Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet they never did. But kids are highly susceptible to peer pressure, and they were probably told that they "had to" do it. Very few kids have the self-confidence to think through their behavior and do what runs against the grain of all the rest of the class. And people who create these kinds of rituals know that, and use it skillfully to reinforce conformity.
What you read as coerced conformity, I read as a challenge to responsibility. It's absolutely astonishing to me that we could get such different impressions from the same twenty-three words.

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-24-2010 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
What you read as coerced conformity, I read as a challenge to responsibility. It's absolutely astonishing to me that we could get such different impressions from the same twenty-three words.

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
If the fact that two people can interpret something differently "astonishes" you, you're in the wrong forum. And that fact that I astonish you does not by itself make me wrong. You left out "under God". I refuse to be "coerced" to put my hand on my heart and acknowledge your God. Or anybody else's.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
If the fact that two people can interpret something differently "astonishes" you, you're in the wrong forum. And that fact that I astonish you does not by itself make me wrong. You left out "under God". I refuse to be "coerced" to put my hand on my heart and acknowledge your God. Or anybody else's.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

As to the phrase "under God," I was quoting the original 1892 Bellamy pledge. I didn't leave anything out.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth.

Tell me what words I put in your mouth, and I'll retract them.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:

I see no need to pledge allegiance to any group that doesn't act in my best interests.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Tell me what words I put in your mouth, and I'll retract them.
It was never said that you were wrong, simply that he/she found it astonishing that you could get something so different from it.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
When I was in school (early 90s to early 2000s) I never felt comfortable "pledging" to the flag. So, I quietly stood there, and didn't say it. I wasn't ever told I had to--nor was I ever harassed for not saying it. Pretty much a non-issue.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
The words make be wonder if he feels the freedom and justice for all?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
So today I was in a conversation with my girlfriend about when we were in school we would say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning from 6 years old to 18.

I remembered that we wouldnt question saying the pledge nor would it feel any different than the normal routine of eating breakfast or taking a shower. It was just so repetitious!

And after talking about it, looking back from my viewpoint now as an older and a little wiser adult, see that what we were doing all those years from childhood to young adults really looked like we were being BRAINWASHED. And I say that from the idea that if we were to look at say Russia, or Iran, or Cuba doing this we would certainly say something like, "Wow, they really brainwash them early on to devote themselves to their cause."

Then I got to thinking further that as the free society that we are do we really need to do this? I mean I love my country, and Im pretty sure that so far id rather be here than in the Congo, or South America. Shouldnt we teach our children and people to love their country and pledge allegiance to it by their on free will instead of telling them and forcing them to do so?!?!

I dont know if im right about this, but looking back at it all I just get this creepy feeling about it.

So here is the debate, albeit not necessarily a great one: Should we be forcing school children to say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning or let them make up their own minds?
Don't be dumb. No offense but, that is a very simplistic and naive worldview. You're assuming that the world wants to hold hands and sing "We Are the World." That would be nice and all but the reality is that men (nations) want to dominate! They want to steal your gold, your money, your power, your energy, your land, whatever you have and keep it for themselves and their own. So in man's struggle for preeminence, I say the USA's pledge of allegiance, falls right in line.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,277 times
Quote:
Then you may also want to give away all your American money, since it clearly states "In God We Trust" on all your green and coin. You would be a hypocrite of that statement if you insist on holding on to it.
Let me know where I can pick it up when you wash your hand of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates