Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yo do know that all life does it right? Average IQ isnt that high. We are literaly the smartest ape ever.

Are you saying all life can live in harmony with nature? I agree all life it seems except humans. At least not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Such as what, you going to use a sledge?
Who me? No! lol but maybe I could recruit some strong young men who want to get some anger out and a good workout. It might actually be fun.

Would you believe they have how to videos about it on youtube?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-05-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 11:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Who me? No! lol but maybe I could recruit some strong young men who want to get some anger out and a good workout. It might actually be fun.
Ok, setting aside the fact we're now using technology that was the norm 100 years ago where do you get the steel for the sledge? Are you going out in the woods and cut the handle yourself? Still need saw even if it's a hand saw, the small steel tools to shape your handle? Where is the steel for those products coming from. What about the energy required to forge them?

A lot of calories involved with that kind of work, where is the extra food coming from?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The least damaging way to handle the cracked concrete walk problem is simply leave it in place and avoid stepping on the cracks.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, setting aside the fact we're now using technology that was the norm 100 years ago where do you get the steel for the sledge? Are you going out in the woods and cut the handle yourself? Still need saw even if it's a hand saw, the small steel tools to shape your handle? Where is the steel for those products coming from. What about the energy required to forge them?

A lot of calories involved with that kind of work, where is the extra food coming from?
The steel can be from recycled metal the food is organic. I just wondered something isn't there a way to repair the sidewalk and not replace it? Maybe you could try that first?

Old 12-06-2014, 06:04 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
I love how the proponents of the fossil fuel industry in this thread say we need more energy than solar or wind can provide. To sustain what? The pollution infested, throw away industrial society we've created for ourselves?

Except for maybe the energy and products needed by the medical industry, there is nothing humans can't provide themselves now for their survival, they couldn't provide themselves before the use of gas and coal. And the addition of solar and wind will only make that easier. So imagine colonial times but just add solar and wind power to the mix. We might still have to heat our homes with wood for awhile, for instance, but we would get around in electric vehicles, whether cars or bikes, powered by solar and wind. (And remember an electric bike is comparable to a horse in colonial times so we know it's a livable mode of transportation.) That would take a huge chunk out of civilization's carbon footprint. Compare that to today where we both simultaneously heat our homes with fossil fuel AND drive around on fossil fuels.

All the gas and coal industry adds is mostly the ability to over produce more than we need. To go faster than we need and to produce more waste and pollution than we should be.

I want to add though that I would allow the use of gas as a supplemental emergency and "special case" fuel. In other words, for medical reasons, scientific, official governmental business, emergency road mantainence, vital overseas travel, some refrigeration, etc...not for local BS.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 12-06-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Ok, setting aside the fact we're now using technology that was the norm 100 years ago...
A fact also attributable to the use of coal and gas you conveinently avoid mentioning in your defense of those technologies..but, yea, let's set that aside for now...lol.

Hi.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 12-06-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The least damaging way to handle the cracked concrete walk problem is simply leave it in place and avoid stepping on the cracks.

I agree leave it alone if it isnt too badly damaged it may add some character to the neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I love how the proponents of the fossil fuel industry in this thread say we need more energy than solar or wind can provide. To sustain what? The pollution infested, throw away industrial society we've created for ourselves?

Except for maybe the energy and products needed by the medical industry, there is nothing humans can't provide themselves now for their survival, they couldn't provide themselves before the use of gas and coal. And the addition of solar and wind will only make that easier. So imagine colonial times but just add solar and wind power to the mix. We might still have to heat our homes with wood for awhile, for instance, but we would get around in electric vehicles, whether cars or bikes, powered by solar and wind. (And remember an electric bike is comparable to a horse in colonial times so we know it's a livable mode of transportation.) That would take a huge chunk out of civilization's carbon footprint. Compare that to today where we both simultaneously heat our homes with fossil fuel AND drive around on fossil fuels.

All the gas and coal industry adds is mostly the ability to over produce more than we need. To go faster than we need and to produce more waste and pollution than we should be.

I want to add though that I would allow the use of gas as a supplemental emergency and "special case" fuel. In other words, for medical reasons, scientific, official governmental business, emergency road mantainence, vital overseas travel, some refrigeration, etc...not for local BS.

Yes as a mentioned in a previous post we do buy too much . I guess it's hard to give back a certain lifestyle once you get used to it but I wish we all would rethink they way we live and what we really need . We have too much stuff and our lives could be simpler.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The steel can be from recycled metal
How does the recycled material get to the recycling facility? Energy to sort it? Where is the fule coming from to forge it into a sledge.

Quote:
the food is organic.
This would require much more energy and land to make food. If you have everyone using sledges to bust up concrete around the county you're going to need a LOT of food.

Quote:
I just wondered something isn't there a way to repair the sidewalk and not replace it?
Irrelevant to the point I'm making and repairing broken sidewalks is a time and money wasting band aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living