Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krulik View Post
I don't consider myself a global warming "zealot" but a responsible citizen of the world. I think that reasonable people are not advocating elimination but reduction of our carbon footprint.
As such, I try to do my best to reduce the amount of energy I spend at home. I do not drive a car but use public transportation, I do not drive a pickup or a truck. I do fly though as it is hard to get across the US or abroad without flying. I do not wear synthetic fiber (I think that is what you meant).
And, I don't have ANY financial interest in the business of promoting or detracting global warming.

I do agree however, with your statement about the "fossil fuel side" not spending money on environmental propaganda and putting their money elsewhere. For example: lobbying to get authorizations for more drilling, such as in Utah. These authorizations are often questionable (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/sc.../09leases.html).
"The Department of the Interior has frozen oil and gas development on 60 of 77 contested drilling sites in Utah, saying the process of leasing the land was rushed and badly flawed" (october 9, 2009 NY Times).
The honest fact is that global warming and cooling IS going to happen - and is going to do so completely apart from human involvement.

That said, there is no excuse for NOT doing everything we can to live as "green" as possible.

I'm amazed by how many people - who consider themselves Christians - are almost proud of being environmentally destructive. If they believe in a Creator, wouldn't they want to do everything possible to take care of Creation?

I'm equally amazed by how many pro-environmentalists are flat out hypocritical and dishonest. Al Gore would certainly fall in that camp.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What have you - personally - done to eliminate your carbon footprint? Do you drive a car? A pickup or a truck? Do you fly? Do you consume electricity or heating fuel of any kind? Do you guy any clothing that has synthetic fibers in it?
Fair question.
1. My electricity comes from wind and my other energy source is natural gas
2. My house has been insulated and the heating & a/c systems are pretty much state of the art, given the constraints of living in an 80 year old house.
3. I take public transportation to work about 90% of the time.

OK Bubba? Am I pure enough for you?

Quote:
And why is Al Gore's house "off limits"? Are you going to try to assert that that is irrelevant? Or the fact that he flies all over the country in a chartered jet, blowing exhaust into the atmosphere, telling us not to pollute? Why is the flagrant hypocrisy of the Global Warming Zealots off limits?
It has a zero carbon footprint. The fact that Gore is wealthy and lives in a big house is beside the point. Carbon neutrality doesn't require a life of privation and living without. It requires making intelligent choices about the environment.

Quote:
And by the way, the "fossil fuel side" is NOT spending massive amounts of money on environmental propaganda. They don't need to. They're putting their money elsewhere.
You need to get out more. Check out API's annual budget.

Quote:
I know this becomes personal to you, and likely could affect your income, but please try to be at least partially open-minded here.
My income is doing quite well and will do better as the country move to more carbon neutral technologies. What happens on C-D is irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
-----"my electricity comes from wind "--

No it doesn't.

Not unless one of 2 things is happening--#1--you have your own windmil
----------------------------------------#2-- you buy electricity from a power company and the electric lines runs from windmills to your hoiuse.

Since your electricity comes from the same electric lines as your neighbor, you are as big a hypocrite as Al Gore !

Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Fair question.
1. My electricity comes from wind and my other energy source is natural gas
2. My house has been insulated and the heating & a/c systems are pretty much state of the art, given the constraints of living in an 80 year old house.
3. I take public transportation to work about 90% of the time.

OK Bubba? Am I pure enough for you?

It has a zero carbon footprint. The fact that Gore is wealthy and lives in a big house is beside the point. Carbon neutrality doesn't require a life of privation and living without. It requires making intelligent choices about the environment.

You need to get out more. Check out API's annual budget.

My income is doing quite well and will do better as the country move to more carbon neutral technologies. What happens on C-D is irrelevant.
First of all, I'm not Bubba. So you can knock off the condescending little crap, as though you're talking to some uneducated hillbilly.

And no, you're NOT living environmentally friendly enough. You're a hypocrite.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
My Porsche gets 30 mpg!

And PJM my control area operator recognizes that they have the ability to differentiate the resources assigned to my consumption. One posters ignorance does not equal lack of ability to assign loads and resources. If that were true George Bush would rule supreme. He being the most ignorant.
So more hypocrisy has been exposed.

It doesn't matter if your Porsche gets 30 mpg. You're still blowing exhaust into the atmosphere.

And the idea that your electricity comes only from wind generators is absolute nonsense. It is rather hilarious that you'd claim that, though.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Omaha Rocks,

I have to admit...rlchurch is right...I was wrong...his porsche is not a gas guzzler...filler up...ding
Wow, that IS a gas sipper! Sorry.

That said, think of all the petroleum used in the making of the plastic. All the fossil fuels used in the smelting of the metals. Just the manufacturing of that car would produce enough various exhausts to blow an even bigger hole in the ozone (by the way, why aren't we still hearing about the Ozone Hole?).

I just can't believe that somebody who so relentlessly preaches about the environment doesn't actually try to take care of said environment.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 AM

154 posts, read 534,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Omaha Rocks,

I have to admit...rlchurch is right...I was wrong...his porsche is not a gas guzzler...filler up...ding
I think that attacks like this post from tonyandclaire are completely irrelevant of the topic of global warming and how reasonable people are trying to address it by reducing their energy consumption.
It is always sad and disappointing when people have to use such attacks.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krulik View Post
I think that attacks like this post from tonyandclaire are completely irrelevant of the topic of global warming and how reasonable people are trying to address it by reducing their energy consumption.
It is always sad and disappointing when people have to use such attacks.
When a global warming zealot starts bragging about how fuel efficient - and environmentally friendly - his Porsche is, he becomes fair game.

It further highlights the fact that most people, especially those who are always talking about global warming, are NOT living the lifestyle they should be living.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
First of all, I'm not Bubba. So you can knock off the condescending little crap, as though you're talking to some uneducated hillbilly.

And no, you're NOT living environmentally friendly enough. You're a hypocrite.
If you say so. I'm sorry I'm not pure enough for you.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So more hypocrisy has been exposed.

It doesn't matter if your Porsche gets 30 mpg. You're still blowing exhaust into the atmosphere.

And the idea that your electricity comes only from wind generators is absolute nonsense. It is rather hilarious that you'd claim that, though.
All cars right now exhaust to the atmosphere. Mine just less than most. Since I drive it a relatively modest amount over the year, the actual mpg probably doesn't matter at all. I am sensing a little class envy on your part.

And the world of professional utility people would claim you don't have a clue about the flow and accounting for electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living