Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 PM

504 posts, read 300,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I said many. I already mentioned that I walk and bike, and many who do, also ride the bus, so I said we, to include everyone who uses any of those forms of transportation.

your 'beliefs' have proven to be skewed.
What you wrote though, used the term "we", and that means YOU were part of the "we".

"...and a big reason many bike, walk, or take the bus. not because we think we're "better" than anyone.

I walk, hike, bike, and use my truck as appropriate. And suspect have put on more miles walking/biking than you ever will. Time to dismount your pony.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
What you wrote though, used the term "we", and that means YOU were part of the "we".

"...and a big reason many bike, walk, or take the bus. not because we think we're "better" than anyone.

I walk, hike, bike, and use my truck as appropriate. And suspect have put on more miles walking/biking than you ever will. Time to dismount your pony.
whether I do or not - who cares? you are aware that buses run, whether I or anyone else is on them, right? given the amount of people that they carry, they are still more efficient than the hundreds of other cars on the road carrying 1 person.

and what makes you so sure about that? I think the only one's on ponies, around here, are you and the OP. are you sharing the same one? because of course that would be more environmentally friendly.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:09 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Leonardo DiCaprio flies coast to coast, in his own personal jet about 4X a month, and whines about environmentalism every chance he gets.

He says: "do as I say, not as I do, little people!"
The example that always comes to my mind is when the United Nations Environmental Conference was held in Cancun, MX, a gorgeous piece of paradise which is being overstressed by the vacation demands of the rich.

Seems to me it would have been more ecologically sound to hold the conference by computer.

I see this kind of waste at a lower, but equally extravagant, level by our state departments. People have lived so well and with such an abundance for so long I doubt that we will ever be able to cut back. Everybody's an exception to the rule in this culture!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:18 AM

504 posts, read 300,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
whether I do or not - who cares? you are aware that buses run, whether I or anyone else is on them, right? given the amount of people that they carry, they are still more efficient than the hundreds of other cars on the road carrying 1 person.

and what makes you so sure about that? I think the only one's on ponies, around here, are you and the OP. are you sharing the same one? because of course that would be more environmentally friendly.
Unless you are a senior like me, I can guarantee I have walked, or more likely biked, many, many thousands of miles more than you have, or likely are to. Busses are for those that are cop-outs on biking.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:54 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
This isn't an environmental purity test. Those who ride the bus and/or bike are both helping and should be applauded. BTW around here most buses run on natural gas.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I just know that I don't want to be aligned with either side of the discussion as presented here.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I know it's a snarky-sounding title, but...

It seems to me that a significant percentage of "greenies" (I do not know what percentage) kind of get off on this whole thing, become "holier than thou," but don't really live what they preach.

I've been condescended to for driving a truck, among other things. I also don't appear - at all - to be the environmentalist type. However, my wife & I drive very few miles, we have super-insulated and sealed all the houses we have owned (and still own), we garden, and have planted literally thousands of trees over the past 40 years. In short, we "live" green.

We were green before it was cool. But we've done it because it makes sense. We love the Creator, and Creation.

So why are some (so many?) "self-proclaimed environmentalists" so condescending, and also so hypocritical? I really don't understand the mindset.

I look at myself as a conservationist, not an environmentalist and was one before many of environmentalists were born. There is a vast difference between doing and talking. Other than Ed Begley, mostly what I hear is talk. At least he was practicing (can only assume he still is) what he preached.

Example was when we lived in Colorado. Beautiful state, with so much to protect. And the people there had a good balance. Then Californians discovered the state and began moving in droves from California. And with all that money they had from selling homes at California prices, they drove the market in Colorado to build more huge McMansions, that required more heat in a state with long winters, and covenants that required bluegrass lawns and sprinkler systems in an essentially desert climate. Yet they were proclaiming to everyone how important the environment was so long as it was everyone else who did the compromising.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Glad you could finally get out of bed and come make a couple inane comments.
So your response to the claim that you yourself have made a sanctimony and hypocritical thread is just to make your own inane comments like saying someone's just got out of bed at 3pm?

Do you only do that which you acccuse other of?

This thread I literally no more than the best example of hypocrisy I have ever seen. everyone is a hypocrite now and again, but you literally are trying to feel better about your own by acting sanctimonious in a thread you title "sanctimonious much". It isn't "greenies" with the problem here, OP.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The bus. The giant, diesel, soot-belching bus.

Hypocrite.
This is an example of your hypocrisy. The average transit bus replaces the same route driven by 40 cars, the average city bus averages 12 people across all stops. The average bus get 6-8 mpg, the average car in the US 24 mpg. So as long as the bus has at least 4 people in it it is more efficient. And a diesel bus (which by the way is declining while bus ridership is increasing) has much stricter emissions than a similar car, and in fact transit busses have a higher percentage of electric, hybrid, or biodiesel technology than passenger cars do.

So not only are you wrong about buses, you are also yet again a hypocrite for taking someone to task for your glaring ignorance.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - U.S. Transit Buses by Fuel Type
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/26758.pdf

Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Bikegall doesn't care at all about how hot/cold she keeps her apartment, whether windows are closed in the winter, or if there is any insulation anywhere.

But she sure is proud of being too poor to do anything but ride her bike around. It makes her better than other people.
Roflmao

Here we go again. You have no idea what she does or does not do in her apartment. But you are making assumptions about her based on nothing more than her screenname. Meanwhile you pr OP ******* about being condescended to because you don't look like an environmentalist. LITERALLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO THIS PERSON.

At least you are consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living