Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,863,292 times

Advertisements

The solar industry in the United States had a fabulous second quarter of 2014 in terms of new installations in the residential, non-residential and utility sectors. Solar is rapidly approaching the capacity of mainstream energy production!

Here's the link to the article:

Is Solar PV Finally Mainstream? - EcoBuilding Pulse

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Solar is rapidly approaching the capacity of mainstream energy
Sorry, I'm a huge supporter of solar energy, and cheer every advance, but this statement is severely mistaken.

According to the EIA, solar energy still constitutes less than 1% of the US total power generation.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,750 posts, read 81,674,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, I'm a huge supporter of solar energy, and cheer every advance, but this statement is severely mistaken.

According to the EIA, solar energy still constitutes less than 1% of the US total power generation.

It's also still heavily subsidized by the government, without that it would fizzle out completely except for off the grid like the back woods of Alaska.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's also still heavily subsidized by the government, without that it would fizzle out completely except for off the grid like the back woods of Alaska.
Well, I don't think this is accurate any longer, either... the fizzle out part, I mean. Although it is still a small percentage of the total, it is now growing rapidly all over the country, and I think the momentum will continue to build as the technology gets cheaper and cheaper. You can now regularly find PV panels for sale for $1 a watt or less. People who are concerned about the state of our environment are highly motivated to reduce their dependence on fossil fuels for energy, and the lower costs for solar systems have made it more and more practical to do so.

On the Big Island of Hawai'i, where until a few years ago 100% of the fuel had to be shipped at least 2,500 miles, the electric utility is approaching 50% of its power coming from renewable sources, including a large portion from rooftop solar. In Texas, Austin Energy just signed a 25 year contract to purchase solar powered electicity from a bidder at under 5 cents per kWh, and later the City Council declared solar energy to be the default preferred source for all electricity purchased by the city. In the California desert the largest solar energy plant in the world just came on line.

In places where it is practical to put solar energy equipment, people are realizing that harvesting free, renewable energy that comes from the sky, and doesn't pollute the air and water is a smart investment in a better world.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,763,929 times
I like my wind energy just fine, at this point I have no issue paying for a reduced alternative energy. If I choose to go alone off the grid I would purchase solar.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,548,762 times
Apparently that 1% is enough to start sending jitters down the backs of power company executives though... And states are starting to allow the power company to charge for connecting PV arrays to the grid. (I agree with that BTW, I don't mind paying for what I use, as long as it is reasonable) If this wasn't a big deal, it wouldn't be a big deal in the legislatures of many states right now.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Apparently that 1% is enough to start sending jitters down the backs of power company executives though... And states are starting to allow the power company to charge for connecting PV arrays to the grid. (I agree with that BTW, I don't mind paying for what I use, as long as it is reasonable) If this wasn't a big deal, it wouldn't be a big deal in the legislatures of many states right now.
And if it wasn't such a big deal, you wouldn't have states like Florida holding the whole state back... in an area where solar power can be particularly effective!.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,020,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Silly number. The installed base of the industry is huge and takes years to turn over. The important measure is new installations. About 50% of those are from renewable resource.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,349,180 times
I have a two car garage I want to heat. The house is on a quarter of an acre lot in a typical suburban neighborhood. What is a practical renewable approach to do it? I read how cheap and widespread renewables have become but when it comes to actually help an individual homeowner it falls short.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,469,089 times
The bulk of new solar comes from lease operations. You as the consumer get locked into a 20 year lease, the company, not the consumer, gets the solar credit, and the company also gets a solar subsidy, as well as other IRS deductions.

At this point, purchase of a solar unit for your home is not practical based on costs, return. You get a much bigger return on your bucks with radiant barrier, replacement windows, extra insulation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living