Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:32 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,745,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you are in Ohio, a golf cart can be modifed by adding safety equipment to meet state law. A NEV will qualify automatically. The ruuels are you need to have the vehicle inspected by the responsible agency in your community and they complete an inspection sayigthe vehicle meets all requirments and its alright to register. You can check out Ohio Revised Code 4503.10 for details.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,745,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I have a NEV. It's called a GEMcar. I ran errands with it all the time when I lived in Seal Beach, California. So much easier than firing up the big car. Parks in small spaces, no doors so getting in & out is quick. Plugs into 110 in the garage to recharge. Little to no maintenance required. Different states have different laws for them. Check with your dept of motor vehicles.
I've been looking at NEV's. I like the Gem and also the Ford Th!nk look nice. I wish I lived in California right now. There are tons for sale in that state.

I'm glad to hear that you like your Gem. I may join the family soon.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
California is definitely the right place to look at electric vehicles - from golf carts to SUVs. You can actually get EVs there, that the rest of us in the USA cannot... Like the Rav 4 EV and the Honda Fit EV.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
I see them everywhere since I live in Sun City. They get the best parking places.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
My son has one, but I can't recall the brand/model. It seats 4, has all the stuff required to drive it on the street, and (iirc) will do 35 mph or so. He lives on the golf course (in more ways than one), but drives the cart on the street to the clubhouse. Only problem is, the golf course that he uses/lives on only allows their own carts to be used on the course, so he has to park his fancy golf cart and rent one from the club house.

And he's currently the president of the golf club! You'd think he'd get that rule changed.

Edit: It's a GEM that my son has.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 05-25-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 14,997 times
No...I have no idea about it.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:10 AM

769 posts, read 719,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My son has one, but I can't recall the brand/model. It seats 4, has all the stuff required to drive it on the street, and (iirc) will do 35 mph or so. He lives on the golf course (in more ways than one), but drives the cart on the street to the clubhouse. Only problem is, the golf course that he uses/lives on only allows their own carts to be used on the course, so he has to park his fancy golf cart and rent one from the club house.

And he's currently the president of the golf club! You'd think he'd get that rule changed.

Edit: It's a GEM that my son has.
I suppose using his own golf cart on the course has some insurance challenges.

The GEM is/was made to go a top speed of 35 mph. But in some states, like California, they restrict the top speed to 25 mph. I'm not sure who is making the GEM now, but when I bought mine in 2005, I went on line &.chose all the extras & accessories I wanted, all for extra $$. There were only certain Chrysler dealers who handled them. I went to the one closest to my home at the time & had them order it. I've never regretted it.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 AM

850 posts, read 1,027,567 times
I got your ~60 MPH street legal golf cart right here...

Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Depends where you live as to whether golf carts are legal or not,in HOA developments they seem to be popular or isolated communities like Okracoke they are very popular but due to their extremely low speed mixing with regular traffic can pose problems.We had a company up here in Quebec that manufactured a line of electric vehicles but with a top speed of 30mph it just never got certified as street legal and the company eventually folded, the company had a good idea, golf carts with 4 season full weather protection.
Zenn to cease electric car production - Montreal - CBC News

Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
Laws vary widely firm state to state. In SC on can drive a golf cart on non-state roads. They can cross a state road but not travel on it. The driver must be 16 and possess a SC drivers license. Some towns have bans on them unless they are street ready (lights, horn, seat belts, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living