Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:16 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
If you manage to inspire others and managed to have 1000-s of people "converted" to greeneys instead if you just doing on your own, which one has more impact? Not to say the way you live is insignificant, however dont underestimate the effort others are making just because it does not fit your style.
But that's the problem. You're not converting people to being green. This is just like the anti-Trump people going ape nuts every day of this past 6 months. You THINK you're swaying public opinion, but what you're really doing is turning people against your cause.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:50 PM

504 posts, read 300,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It comes with driving a Prius.
I only know 3 Prius owners.

All voted Trump, all don't care about being green. Weird, huh?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 PM

926 posts, read 978,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Maybe. Or maybe, based on the responses the last few pages, you like to pick fights with people and be obnoxious and condescending yourself. A little bit. Maybe.
Yes this guy called Volvo Driver is total idiot. He needs to take some elementary class, critical thinking and SAT exams.
Talking to him is like talking to someone with Alzheimer's he forgets immediately or does not understand or can not process at all what is told to him. I already wasted several posts trying to him understand basic stuff.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Yes this guy called Volvo Driver is total idiot. He needs to take some elementary class, critical thinking and SAT exams.
Talking to him is like talking to someone with Alzheimer's he forgets immediately or does not understand or can not process at all what is told to him. I already wasted several posts trying to him understand basic stuff.
Aren't you the genius who thinks that car companies should share technology and, as a result, cars will be cheaper and better?

Thinking is not your strong suit is it?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
To my dear sanctimonious greenies,thank you! Continue to live that lifestyle. It inspires me to learn and be more mindful. Darn tooting that I'll listen and be cognizant .
None here is perfect..And splitting hairs makes for a bad hair day
Greenliving is a great alternative to us budget friendly folks.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
Quote:
lol. exactly. he doesn't seem to understand argument in general. he's like a 4th grader, every time he's proved wrong, he brings up something completely unrelated as a response.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
To my dear sanctimonious greenies,thank you! Continue to live that lifestyle. It inspires me to learn and be more mindful. Darn tooting that I'll listen and be cognizant .
None here is perfect..And splitting hairs makes for a bad hair day
Greenliving is a great alternative to us budget friendly folks.
Thank YOU! I think this is the attitude that people should have, about any cause that's important to them. It's not about me, or you, it's about the environment. And if people claim to care about the environment, then they should be doing what they can and also be celebrating others for doing what they're doing as well, not trying to argue about who does more, and labeling people and calling them hypocrites. We should be united, instead of divided, by our common cause.

that's also a good point, and a big reason many bike, walk, or take the bus. not because we think we're "better" than anyone. maybe it would make the OP feel less threatened to know that a lot of those people he sees biking and seemingly assumes are so "sanctimonious," are really just poor.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I'm also vegetarian. I don't go around saying anything. I don't even really talk to anyone. I think it is more typical that people assume certain things, because they feel threatened by people that are different from them, and assume things, because of their own preconcieved notions and defensiveness. I've heard plenty of people saying rude, discriminatory things about vegetarians. I can only assume it's because they feel threatened and defensive, by people that are different from them. If they were saying the same things about people from a different race or other "protected group", (in public) it wouldn't be tolerated.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Choosing not to eat meat does not put you into a "protected class."

Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 PM

^did I say it did? I said that derogatory comments about other 'groups' of people generally aren't tolerated, which is why people don't usually make them in public. Yet, I've heard plenty of people making rude comments about vegetarians. It seems it's one of the few "acceptable" forms of bigotry or discrimination.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:32 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
^did I say it did? I said that derogatory comments about other 'groups' of people generally aren't tolerated, which is why people don't usually make them in public. Yet, I've heard plenty of people making rude comments about vegetarians. It seems it's one of the few "acceptable" forms of bigotry or discrimination.
I never have a foul word to say about anyone who chooses to eat differently from how I do, whether they avoid pork, all meat products, all animal products, whatever. What other people choose to put in their mouth is their business, not mine.

Still, comparing vegetarianism to being in a protected class is ridiculous. That's a choice that you made in your life. Protected classes include things like race, disabilities...not the same thing at all.

Some people absolutely do act sanctimonious about things like being vegetarian/vegan, being "green," etc. Non-veggies and non-greenies don't tend to act "sanctimonious" about such matters. They might ask a lot of questions or act as if they don't understand a different way of life, but they are less prone to be "sanctimonious" about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living