Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's what I was going to say. Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe we don't WANT cable TV? Why would I waste a chunk of my paycheck on something that really has nothing to offer me? I've seen nothing but crap on TV for at least the past 20 years. What's shown on TV now is about as thought-provoking as the program 'Owww My Balls Hurt' in the movie Idiocracy. It's largely swill on TV these days. Oh, except the weather channel when they don't get too political. But then I can get the weather online.

I'd have to disagree with you about cars though. They ARE just transportation, and rather annoying forms of transportation at that. I'm looking forward to someone coming up with something that renders cars obsolete. Beam me up, Scotty. Or actually, let's go back to walking and horses. Horses have brains enough to 'drive safely.' They don't go around colliding with each other.
well a hipster would chastise someone for doing what you don't like doing. are you chastising the people in this forum for not thinking like you? that is the main annoyance of hipsters, that and they think their way of life is somehow superior. do you believe that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
well a hipster would chastise someone for doing what you don't like doing. are you chastising the people in this forum for not thinking like you? that is the main annoyance of hipsters, that and they think their way of life is somehow superior. do you believe that?
I realize that this question wasn't posed to me, but sometimes, yes. Most of us are capable of being condescending know-it-alls at some point or another. That said, I'm too old to be a hipster.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've had mayo sandwiches. But sometimes I couldn't afford mayo, and sometimes, I couldn't afford the bread. I'm fine with being poor though.
Not THAT poor, I see. You have computer and Internet access...

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
I've had mayo sandwiches. But sometimes I couldn't afford mayo, and sometimes, I couldn't afford the bread. I'm fine with being poor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not THAT poor, I see. You have computer and Internet access...
No Elnina...TKramar is probably on a free computer at the library! lol

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar

No Elnina...TKramar is probably on a free computer at the library! lol
With average of 20 posts day and night, and over 4000 posts in relationship forum alone? - I doubt it.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
With average of 20 posts day and night, and over 4000 posts in relationship forum alone? - I doubt it.
I was being sarcastic LOL

Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
No and no. What works for me, works for me. Everyone else's mileage may vary (so to speak).

Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just depends on your mindset, I guess. Personally, I find it comforting to seek ways to respect people, rather than to make long and complex lists of people that I don't respect and try to include everyone on the planet on at least one of my lists of people I try not to respect. I doubt if there is a single person in the world, that has so few redeeming qulaities, that I have no respect for him WHATSOEVER.

Somebody has to clean toilets, but that task, which nobody could possibly enjoy, must fall on people that you do not respect, since they cannot or refuse to find work they enjoy. We need your caste system of people to do things that nobody enjoys doing, and are therefore undeserving of your vaunted and grudgingly awarded respect. Personally, I reserve a special category of respect for the people who do the jobs that nobody enjoys doing, and which you are too haughty to disrepectably do.

If I systematically looked for reasons to withdraw my respect from as many complete strangers as possible, I certainly would not brag about it.
I don't have respect for people who are lazy, and for those who don't want to work to help others. If you don't like it, fine. It is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There is something you are missing here. Now I'm sure what you say applies to you personally and others, but it's certainly not universal. What bothers me about what you say here is that you assume you have to enjoy something to do well at it. Not true.

Here is another take on work: Work is sustenance. No more, no less. It’s something we do so we don’t starve to death. When I go to work, I am selling my time to my employer. I do not have to enjoy it to do a good job. I don’t look at my employment as anything other than me trading my time and effort for currency to sustain myself. It is not a social club. It is not a party. It is not a place for me to gloat. It’s not a place to provide ‘self worth’ to me. It's not a place for me to make a name for myself. It is not a competition. I’m there to do a job and I do it. Those hours I spend at work are not a part of ‘my’ life; those are the hours missing from my life. As far as my ‘real’ life is concerned, those hours don’t exist. I am simply a drone doing its assignment during working hours.

Now, before you go off on me about having a bad attitude with my work and that it will certainly affect my performance, I’ll just flat out tell you that you are wrong. Simple as that. Again, enjoying a task is not a prerequisite to doing the task well. With this ‘bad attitude,’ I have been nominated as employee of the year (or the equivalent in my field) six times and actually won this award one year (out of hundreds of candidates). The certificates are collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. I’ve had thousands of compliments over the years from my superiors and my co-workers. On the other hand, I’ve never been to a ‘company’ Christmas party, or stroking session, or any other ‘social aspect’ get together related to work. I’m simply not interested in that. I sell my time. That’s where it ends. No ‘enjoyment’ required. I do my job well when I'm there. Then I leave and resume my 'real' life.

I really don't see that I'm a leech because I don't whistle while I work. I'll just bet you that I do my job better than you would do that same job, even though you may enjoy the hell out of it. In fact, your attitude towards work could lead to a more 'leech-like' situation than my attitude. You have to enjoy your work to do your job. Otherwise your productivity falls off. I don't have to enjoy it; I simply do my best if someone is paying me to do it--enjoyed or not.
I am not saying you are wrong for treating your job as nothing more than a job. You are more than welcome to do that. You just won't earn my respect. I do not understand people who do the minimum to get by, and doing a job simply to earn money is the minimum. I don't understand people who do not take pride in their work. I enjoy my work because I do not want something I produce to be sub-par. I want to look back at a day's work and know I did a good job, and not know I just did what I need to do to get to the end of the day.

I don't care about compliments by co-workers, or nominations for employee of the year. I am not looking for external validation for what I do, unlike you.

I want what I do to help people, and I want the work I leave behind to make the lives of other people a little easier. I don't understand people who only do a job to get enough cash to go out and have fun at night. I despise that attitude.

If you disagree with me, then fine. I am not telling anyone what they should think. This is just my opinion.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't have respect for people who are lazy, and for those who don't want to work to help others. If you don't like it, fine. It is just my opinion.

I am not saying you are wrong for treating your job as nothing more than a job. You are more than welcome to do that. You just won't earn my respect. I do not understand people who do the minimum to get by, and doing a job simply to earn money is the minimum. I don't understand people who do not take pride in their work. I enjoy my work because I do not want something I produce to be sub-par. I want to look back at a day's work and know I did a good job, and not know I just did what I need to do to get to the end of the day.

I don't care about compliments by co-workers, or nominations for employee of the year. I am not looking for external validation for what I do, unlike you.

I want what I do to help people, and I want the work I leave behind to make the lives of other people a little easier. I don't understand people who only do a job to get enough cash to go out and have fun at night. I despise that attitude.

If you disagree with me, then fine. I am not telling anyone what they should think. This is just my opinion.
I think you misinterpreted just about every word ChrisC wrote.....

Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

But you missed my point. I didn't ask for any of that validation, and I couldn't care less whether I got it or not. I just do my job. I do my job the absolute best I can, just as you say you do. But, I do it the best I can because that's what I'm expected to do when I'm on someone else's time clock. You do it because you get personal satisfaction and pride from it. We both do the best we can at our jobs--just for different reasons. All I'm trying to convey to you is that it is possible to do a great job and go above and beyond the call of duty without being driven by the emotion of 'enjoyment.' You can't just say someone will do a lousy job because they don't enjoy their work. That certainly can be the case, but it doesn't have to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates