Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,235,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
No, they cost too much money. Plus, drug tests altogether are a disgusting invasion of privacy.

Please, take my bodily fluids and analyze them for your own hypocritical pro-alcohol anti-marijuana fetish.
If you aren't drawing welfare, you'd have nothing to worry about.

This thread was about people drawing welfare.

I wonder why the topic of welfare recipients being tested hit a nerve with you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,235,343 times
Everything given free from the govt ( welfare) should have " strings" attatched !

Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 13,727,783 times
Maybe the Federal government should read our mail, after all they are subsidizing the cost of those letters in the mail box. Just as sure as they are subsidizing living expenses for the poor who can't afford the actual cost of living... or did you really think it cost only $.44 to tell grandma happy birthday by a hand carried personal note 3000 miles?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Maybe the Federal government should read our mail, after all they are subsidizing the cost of those letters in the mail box. Just as sure as they are subsidizing living expenses for the poor who can't afford the actual cost of living... or did you really think it cost only $.44 to tell grandma happy birthday by a hand carried personal note 3000 miles?
Do you really think it costs only about 25c to till, plant, weed, fertilize, grow, harvest, process, warehouse, ship, wholesale, shelve, ring up and bag a potato from Idaho to your shopping bag?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,860,204 times
Let's get back on topic, please, which is whether recipients of public assistance should be required to undergo drug tests.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 13,727,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you really think it costs only about 25c to till, plant, weed, fertilize, grow, harvest, process, warehouse, ship, wholesale, shelve, ring up and bag a potato from Idaho to your shopping bag?
should the federal government be drug testing potato farmers as well as welfare recipients? over 3,000 farmers 140 million in loses. how much of those loses are subsidized tax dollars. federal dollars are passed out every where, should we drug test everyone who get a handout from the federal government. what criteria do we used to drug test people who get money from the federal government?

Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,796,926 times
Not all welfare recipients are drug users or addicts; so, THEY have every right to protest my requirement for mandatory testing. However, if there is a reasonable suspicion of drug use by a welfare recipient, then I would have every right to require him to get tested. If he fails the drug test, he gets a probation to clean himself up. He's limited to three chances.

I'm not familiar with the welfare process, but I think what was just described above is how it works now, except he gets unlimited chances.

Testing based on individual cases makes me very dependent on the judgement of the welfare case worker. Therefore, he/she must be very well-trained, not overloaded with work, and his/her judgement strongly backed up by agency administrative officers.

This is my very inexpert opinion.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,088,912 times
I don't see a problem with drug testing those on public assistance, but, it should be just as many employers do it, random testing.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 PM

677 posts, read 1,623,340 times
I think that would be completely unnecessary. What's the point? So that the government can continue to force the morals of the few onto the majority?

I think that something should be done to limit the amount of money given to people on welfare. I'm not an economist and I don't know anything regarding statistics, but I have seen plenty of people who abuse the system. It's disgusting. It would be great if there was a way to prevent that, but I'm not sure what exactly that would entail.

I do know that drug testing is NOT the answer. The government telling a person what they can/can't do to their own body is a ridiculous concept to begin with. Oh hey, I'm going to make these PLANTS illegal. But you can still go get smashed on the weekends and get into car crashes, be a rape victim, and kill yourself from ingesting too much alcohol. Lolz. Let's ignore the fact that a lot of illegal drugs could be used to treat medical conditions, stimulate the economy and allow every adult the freedom of choice that was given to us in the constitution.

If they try to drug test welfare recepients I'm not sure what the outcome would be. Maybe some people would stop using drugs. Maybe they wouldn't and would resort to living on the streets. Maybe they would riot. But I see no possible way that enforcing something like this could have positive results.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:35 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,860,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Should public assistance be cut off or disallowed to any person who fails a mandatory drug test?
Public assistance comes in many forms, so you'd need to be a lot more specific with this concept. Some assistance (e.g., Medicaid, food stamps) is provided for minor children, but given to the adult in the family to administer. If the adult fails a drug test, do you plan to take the assistance away from the child who is the actual recipient?

Likewise, suppose a teenage recipient fails a drug test, would you eliminate assistance that benefits the entire family (Section 8, for example)?

Your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates