Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

I have a sidewalk outside of my house that needs to be demolished. How would you suggest I do it without using anything that created environmental damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The days of cheap oil are over, you know. Shale fracking is just a temporary boom but it's got a lot of people thinking greed and waste is OK again. Many people have the attention spans and scientific acumen of rodents.
This is laughable considering the current price drop on the market is caused by OPEC with the intention of putting the frackers out of business.

Quote:
http://ostseis.anl.gov/guide/oilshale/

While oil shale is found in many places worldwide, by far the largest deposits in the world are found in the United States in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable; however, even a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, the estimated 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from the Green River Formation would last for more than 400 years1.

More than 70% of the total oil shale acreage in the Green River Formation, including the richest and thickest oil shale deposits, is under federally owned and managed lands. Thus, the federal government directly controls access to the most commercially attractive portions of the oil shale resource base.
Note the source... ANL = Argonne National Laboratories

Old 12-04-2014, 05:35 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Manufacturing requires a constant supply of reliable ENERGY, in some form of another. What do you propose as a energy resource that will provide a constant supply of energy at 60hz. Particularly for those high demand industry such as steel production?
Perhaps a combination of different types of clean energy working together? Here is an energy option that has my interest. It is algea as energy. Why Algae?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-04-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
As long as GOP Creationist nature-haters are in power, the EPA will be under constant siege and its benefits will be taken for granted as free market magic. They ignore why the EPA was needed to begin with; industry did little to clean up its messes and the same people are still resisting.

Many GOPer types are still removing or altering catalytic converters, not realizing that modern engines are designed for increased back-pressure. All they care about is power and noise. I think the dumb hicks who "roll coal" should have their trucks seized.

But a core issue is economic growthism, which is predicated on continual pollution and destruction of nature as its very basis. More people consuming more stuff, made by more people, and so on. It has no long-term logic. Man is the only species that constantly degrades and depletes its life support system and gloats over the money being made.

I agree we buy too much stuff. Americans may be the only ones that have expensive cars sitting outside their houses in order to store a bunch of unwanted junk in the garage. This is the time of year when everyone feels pressured to buy something for everyone else. And in a few months many of those things will end up in the garage or storage shed, or thrown away. I hope at least that stuff is recyclable or biodegradeable.

Maybe we should concentrate on being a service oriented economy and not a manufacturing economy? Here in Florida for instance keeping our beaches and cities clean to attract tourists you would think would be a wise decision.

I do not know how I feel about the gambling though. I do know Disney will never allow it in Orlando, but they have it in other Florida cities. It does bring crime while boosting the economy not to mention gambling addiction can ruin lives. Maybe we should help people hide their money like the Swiss ? I bet they have a pretty strong economy lol Some countries are also offering quality discount medical care.

There is something called product stewardship or product take back, which means that when you buy a product you are also paying for its proper disposal as well. I think it is a good idea if it is done properly

Product stewardship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-04-2014 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have a sidewalk outside of my house that needs to be demolished. How would you suggest I do it without using anything that created environmental damage?
Here are some suggestions. How to Dispose of Old Concrete. I wonder if it can be buried in backyards that are uneven to make the ground more level or is that a bad idea?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Why do those in power like politicians think that the USA cannot have a sucessful economy without polluting the earth? Isn't it possible to live in harmony with nature and still have a strong healthy economy? Can't we get rid of polluting industries or improve them and still remain financially strong as a society?
yo do know that all life does it right? Average IQ isnt that high. We are literaly the smartest ape ever.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Here are some suggestions.
I'm asking you how I'm going to demolish it without creating environmental damage, disposing of it is the least of the issues. This is one simple task and you seem to think we can somehow accomplish this without environmental damage, I'm asking you how you do it.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
And how do we have a strong economy when you put all of those people out of work?
Maybe they can be trained into another type of job?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm asking you how I'm going to demolish it without creating environmental damage, disposing of it is the least of the issues. This is one simple task and you seem to think we can somehow accomplish this without environmental damage, I'm asking you how you do it.
Well I would start by making a list of the type of environmental damage the process of demolishing it would cause and find ways to mitigate it . I personally prefer simple fixes to problems whenever possible so I would try those first.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Well I would start by making a list of the type of environmental damage the process of demolishing it would cause and find ways to mitigate it .
Such as what, you going to use a sledge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living