Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 AM

154 posts, read 533,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Global Warming....lol...lol...lol...where are you AL...this is better than Saturday Nite Live....what a joke....lol..lol...lol...
This is what I call a fantastic argument, so sound.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,380 times
Quote:
This is what I call a fantastic argument, so sound.
I know...I know...what can I say...especially when its 28 degrees this morning in Boston...and its only October 20... I know...I know..ITS CLIMATE CHANGE SILLY...whatever...)

Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I know...I know...what can I say...especially when its 28 degrees this morning in Boston...and its only October 20... I know...I know..ITS CLIMATE CHANGE SILLY...whatever...)
This is an even more compelling argument: it is cold in Boston! How could I have missed that?
Well in NYC, today's temperatures will be: high: 69F, low 50F. The average daily temperatures for NYC on October 20 are: high: 61F, low: 45F.
Would I ever argue from these numbers that the climate is changing? NO.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
This is an even more compelling argument: it is cold in Boston! How could I have missed that?
Well in NYC, today's temperatures will be: high: 69F, low 50F. The average daily temperatures for NYC on October 20 are: high: 61F, low: 45F.
Would I ever argue from these numbers that the climate is changing? NO.
Whatever...sorry..but I do not believe in man made climate change

Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Where I live ( central Minnesota) the global warming threat was that temps would rise and crops would be moving further and further north due to the warming.

Really?

Most farmers are planting shorter day maturing corn than they were 25 years ago.

The 2nd year in a row that very little corn is harvested by Oct 20 due to the cool weather, late maturing, and too high moisture content in the corn.

We used to combine corn full blast in early October.
The last 2 years was November

If global warming keeps up, we won't be combining til December cuz we didn't have enough heat for the corn to mature.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I have never witnessed a snowfall that covered the ground thick, stayed for 3 days, and the trees were still full of green leaves.
I have never witnessed an entire day when the mid October temp only was 29.

Never in my 64 years !( before last week)

KSTP TV just said this October is shaping up to be the coldest October on record in Minnesota.

And global warming alarmists were proclaiming temps rising in MN and its affect on agriculture?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Whatever...sorry..but I do not believe in man made climate change
No apology necessary. As you say, these are your beliefs. But please, don't use strings of "lol" or yesterday's temperature in Boston as arguments to back up your beliefs.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
No apology necessary. As you say, these are your beliefs. But please, don't use strings of "lol" or yesterday's temperature in Boston as arguments to back up your beliefs.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
Can we please stop using our local weather and temps to portrait global patterns? The discussion is on global warming, not Boston warming.

I don't buy into all of the climate change hype, but I still think it is foolish to use local temperature swings to portrait global climate trends. The graph posted above seems a bit more reasonable to me.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Can we please stop using our local weather and temps to portrait global patterns? The discussion is on global warming, not Boston warming.

I don't buy into all of the climate change hype, but I still think it is foolish to use local temperature swings to portrait global climate trends. The graph posted above seems a bit more reasonable to me.
You might check a little deeper into the provenance of that graph. It purports to be based upon data from the satellite temperature data research done at the University of Alabama Huntsville. There are two scientists who lead that efforts John Christy and Roy Spencer. Christy has concluded that their data support anthropogenic climate change, Spencer is a skeptic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Christy for the A G U
The Earth's climate is now clearly out of balance and is warming. Many components of the climate system--including the temperatures of the atmosphere, land and ocean, the extent of sea ice and mountain glaciers, the sea level, the distribution of precipitation, and the length of seasons--are now changing at rates and in patterns that are not natural and are best explained by the increased atmospheric abundances of greenhouse gases and aerosols generated by human activity during the 20th century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Spencer
Contrary to popular accounts, very few scientists in the world - possibly none - have a sufficiently thorough, "big picture" understanding of the climate system to be relied upon for a prediction of the magnitude of global warming. To the public, we all might seem like experts, but the vast majority of us work on only a small portion of the problem
We have two collegues looking at atmospheric temperatures and coming to different conclusion. What they do agree on is this joint statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAH Website
Link (http://www.uah.edu/News/climatebackground.php - broken link)
One of the hottest controversies in climate science is the apparent disagreement between temperature data collected by thermometers at the surface and the satellite dataset.

"Global" surface thermometer networks show a warming trend of approximately 1.7 degrees Celsius per century — about 3° Fahrenheit.

The satellite data show a warming trend of 1.4 C or about 2.52° F per century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living