Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hey now - we are NOT interested in things like this. We just want to run around screaming, "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!"
The sky isn't falling we are just raising the CAFE standard, implementing Cap & Trade, and establishing a national renewable energy standard. No fuss, no muss. Just getting on with business.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,198 times
Quote:
The sky isn't falling we are just raising the CAFE standard, implementing Cap & Trade, and establishing a national renewable energy standard. No fuss, no muss. Just getting on with business.
Correction "CAP & TAX"...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL 79 scientists who are researching climate change responded to the survey. 97% of those believe global climate change is a problem. The survey was sent to all geoscience researchers. Most of those aren't actively involved in climate research as the article indicates and tabulates. I don't know how many PHD research climatologist we have, but it isn't 7 thousand. But all surveys, regardless of methodology have declines. 30% participation rate is about what the national survey organization deal with.

What I have is an understanding of statistical inference. Something I suspect you lack.
Well there are certainly more than 79 scientists who are researching climate change. And I know how to report statistics fairly well, certainly much better than you do.

Moderator cut: No flaming

Last edited by vec101; 06-21-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
1992 article. Sweet. Very current.
The same applies now than before, maybe even more so.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Just an engineer poking holes in the nonsense spread by deniers. The big lobbying money in this space comes from API.
As I have stated, I have BSc and MSc in hydrology and hydraulic engineering (including statistics). And your credentials? Do you have a BSc in engineering? Or are you an engineer from the Navy? (You know, engineer: turn this knob, turn that knob.)

Last edited by vec101; 06-21-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Several posts back you mentioned to someone if they knew the difference between Anthropogenic CO2 and Volcanic CO2?

On the point of Volcanic CO2, I do remember observing over the decades that such eruptions of that large volcano near Mexico city, Mount St Helens, Mount Pinatubo and others which blew tons upon tons of debri into the upper atmosphere actually brought more rains to Southern California. Despite the sad destruction and even loss of life, my part of the world benefitted somewhat, though at times we did get very bad flooding.
Yes, very good point. One volcanic eruption can make large-scale, but short-term, changes. The cumulative effect, however, of many eruptions is probably as not as well-researched as it should be.

How Volcanoes affect the climate

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Global warming cooled off around 1998 say reputable scientists. Government scientists gagged from making these claims. Read about it.

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998 - Telegraph

Just one quote for our policy wonk friends.

There are other reasons, too, why the public hears so little in detail from those scientists who approach climate change issues rationally, the so-called climate sceptics. Most are to do with intimidation against speaking out, which operates intensely on several parallel fronts.

First, most government scientists are gagged from making public comment on contentious issues, their employing organisations instead making use of public relations experts to craft carefully tailored, frisbee-science press releases. Second, scientists are under intense pressure to conform with the prevailing paradigm of climate alarmism if they wish to receive funding for their research. Third, members of the Establishment have spoken declamatory words on the issue, and the kingdom's subjects are expected to listen.

The sadness, really, is that the science gets removed and replaced by politics. Policy wonks become more important than scientists. Both should be allowed to have informed opinions, but wonkism wins in the end.

Last edited by Teak; 06-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM

And now, a satellite tells us that the earth is cooling! Pffft, probably a god-fearing, republican-voting satellite at that.

SATELLITE INDICATES 23-YEAR GLOBAL COOLING | Center for Global Food Issues (http://www.cgfi.org/2008/05/05/satellite-indicates-23-year-global-cooling/ - broken link)

Someone ask the satellite: who did you vote for in 2000? 2004? 2008?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Just an engineer, eh? In another thread, you claimed to be former Navy, right?
That's correct the Navy needs technically competent people in critical positions. That was many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
For the record, rlchurch, what are your academic credentials?

As I have stated, I have BSc and MSc in hydrology and hydraulic engineering (including statistics). And your credentials? Do you have a BSc in engineering? Or are you an engineer from the Navy? (You know, engineer: turn this knob, turn that knob.)[
BSEE, Navy qualified Chief Engineer for nuclear propulsion plant, PE, MBA in finance, 30 years experience in the energy industry.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by vec101; 06-21-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Okay, finally.

I have a son working on a BSc in Electrical Engineering; good degree to have.

I just want to keep god-bashing and republican-bashing out of a thread discussing global warming, okay. Can we agree to that? Good.

The science of climate change is still inexact and much is unknown. Certainly there are policy decisions that need to be made despite the lack of evidence and knowledge, but those decisions will have long-term effects and may not solve the problems anyway.

I prefer to listen to both sides. You learn more that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living