Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
At this point, purchase of a solar unit for your home is not practical based on costs, return.
I don't understand why people keep making daft comments like this, when so many thousands of consumers are finding the opposite to be the case. Among people I know who have solar energy installations, the payback time ranges between 6 - 12 years, for systems with an expected life of 30 years or more, and the return on investment is quite satisfactory to them. If you have the money to invest, purchasing is a far better deal than leasing. After all, leasing companies are making a profit on their deals. That comes out of your share.

Quote:
You get a much bigger return on your bucks with radiant barrier, replacement windows, extra insulation, etc.
If your house doesn't have those things, sure, conservation is always the best starting place, and has a good return. But if you already have an energy efficient home, then solar power may well be the next big opportunity for you. It all depends on how the numbers crunch for your specific situation. There is no such thing as a blanket rule that covers everything. It's all in the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,153,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Apparently that 1% is enough to start sending jitters down the backs of power company executives though... And states are starting to allow the power company to charge for connecting PV arrays to the grid. (I agree with that BTW, I don't mind paying for what I use, as long as it is reasonable) If this wasn't a big deal, it wouldn't be a big deal in the legislatures of many states right now.
That's because solar is producing electricity at the same time as peak price. Selling energy during the afternoon of summer heat waves is where they earn their bread and butter. Solar energy generation dampens the price spike at these times.

To them, its the equivalent of a fly that only buzzes when they are at bat with the bases loaded.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,020,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have a two car garage I want to heat. The house is on a quarter of an acre lot in a typical suburban neighborhood. What is a practical renewable approach to do it? I read how cheap and widespread renewables have become but when it comes to actually help an individual homeowner it falls short.
I'd look at solar thermal with hydronic slab heat. Why heat a garage in DC? It doesn't get that cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living