Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
then why does she need a car to get to work?
Because she wants to drive rather than walk.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And she doesn't walk?!
Nope, she sure doesn't.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Self righteous eco-chic's (as I call them) can be condescending and/or hypocritical.

But I'm curious how you're concluding it's a "significant percentage" or "so many?" Wouldn't you have to know how many legitimate "greenies" there are in comparisons to eco-chic's?
You'll note that I did say "it seems to me that..." before mentioning a significant percentage of greenies.

So let me be clear about it being anecdotal. It is MY observation, based on greenies that I know, that I'm related to, that I'm friends with, and that I watch.

The majority of them that I know are complete hypocrites.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Few if anyone ever condemns people from buying a truck when they need a truck. I condemn the manufacturers for not offering a small fuel efficient truck for someone like myself. Back many years ago I had a small Isuzu diesel. It would haul what I needed to haul and got great MPG.

A Canyon is not a small truck. I have no desire to buy a $40k diesel either, that gets nowhere near the mpg of the old truck I had. Granted with cleaner burning diesels you will lose a little but there is no reason why the rest of the world gets vehicles like this but we do not.
The market provides what the market demands. If more people would have bought the small Toyota, Isuzu, Datsun and VW pickups they'd still be making and selling them.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Those of us who are actually walking the walk, aren't the ones who are criticizing you.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Those of us who are actually walking the walk, aren't the ones who are criticizing you.
You are the minority.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I know it's a snarky-sounding title, but...

It seems to me that a significant percentage of "greenies" (I do not know what percentage) kind of get off on this whole thing, become "holier than thou," but don't really live what they preach.

I've been condescended to for driving a truck, among other things. I also don't appear - at all - to be the environmentalist type. However, my wife & I drive very few miles, we have super-insulated and sealed all the houses we have owned (and still own), we garden, and have planted literally thousands of trees over the past 40 years. In short, we "live" green.

We were green before it was cool. But we've done it because it makes sense. We love the Creator, and Creation.

So why are some (so many?) "self-proclaimed environmentalists" so condescending, and also so hypocritical? I really don't understand the mindset.

Same thing with vegans and vegetarians. I love nature and animals but I still want to eat pasture raised meat on occasion. Some people just feel and/or act superior because of their beliefs. Sometimes the newbies are the worst ones, kind of like an ex-smoker.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Because you're doing something that they disagree with.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
I know it's a snarky-sounding title, but...

It seems to me that a significant percentage of "greenies" (I do not know what percentage) kind of get off on this whole thing, become "holier than thou," but don't really live what they preach.

I've been condescended to for driving a truck, among other things. I also don't appear - at all - to be the environmentalist type. However, my wife & I drive very few miles, we have super-insulated and sealed all the houses we have owned (and still own), we garden, and have planted literally thousands of trees over the past 40 years. In short, we "live" green.

We were green before it was cool. But we've done it because it makes sense. We love the Creator, and Creation.

So why are some (so many?) "self-proclaimed environmentalists" so condescending, and also so hypocritical? I really don't understand the mindset.
Just relax because it's just human nature and it 'allows' people to feel higher/better/bigger than the rest of their fellow humans and it's not just 'living green'. It can be living in a better neighborhood, going to a better school, wearing better clothing, driving an expensive car (did someone say Prius?), marrying the right guy/gal, going on bigger, better, and longer vacations, having smart kids, having smart dogs, cats, birds and way better jobs!

I'm sure I missed something. Did I mention Peta and fur coats, leather coats, silk blouses?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
The market provides what the market demands. If more people would have bought the small Toyota, Isuzu, Datsun and VW pickups they'd still be making and selling them.
I sold cars back when you could buy small trucks. The Mazda SE-5 was a great little truck. We sold lots of them. Manufacturers said people wouldn't buy hybrids either......until Toyota offered a good one and people bought them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living