Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My water and gas meters both transmit radio signals. My house was built in 1929.
You are the exception. They are not widely deployed across the country at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I really didnt know about any smart water meters, I guess they have the most advanced technology in DC?
Well DCforever does, anyway.

Quote:
I agree I gave away my microwave to my neighbor. The food tastes lousy from it anyway.
That totally depends on what you do with it. Everybody loves what I cook in mine.

Quote:
What can you do to protect yourself from radiation?
Get the thickest roll of heavy duty aluminum foil you can find, and wrap your head in it, twisting it to a point on the top like a Hershey's Kiss. At least that's what the people seem to do who are pushing all this nonsense about a danger from the radiation given off by smart meters.

Here's something they don't consider... first the amount of radiation they generate is tiny... less than a cell phone. Second, it is intermittent, and on in extremely short bursts. And third, it all follows the Inverse Square rule, which means that every time you double (2X) the distance from the source, you reduce the intensity 4X (2X2= 4X). Since the meter is outside, and at some remove from where you are, the tiny amount of energy released at the meter is further reduced by the distance and absorption by intervening materials to where you are.

It's basically unmeasurable in the house except with extremely sensitive equipment, and as the authorities have repeatedly said, it poses no health hazards whatsoever. Alarms being raised are being raised by people and orgs with no credibility whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
We have transmitting water and gas meters in Wooster. My water meter transmits twice a day to a solar powered receiver at the sewage plant, which in turn transmits to City Hall. There are a number of receivers throughout the city, since the transmission is basically line-of-sight.

Most of the transmitting units are mounted inside the houses. Mine is mounted outside because my aluminum-faced insulation and aluminum siding block the signal. We have had this technology for quite a few years, and are now replacing the original transmitting units. The new units transmit once an hour. As far as I know, manual reading is not an option. And who would read it, anyway? Those people were reassigned to other responsibilities at least a decade ago.

I do not have natural gas, but I know the gas meters are being updated to accommodate drive-by readings.

My electric company, on the other hand, is a co-op. I have to read my own meter once a month.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
It's AMR not a smart meter. It's pretty common.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
AMR just means it transmits a signal indicating the reading on the meter, whether it is to a passing utility vehicle equipped with a laptop and antenna, a meter reader walking the neighborhood with an ipad or similar device, or a fixed antenna somewhere around the city. This is completely different from a smart meter, although the two technologies can be implemented together. A smart meter might not actually transmit any RF, which as far as I'm concerned invalidates all the claims from the tinfoil hat crowd.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
AMR just means it transmits a signal indicating the reading on the meter, whether it is to a passing utility vehicle equipped with a laptop and antenna, a meter reader walking the neighborhood with an ipad or similar device, or a fixed antenna somewhere around the city. This is completely different from a smart meter, although the two technologies can be implemented together. A smart meter might not actually transmit any RF, which as far as I'm concerned invalidates all the claims from the tinfoil hat crowd.
The question was how many water and gas meters transmit their reading using radio signals. That is AMR. It's not the only AMR technology, but common for water and gas AMR.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They are used in Seattle for all of the commercial districts, not so much in residential. Most areas that get a lot of freezing winter weather will have the meter in the basement or inside the house and have the AMR transmitting meter so they don't have to go into the house to read it. For your own water meter you can tell if the meter has a wire coming out of it just under or next to the dial, attached to a small device that looks something like this:

Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You are the exception. They are not widely deployed across the country at this time.

Well DCforever does, anyway.

That totally depends on what you do with it. Everybody loves what I cook in mine.

Get the thickest roll of heavy duty aluminum foil you can find, and wrap your head in it, twisting it to a point on the top like a Hershey's Kiss. At least that's what the people seem to do who are pushing all this nonsense about a danger from the radiation given off by smart meters.

Here's something they don't consider... first the amount of radiation they generate is tiny... less than a cell phone. Second, it is intermittent, and on in extremely short bursts. And third, it all follows the Inverse Square rule, which means that every time you double (2X) the distance from the source, you reduce the intensity 4X (2X2= 4X). Since the meter is outside, and at some remove from where you are, the tiny amount of energy released at the meter is further reduced by the distance and absorption by intervening materials to where you are.

It's basically unmeasurable in the house except with extremely sensitive equipment, and as the authorities have repeatedly said, it poses no health hazards whatsoever. Alarms being raised are being raised by people and orgs with no credibility whatsoever.

That is just it though some of these people are claiming they have measured the radiation from them and it was very high. That is what scared me.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Almost every thing we have that uses electricity radiates something. The word radiation is used as a scare tactic. If you don't see a third eye growing I wouldn't worry about the smart meter.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
That is just it though some of these people are claiming they have measured the radiation from them and it was very high. That is what scared me.
It's a radio like your cell phone. Go back to sleep.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:44 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Raytheon and the Defense Department have built a "non-lethal", directed-energy "heat ray" to cook prisoners and rioters:

Active Denial System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT9-Z_p84b0

(Just for fun)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living