Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Then you may also want to give away all your American money, since it clearly states "In God We Trust" on all your green and coin. You would be a hypocrite of that statement if you insist on holding on to it.
Let me know where I can pick it up when you wash your hand of it.
Please do not insult me by assuming that I am motivated by the same illogical reasoning that you are. I accept or reject things on the basis of whether it is useful to me, not what kinds of inane comments happen to be printed on the things.

The fact is, I handle only about $20 a month in specie that bear any declarations of superstitious orthodoxy. All else is done with plastic, electronic transactions, checks, etc. And my reasoning for doing so has nothing whatsoever to do with the decorations on the devices, and I am mortified to think I might be though so shallows as to think otherwise. Quite honestly, I do not really care if God is mentioned on the central computer frame where my credit card transactions are processed. I don't think it says "In God We Trust" anywhere on my credit card, but as long as they keep giving me cash back and don't charge an annual fee, I don't really give a crap.

Yo might be interested to reflect on the fact that I once spent two weeks of my life buying things with money that had a picture of Idi Amin on it. That did not imply that I endorsed his political philosophy, and I've also spent money with Einstein's picture on it, and it was all pretty much the same. I don't mind using $20 bills at all, even though I think Andrew Jackson was the most reprehensible bastard ever to be elected to public office in this country.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2010 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Please do not insult me by assuming that I am motivated by the same illogical reasoning that you are. I accept or reject things on the basis of whether it is useful to me, not what kinds of inane comments happen to be printed on the things.

The fact is, I handle only about $20 a month in specie that bear any declarations of superstitious orthodoxy. All else is done with plastic, electronic transactions, checks, etc. And my reasoning for doing so has nothing whatsoever to do with the decorations on the devices, and I am mortified to think I might be though so shallows as to think otherwise. Quite honestly, I do not really care if God is mentioned on the central computer frame where my credit card transactions are processed. I don't think it says "In God We Trust" anywhere on my credit card, but as long as they keep giving me cash back and don't charge an annual fee, I don't really give a crap.
I didn't insult you and it wasn't my illogical reasoning it was yours. You are riding a fence my friend, one leg one either side based on your post. On the other hand you were right about people taking different interpretations here.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I didn't insult you and it wasn't my illogical reasoning it was yours. .
Oh, I'm sorry, I wonder what made me think it was YOU who said a person who doesn't want to acknowledge God should refuse to handle any useful pieces of paper with God's name on them, since doing so is tantamount to putting one's hand on his heart and declaring allegiance go God. In your mind, the two things seem to be equal, but I don't remember me having made such an illogical leap.

Let me ask you this. If the US mint removed the reference to God from the money, would you give me all of yours?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I wonder what made me think it was YOU who said a person who doesn't want to acknowledge God should refuse to handle any useful pieces of paper with God's name on them, since doing so is tantamount to putting one's hand on his heart and declaring allegiance go God. In your mind, the two things seem to be equal, but I don't remember me having made such an illogical leap.

Let me ask you this. If the US mint removed the reference to God from the money, would you give me all of yours?
LOL...you are funny! Of course not! I'm not cherry picking, you are! I LOVE MY MONEY and My COUNTRY and it's ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
LOL...you are funny! Of course not! I'm not cherry picking, you are! I LOVE MY MONEY and My COUNTRY and it's ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG

OK. I use other criteria to measure truth and value. Not just whether I love them or not. Which, in my experience, far too often just turns out to be a transient infatuation.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
OK. I use other criteria to measure truth and value. Not just whether I love them or not. Which, in my experience, far too often just turns out to be a transient infatuation.
Are you sure you don't just have a case of intransient flatulation?
LMAO that happens to people your age quite frequently. JUST KIDDING!
Good natured ribbing. Hit me

Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Any possibility of getting this back on topic?

Deef1, you still haven't replied to my post a couple of pages back.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Any possibility of getting this back on topic?

Deef1, you still haven't replied to my post a couple of pages back.
Hey there TheViking85, sorry...had to go cook and have a life, you know - Sorry, didn't know I didn't answer you. I frankly thought people were sick of what I had to say, so I rested on it.LOL

I think the only answer I missed was perhapsRE:Logic question. I have enough to allow for logic in all directions. This being a debate however allows for that or otherwise it would be pointless. My only contention is that things shouldn't have to be changed just because people don't want to participate. If they don't want to fine. Why should it have to be flipped and that I have to do on my own just because a small percentage Don't want to do it. The pledge of Allegiance it part of America and American History...I guess that doesn't belong in school either. Please.

We agree to disagree. That is the best way I can put it. I'm too tired right now to say it differently. LOL Sorry. That's what makes America America...we can have different view points and yet be free.

Good to connect with you though!...Gotta go serve that dinner now.

Last edited by Deef1; 04-25-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:42 PM

220 posts, read 222,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Yes, we should have them say it. If children don't know what the United States stands for...liberty and justice for all...they have no information on which to base the choice you hold in such high esteem.
reciting something over and over and over again will NOT teach kids the meaning of it. It's too repetitious. Once something is repetitious, people tune out.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM

I think some people here need to take into account the powerful negative social effects of being labeled "unpatriotic". And the inclination of so many people to define "patriotic" as "flag waving" and ignore any and all other demonstrations of patriotism.

America is not perfect, and even the Preamble to the Constitution exhorts us to "form a more perfect union". The true patriot thinks first of making America a more perfect union, with the flag to be waved afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates