup, attack that, not everything that has corn in it. There is a difference between corn and corn syrup.
Ok, since you didn't read it.

I stated that the high red meat diet we are used to, and encouraged to eat is bad.

Later, someone said that he didn't want to eat corn. I stated that corn was in most of everything he ate. Thats where the high fructose corn syrup came in.

Please,

read the thread.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
You won't get an argument from me about red meat. I don't eat much of it. But, each of the alternatives you eat has at one time or another been attacked by researchers and deemed unhealthy. The fish you eat is full of mercury. The chicken is shot up with all kinds of drugs. Turkeys too. Then there are pesticides in the veggies. Bacteria in the fruit. Everything we eat is poisoning us. Genetically altered franken-foods. What exactly is left?

I stopped listening years ago. Especially when every five years, dieticians and nutritionists would come out with studies showing us that we should be eating just the opposite of what the study from five years prior told us we should be eating. The 'Atkins' thing and low-carb BS was the last straw for me. Of course, now those have been deemed unhealthy too. How about just eating a good round diet in small portions, and leaving it at that? As with everything else our species touches, we try to make it into rocket science. Honestly, who is stupid enough to live on Doritos and soda, or giant steaks three times a day?

In response to the original question, no, I don't think it's time to tell anybody what to eat or what's 'normal' for them. Let them decide for themselves. If it kills them, it kills them. It's the Libs who are always whining about overpopulation anyway, right? Yet, they want to try to legislate immortality. Talking about irony. They should be mandating that everyone live on vodka and cigarettes.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are four things in our eating habits that are much more important to change than the red-meat factor.

1. Families should eat together, to improve the home life experience of children
2. Meals should be cooked from scratch, to reduce the cost of eating.
3. Junk food should be reduced, to improve the nutritional value of meals.
4. People should eat less, to reduce our world-leading obesity rate.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM

51 posts, read 48,097 times
Quote:
Are you claiming to be an expert then? Have you a degree in nutrion? Are you a digestive doctor? Do you work for the FDA?

Or are you just making an uninformed, self centered position?
Once again, an empty string of words in desperate search of point to make, or thought to convey.

I've noticed that there is a strong correlation between those who want to reduce or eliminate it from the diet (and I suspect they want to eliminate it from everyone's diet, not just their's) and, shall we say, non-hacker status. The wimps losers of the world who can't seem to do anything for themselves. The damn-near-parasite class.

No, I am not a doctor, BUT I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, since you didn't read it.

I stated that the high red meat diet we are used to, and encouraged to eat is bad.

Later, someone said that he didn't want to eat corn. I stated that corn was in most of everything he ate. Thats where the high fructose corn syrup came in.

Please,

read the thread.
I didn't say I didn't want to eat corn, I said it isn't a staple anyone in their right mind would want, as opposed to beef. Go to a buffet where there are steaks or corn on the cob or corn meal mush and tell me whre your reach.

However, I musst admit that corn is an excellent staples- if you are a cow!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are four things in our eating habits that are much more important to change than the red-meat factor.

1. Families should eat together, to improve the home life experience of children
2. Meals should be cooked from scratch, to reduce the cost of eating.
3. Junk food should be reduced, to improve the nutritional value of meals.
4. People should eat less, to reduce our world-leading obesity rate.

Item 1.Great idea.

Item 2. Depnds on how much your time is worth. My comes with a $100 price tag per hour, so home cooking would greatly increate cost of eating. However, if your're a minimum-wager, that might be true.

Item 3. Depends on how much you eat. If you don't eat much, then there is no reason to reduce it.

Item 4. Ditto, without a baseline level of consumption, items 3 and 4 are meaningless.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
[quote=nxtrms;13695476].

[Item 2. Depends on how much your time is worth. My comes with a $100 price tag per hour, so home cooking would greatly increase cost of eating. However, if you're a minimum-wager, that might be true.]

don't wind up one of those old guys who decides to retire to "spend more time with his family" and find your self sitting around a table eating with a bunch of strangers.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 PM

[quote=thriftylefty;13695656]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post

[Item 2. Depends on how much your time is worth. My comes with a $100 price tag per hour, so home cooking would greatly increase cost of eating. However, if you're a minimum-wager, that might be true.]

don't wind up one of those old guys who decides to retire to "spend more time with his family" and find your self sitting around a table eating with a bunch of strangers.
No, I usually eat with my wife. We a run biz together that is one of our multiple steams of income.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM

112 posts, read 140,813 times
Quote:
There is no proof that smoking causes lung cancer, but its generally accepted, that its bad for you.

Thats because most doctors and scientists see it that way. The science is clear on smoking. Its also very clear on red meat, as the link I showed from CORNELL BTW, shows.

Yet, the government hasn't gone to the efforts to educate the public about their nutrition, like they did with smoking.

Thats the point.
I really dont think their has been research that has proved that smoking 40 cigs a day is just as bad as eating a big steak everyday or is their??

Its just common sense inhaling SMOKE of any kind cant be good, whereas you can eat a diet full of red meat your entire life and not have any related health problems with which i might add the majority of people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates