Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,297 times

Advertisements

This was a duplex home, with an apartment upstairs and one downstairs, not interconnected. The police had a search warrant for the downstairs apt., the suspect was hiding in the upstairs apt. The police raided the downstairs apt, which is where the little girl was killed. There was no reason for them to even be there. They completely bungled this, and an innocent child was killed because of the ineptitude of the Detroit Police Dept.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I believe I just heard on CNN that the "alleged" murderer was in the upstairs apartment, not in their apartment. My heart breaks for the family, what a tragedy.
Does anyone have the address for this apartment? I've never been to detroit, but in the poorer, multifamily areas around here, 257 west st may have 4 units, and ONE address. Who's at fault then?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Well apparently the A&E show "The First 48" was filming the raid. According to the families Attorney a shot was fired from the porch of the home before entering. Apparently he has a copy of the tape. What a horrible tragedy. The race baiting discussion occurring around this incident is disgusting. I sure hope the P.D.'s strike team was not playing to the cameras. It will be interesting to see if the investigators conducted any intelligence surveillance on the dwellings for before executing the warrant. According to some of my family LEO's this sounds like a bad rushed warrant execution.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Here it comes, the "why does it matter what race they were" card players, and the anti-gun groupies will be here any moment.

Caretaker of that child was harboring a fugitive, then fought with an officer, the death of that child is HER fault, nobody elses.
Gotta go with ya on this one. Hiding a scumbag, then scuffling with a cop & trying to protect said scumbag. Not to bright. Since the situation warranted the cop having his gun out it is safe to think the perp was a choice kinda 'citizen' and if they were protecting the creep that does not speak well of the environment the child was in to begin with.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Gotta go with ya on this one. Hiding a scumbag, then scuffling with a cop & trying to protect said scumbag. Not to bright. Since the situation warranted the cop having his gun out it is safe to think the perp was a choice kinda 'citizen' and if they were protecting the creep that does not speak well of the environment the child was in to begin with.
from what I've read, I didn't get any impression they were hiding anyone. the police got the wrong apartment. the girl's parents may not have even known who was upstairs or that a neighbor was wanted for a crime. also, I read at least one report that the woman didn't scuffle w/ the cops. I'll have to track it down, but it sounded like the cop may have accidentally run into the woman when storming the house. again, facts are still fuzzy at the moment

and I know it's hard for some folks here, but can we PLEASE keep race out of this. seriously, the poor girl has barely been dead 48 hours and conspiracy theories are already being thrown out. the name or race of the cop who fired the shot hasn't been released yet, likely to keep people from rioting in case the guy was white. black or white, he (or she) made a massive, grotesque mistake and should probably be charged if the facts merit it, but I highly doubt this was a race motivated crime. let's not cry "racism" and "hate crime" yet. ETA: there should be anger at what happened, regardless of the race of the cop who fired the shot, but I have a sad feeling that if the cop is white, the anger would increase tenfold vs. if the cop was black, as if the race of the shooter in this case could make it worse

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You may want to check your facts. There was no scuffle, there was no fugitive being hidden in this apt. They threw in an incendiary grenade and went in shooting. The fugitive was in another apartment in the same building. Everything would have been just fine except the police got the wrong apartment. They did eventually get the suspect, and then apparently went back to court after the fact to get the correct warrant. Lots of screw-ups here cost a little girl her life.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
One report said that they saw relatives of the slain girl going in and out of both apartments. Personally, I say judgment should be reserved until the facts come out. Obviously there were a lot of cameras on the scene, but not likely in the house at the time of the raid. Also, I am sure that it can be determined if the child was shot from outside the home or from within the home by angles. Feigler, the attorney (of Jack Kevorkian –doctor death-infamy) said that shots were fired into the house before they even went inside.

I will say this. There is new leadership in the Detroit police department and they are really attempting to crack down on crime. That nearly always leads to overzealous policing and too aggressive tactics. The “Gang Squad” is seen as a bunch of thugs with badges. They are hyper-aggressive and the community has already filed many complaints against that unit. Detroit police department, in 2010, is a black dominated force in a city that is 90% black. I doubt very seriously that if the officer was white that the community would blame it on racism, because the city of Detroit....as black as it is.....would weed out racist cops. Its only when a police force is dominated by people who are not black, like in Miami and LA, that riots erupt. In those places the black community generally sees the police as an occupation force of people who don't respect them. Hence, when one of them shoots an unarmed innocent black person.....it can potentially be conbustable. I NEVER forsee a race riot in Detroit because its a black run and dominated city.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-18-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One report said that they saw relatives of the slain girl going in and out of both apartments. Personally, I say judgment should be reserved until the facts come out. Obviously there were a lot of cameras on the scene, but not likely in the house at the time of the raid. Also, I am sure that it can be determined if the child was shot from outside the home or from within the home by angles. Feigler, the attorney (of Jack Kevorkian –doctor death-infamy) said that shots were fired into the house before they even went inside.

I will say this. There is new leadership in the Detroit police department and they are really attempting to crack down on crime. That nearly always leads to overzealous policing and too aggressive tactics. The “Gang Squad” is seen as a bunch of thugs with badges. They are hyper-aggressive and the community has already filed many complaints against that unit.
Well, if the underclass blacks didn't act this way, maybe the police wouldn't have to be so aggressive.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Well, if the underclass blacks didn't act this way, maybe the police wouldn't have to be so aggressive.
Yes...and maybe if America showed more respect to blacks......there would not be such a large underclass black population that would need aggresive police tactics to constrain.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes...and maybe if America showed more respect to blacks......there would not be such a large underclass black population that would need aggresive police tactics to constrain.
I hope that includes Blacks showing more respect for themselves. In the end that will make the only difference. Aside from your racial remark this is a huge mistake and tragedy. The only thing that counts is that a little innocent girl lost her life because of the events triggered by some scumbag puke not worthy of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates